Electric Fencing?

redtailgal

Reaction score
Did that neighbor offer you any compensation?

Getting rid of the dogs will prevent future losses (provided he doesnt turn around and get more) but the RIGHT thing for him to do would be to compensate you for what you have already lost.

By not doing so, he is placing all the blame on those dogs, the very dogs HE was responsible for. Sure, the dogs need to go. But he should step up to the plate. Ooh, that burns me up, when folks just "get rid of them" without making things right.

WHEW! I feel better now, lol. Got that off my chest.

I am sorry for your losses, and I hope that your fencing works out for ya.

CrazyCatNChickenLady

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Sorry for your losses. Soundly like you have the same preditor problem as me!

When I was having bad bear problems with one particular bear the Department of Fish & Game recommended at least 5 strands starting at 6" from the ground and going up at 5" increments. I have also seen alternating ground wire and hot wire, just make sure they dont cross. Put the hotwire on the outside a few feet out from your other fence, otherwise a bear or something else big can just barge right through it(from experience). The shock has trouble going through really thick fur so your basically looking to shock a curious nose. Running and charging barbed wire is also an option as it cuts through the fur. I have also gotten the suggestion of hanging a tin pan with food from the wire with something conductive, preditors will lick and get shocked that way, bacon hanging on the wire as mentioned too. Also dont skimp on a charger. If its not a strong enough shock some animals will test the wire and realize it pulses. Mine sends a pulse usually every second. Grounding poles at least 8 feet in the ground in a damp spot helps too.. Good luck!

greenbean

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
redtailgal -

He said when tax time comes he'll pay me back, however right before that he said he had to get out of there (he's being evicted I'm guessing) so they'd be gone in a few days anyway and he'd get rid of them. So I highly doubt I will ever get anything back for them. If you look at how much I paid for the rabbits alone (not including cages, food, etc) it'd be over $300. If you add onto that my damaged cages (ripped wire off the bottoms and sides of some, will have to rebuild them), water bottles that were chewed through, etc., I have no idea how much that would total to, but I doubt he'd be able to afford it (not trying to be mean). I'd be fine if he just came and helped rebuild cages, atleast that's something ya know?

Thank you! It sucks, they killed all my best show quality rabbits :/ And most of the does were bred. (I didn't want to waste the meat so I butchered them and they were definitely pregnant, gave the meat to my ferrets.) Hopefully I won't have a problem with them anymore

CrazyCatNChickenLady -

Thank you! I'll talk to my uncle about this and see what he thinks. I was thinking about doing the strands at 5" increments like you said, but havn't really made my mind up yet. Did it work good for you?

greenbean

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Had two does kindle last night (day 24-25) I'm guessing from the stress of yesterdays attack :( The babies were literally the size (if not smaller) of my thumb. I can still feel babies though so I'm hoping everything will be okay, I brought all my does into the house for the night and put the bucks into the wood shed. I'm calling AC tomorrow, their dogs are running loose again. :barnie :(

greenbean

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
So last time I called AC they said there was nothing I could do, and my neighbors still had the dogs. This morning I started to walk outside to feed and water everyone/check for babies. There were the dogs, I grabbed the closest thing to me which was a rake and took off after them, I hit one of them twice and it took off back towards the neighbors. They killed Farita and all her babies, I burst out crying when I realized the lump on the ground was Farita and she was ALIVE, but not able to move, her back leg was separated from her body, her stomach was squishy and bloated (later realized it was blood), her jaw was broken, and she was missing part of her shoulder... I picked her up and held her crying, she just looked at me and passed away while I was holding her. They killed my Gray ES buck, one of my chocolate does that aborted her litter after the previous attack, one of my lilac does, and I'm missing a chocolate buck, I'm hoping that he comes back just fine, but I'm not getting my hopes up. Pumpkin also had her litter, and I guess while the dogs were attacking, the stress from it caused her to kill her babies, I managed to save 2, but the others were all torn up, I'm not sure what to do with the two surviving ones. I had a panick attack after Farita died, I was crying, shaking, hyperventilating and got sick to my stomach, I was the only one home, luckily my uncle and grandmaw got home and heard me then got me to calm down. My uncle drove over to the neighbors house and the guy said for him to call AC if I didn't want them to kill my rabbits. Then my uncle called AC and they told him to tell me to call and file a dangerous dog report. So I called and they came out and took pictures of the damaged cages and the deceased rabbits. He then drove over to the neighbors and I have no idea what happened after that. I hope they took the dogs, I can't handle much more of this.

redtailgal

Reaction score
Wow. Just wow.

I am so sorry. People can be so crappy.

If those dogs showed up again, I would personally see them to their grave.

greenbean

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Thanks yall, I lost 3 more due to injuries, I was hoping they would get better but today they went wayyy down hill so I thought it would be best to just put them down so they wouldn't suffer.

I'm pretty sure we're taking them to court, I have to make some calls though.

On the bright side, I found my missing buck! It was my chocolate tort english spot buck Brock, not my chocolate buck, I realized that after going back and looking at the cages. I walked through the woods for about an hour looking for him and gave up for the day because it was getting dark. I walk towards the house and there he sits, under the poarch munching on some weeds :lol: He ran up to me and let me pick him up, he was fine, no signs of injury at all! He got a lot of extra treats, him and his brother Houston were the two the dogs got out of their cages but they apparently got away because neither have wounds. They're my old men haha, I've had them for around 6 years now, so they're about 7 years old and still producing litters like pros.

goodhors

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Guess I would be handing the owners a bill for the replacement cost
of the dead stock. Hope you took photos for legal evidence, in case
you have to go after them in court. Sick as it sounds, you may want
to dig them back up to take pictures, if you haven't got the photos already

Loose dogs damage things, then dog owners need to pay for the repair
or replacement of animals, vet expenses to animals that were cause by
the dogs. Local laws usually cover this livestock damage issue quite clearly.

DO NOT delay in filing a Police report on the damage, dates and times,
photos. Show Police the dead animals. Should have done it when dogs
came by the first time. You need to make a legal record so things are not just
heresay evidence, your word against theirs.

You would best off reporting this immediately. Tell them you want the
money NOW.