DustyBoot's kidding thread

DustyBoot

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I realized Saturday that I messed up on getting their birth weights -- I was holding the hanging scale in my hand, which I didn't realize gives inconsistent results. Oops! So I'm not sure of their exact actual birth weights. At about 24 hours, with the scale properly hung, they were both at 7.4 lbs. Today I just weighed them (three days old) and they were both 8.2 lbs. Not sure what sort of growth is ideal, but I can at least say with confidence that they're both gaining weight! They're also pooping, peeing, playing, and generally acting like healthy babies.

DustyBoot

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
This is all new to me so I'm probably easily impressed. But they were 8.2 lbs. on Monday and today (Wednesday) they weighed in at 9.8 and 10 lbs. I just remember trying to get my human babies back above birth weight those first few days. That must be some serious milk.

12.jpg

Checking out what Mama does. We let all three of them out of the pen into a larger paddock for a while, supervised because that electronet is too big to contain the babies.

11.jpg

Little No-Ears.

13.jpg

And Miss Airplane Ears.

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
What cuties! Love the elf ears and airplane ears. They look great and you're right, they grow FAST!

DustyBoot

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Observations from this morning: Airplane Ears is the snuggler and No-Ears is the explorer. At least for today. I scooped Airplane Ears up into my lap and she cuddled right down, rested her chin in the crook of my elbow, and appeared to take a nap. I picked up No-Ears and added her to the lap and she sat quite contentedly... and tasted my coat sleeve, and the snap on the cuff, and the zipper, and my gloves, and the tassels on my hat, and everything she could find. Busy, busy, busy!

I have a committed buyer for both of them, ready to take them after they're weaned. It'll be a good home for them and I'm happy to know where they'll end up. Now I can just relax and enjoy them until it's time for them to go. And I know what to plan for, milking-wise: we'll share for a while, then when they go to their new home I'm on full-time duty.