Dwarf or full-size goats?

OneFineAcre

Herd Master
Reaction score
Also
I don't believe there is a disconnect in how an animal does in the show ring and on linear appraisal and how they produce
Good conformation, good feet and legs, level top line, good udder attachment would mean she would have a longer productive life
It's more than just how much she produces in a year, but how she
produces for 10 or even 12 years :thumbsup

SavannahLeigh

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
We have 3 dwarfs, and their milk is AMAZING! It's literally like drinking full fat half and half!!

goatgirl1022

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Why not try both? I (personally) prefer Nigerian Dwarf milk, because it's sweeter and thicker, but when I mix it with my Alpine milk it tastes like the milk you buy in the store. I like both breeds a lot! Also, are you going to breed them? You could get a Nigerian buck, and a full size female, and get the best of both worlds! Delicious, sweet, milk in larger quantity! :D =D

Amina

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Yep, I am going to breed them. And I'd rather sell babies than just eat them all. I was thinking probably pure, rather than mixed breeds, would sell better, regardless of whether I decide to get registered stock. Plus, I was thinking of just having one breed to minimize my inevitable goat math. :rolleyes: I definitely want some polled genetics in my tiny herd (maybe find a nice polled buck), and I will definitely buy stock that has been tested for CAE, CL, and Johnes. I was also thinking maybe the best way for me to start would be to buy a doe with her baby. Other than that, I haven't decided anything. Maybe we'll just see what turns up when I'm ready.