Fair Prices?

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
but they are not sure if she was bred to the mini bull or to the white faced bull they used to have running around.

I know you've already moved off this but: I know nothing about the reasonable price for the animal, this still turned my head. Bred but they don't know to which bull?? I think I'd rather buy from someone who has some control over their operation.

I didn't do any hard research but had thought that a mini might be a good choice for someone who wants less milk and if raising beef animals, less beef. The kind of people who would buy 1/4 or 1/2 of a full size animal because that is all they need in a year. Easier to handle small animals, right?

remember when ostriches were "THE THING" ???? Then EMU'S
Then alpacas!

USpony

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I agree. He should know what his animals are up to. My concern with the white faced bull would be size. It may not have been a mini and I'd be worried about calving problems. I am off these cows now that I understand I can get into cows by a less expensive route.

cheyenne

Just born
Reaction score
Does anyone know what a fair or good price to by a calf or steer at?

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
My guess is people will need a lot more information such as where you are located, breed of animal, etc. Since you are asking "steer or calf" I ASSUME you mean a beef animal. Clearly a calf would cost less than an older animal.

I, personally, have no idea what one would cost no matter how much information you can provide ;)

greybeard

Herd Master
Reaction score
"Fair" is a subjective term.
If the seller can get x2 what it would sell for to anyone else, that seller thinks that's fair.
If the buyer can get it for 1/2 what it would cost elsewhere, the buyer thinks that is fair.

Anywhere from $85 to several hundred $--maybe more, depending on:.
How old?
Breed?
Known Sire pedigree if from registered stock?
Approx weight of the animal at purchase?
From sale barn, private treaty, or off craigslist type listings?
Health of the animal.
How long has it been weaned?
On feed, pasture, or a bottle calf?
Vaccinated, dewormed, checked for diseases prevalent in that area?
Is it weaned and a yearling and just needs finishing to slaughter weight?

Latest posts