Fair Prices?

greybeard

Herd Master
Reaction score
@greybeard Don't they give cows two months off like they do goats?

I'm not a dairy person, but I think they do, which is why I used quotations in my sentence.

"Assuming" 365 days of production..

The chart I posted a link to is using average yearly production for each breed. Some individuals will be higher of course... some will be lower.

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
However, Jerseys have super high butterfat so they really can't compete with a goat in that aspect. I personally would love a small cow for whipped cream and butter. But not at that price.

OneFineAcre

Herd Master
Reaction score
However, Jerseys have super high butterfat so they really can't compete with a goat in that aspect. I personally would love a small cow for whipped cream and butter. But not at that price.

Yeah
I don't think the OP has a lot
Of experience with livestock but
Maybe I'm wrong
I hate to say this but maybe before you spend 3 Grand for a mini jersey you could ease into dairy animals with a couple of $300 Alpines or Sannens
The learning curve is less expensive

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Hey guys, sorry, I was testing for the last 2 days and hurt so much I can barely walk besides being REALLY TIRED. Got up at 2:15 this a.m. to be in a barn by 3:30 to set up to milk at 4:00, 70 cows,done and left about 7:30; and then tested a 240 cow herd this afternoon and am a walking zombie right now. Just got in about 9 p.m.. On top of the fact it was 53* at 3 a.m. and 30*at 9 a.m. and down to 24* at 9 p.m. and the wind is blowing like it was going to be a blizzard but the skies are clearing...Talk about PNUEMONIA weather....

Okay. My opinion.... WAY OVERPRICED. Yeah, these mini breeds are supposed to be all the rage.... remember when ostriches were "THE THING" ???? Then EMU'S . I have next to no experience with any of the mini breeds except they are "CUTE"... and I am sure they have a place in the scheme of things; not here, and not practical in my opinion.

So that said; on an average a good holstein will make 25-35,000 lbs a year on a normal 2x a day milking. At 8.6 lbs per gal as GB said, that is Alot of milk for any household. Say 11-12 gal per 100 lbs for round figures. There are some huge records, and most are made on 3x or even 4x milking and some are made on cows using the robots and they can go in to be milked as often as they want. Most high producers will go in an average of 3-4x a day because they are getting feed in there and they like the relief of the milk being taken out more often. Think beef calf nursing often all day...or like the kids and lambs that stay with their mommas. Those cows making those huge records are also eating an average of OVER 100 lbs. roughage - hay, silage etc.- plus grain. I'm talking costing over $15.00 per cow per day, just for feed, and that is figuring that this is "bulk" feed prices since the farmer is making all his own feed....
I have tested alot that will make over 100 lbs a day for 2 to 6 months when they first come fresh. The farm I tested today had 27 that were averaging 100 to 140 lbs a day right now. Most will peak between 60 and 120 days then gradually drop off.
Most jerseys that I test will make 15,000 lbs a year or more. Avg 50 lbs day/ for 305 day lactation. That's 10 months milking, 2 months rest/dry. It varies. In the beginning they will make 50-75 lbs a day, by dry off time they are down to 20lbs a day.
Feed, weather, temps, all contribute to the differences from one farm to another. Silage/grain/hay as opposed to a grass/hay/grazing diet...
If you feed alot of grain, they will make more. The cost per gal will increase as the cost of the "inputs" increases.
I am satisfied with my cows making 2-4 gallons a milking, more when they are fresh and less when they have been in production for awhile. I do feed grain when they are in the barn, but I don't "pour the feed to them".
Yes there are jerseys that will make 5-8 gallons a day, but not for a long period of time.

The harder you push the production level, the more problems you can have. Also, most cows that are making alot of milk in the early stages of lactation, are in what we call a "negative energy" balance. They are literally milking the fat off their back. They also are less likely to come back in heat, and seldom settle to a first breeding. The average time from freshening to successful breeding is 120 days. The harder you push for milk, the longer it often takes to get them bred back.

Normal jerseys, will weigh in the 800 to 1000 lb size. They cost an average of $1,000 bred to calve, or already in milk. And when you no longer want them/need them or something happens they do have a salvage value of about .45-.55 lb. as a cull cow. So say $400 back. I do know that any "mini" sized animal will be at give away prices at the stock yards if you need to sell it for any reason. And if it is not producing, then it isn't worth "diddly-squat". They take up space and there is no salvage value to a kill buyer. The size is the biggest deterrent.

I don't know much about the genetics of the "mini" breeds. I do know that jerseys and dexters are both normally horned. There are Polled jersey bulls available, and I have a couple in my semen tank for future breeding as I hate dealing with dehorning. But the genetics are very limiting. And you are sacrificing something to get the polled gene since it is not the "natural" state of the breed. Jerseys usually have next to no calving problems unless they are bred to some kind of huge bull. Ours calve to a holstein as easily as to an angus. They spit out a jersey calf. The cow MOSTLY controls the actual size of the calf, and feeding has a big influence. You don't feed them to be fat butterballs when they are pregnant. There are some breeds that I would not want them to be preg to because of the overall size/build of the breed.
Since I don't know the mini-jerseys, I can't say but I would think that averaging 4 gal a day would be pretty good. Aagain, inputs will determine alot of it.

If it were me, I wouldn't pay over 1000 for a bred jersey or a jersey cow in milk. You can buy a registered jersey heifer at a state sale for little over 1000. The cattle markets are way off from 2 years ago and you have to be practical. A jersey bred to an angus will give you a good calf to raise for the freezer, and if a heifer, she will make enough milk, for the house, and still feed a calf.

AClark

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I don't know how true it is, but I swear I read somewhere that even the Dexter cattle with their mini size, still eat about as much as a full size dairy cow, and give about half the milk. That the feed to milk ratio makes them more of a novelty than as a great milker for a small farm. I did some reading up on them way back before settling on getting goats instead, not just for the feed economy, but the fact that I knew I wouldn't know what to do with 4+ gallons of milk per day.
The only up side I can see to it is if you're afraid you're going to be over run with milk and want something that produces less - in that case, I think I'd get a goat or two, OR you can leave the calf on momma for half the day and then you don't have to bottle feed and can still get plenty of milk, even for a huge family and out of a full size dairy cow.

cjc

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Well...it is what @greybeard said...what is she worth to you? If she was sold at auction by the pound then I think she would go for about $800 even bred. BUT! I have definitely paid $3,000 for a cow with potential. So if she is worth $2,500 to you then that is what she is worth.

To give you an idea of price I paid $1,200 for a pure bred registered Jersey that was 8 months pregnant with a calf that could be registered. My self personally I would pay more for a second time calfer than a heifer in a heart beat. If she is a good cow and one you plan to keep on the farm for yourself then heck, that's what she is worth. I would be lying if I told I didn't pay way over value for a few cows in our herd but at the same time we don't make a dollar on our farm just the healthy tax break the Canadian government gives us on everything else.

So yes, she's over priced for sure but it doesn't mean she is over priced to you or them. If you like her a lot and you plan to keep her for yourself then pay the man.

USpony

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I appreciate getting so many answers to my question. This sight is golden for a beginner like me. I had a feeling that amish guy may have been adding on an "English" tax to his price. That may have been why there was no price listed. He could change it according to who came to look. He really saw me coming.

I have no interest in novelty or little because they are cute (big Jerseys are cute too). What I wanted was a homestead cow that could produce milk on grass for our family. I thought small cows would be more efficient with their feed. A gallon a day for us and the rest for the calf is more than enough. After reading your comments I have been researching standard sized Jerseys. I found a farm in Atlanta (Dad and me Farm) that sells %100 grass fed milk from standard sized Jerseys. He only gets 2 gallons a day since he gives no grain, but that could be great type cow for us!

My plan is evolving as I am learning. I'll look for a regular sized Jersey when I am ready for a cow. They are more common and priced more realistically. Over time I could still breed her down by using small Jersey and Dexter bulls if I wish. Going to the amish farm was worth it just to be around the cattle and experience the Jersey temperament.

USpony

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I forgot to mention, I have gotten my feet wet with milking because I had a little Nigerian goat I milked. I sold her before I started nursing school as I knew I wouldn't have time. Problem was, no one in the family would drink the goat milk but one of my daughters and me. Her milk was very nice and creamy though. Also with the cow it will be easier to get the cream for butter and other things. $1200 for a bred second calf cow with calf as side sounds amazing! I wonder if I could find one like that?

cjc

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Did you happen to experience any Jersey bull temperament while you were there?
They can be an eye opener..........

I have my first jersey bull calf, well recently just turned him into a steer because I honestly have no idea what to do with him. But, he has the funniest personality of all the cows we have ever had. That being said our vet warned me they can be the worst of the worst temperament wise. This is also the only hand raised calf I've had that won't let me touch him.