family dog

Bossroo

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I have a husband and wife friends that after they retired, volunteered at a no kill shelter in los Angeles. After working there for 7 months, they quit in disgust due to the shelter's practices of adopting ( selling dogs for $300 each ) and knowingly dogs with serious medical and behavior issues. Those that they couldn't get rid of within 3 weeks were sent to shelters in the Northern states. They got most of their dogs eather from city streets or puppy mills in Mexico or the Caribean islands as well as local strays or surrenders. I can tell you at least twice as many horror stories of "adopted" dogs as you can tell of successes. Stories of the dogs bitting the hands that feed them as well as their families and friends to chewing furniture, walls, cabinetry, carpeting, cronical runaways, killing neighbors' livestock, etc. , to having cancer and other severe medical issues that saddle the new owners with the Veterinary bills that run into the thousands . Then the northern shelters do the same with the dogs that were not adopted out in the lA shelter. One of our neighbors with a boy 11 and a girl 9 have returned 5 dogs this past year with eather serious behavior issue ( biting ) or serous medical isues within a few days of getting them. So what do these shelters do with the dogs that are returned to them ???

Missmonty

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I may not have a popular opinion here on this topic BUT, I believe rescues and purebreds have their place. It really depends on what you're looking for. A rescue can be a fantastic dog but you are getting a lot of unknowns. This isn't really a bad thing persay but something to keep in mind. If you're okay with the unknowns (health or temperament issues can come up) then by all means get a rescue! I love rescue dogs and have owned mutts in the past and they turned out to be fantastic dogs!

Now here's where I feel like I'll start losing people :p

I personally breed AKC Siberian Huskies. The great thing about going through a reputable breeder is you will have an idea on temperament of puppies, apprx adult size, etc. I do highly recommend finding a REPUTABLE breeder tho. This often means you'll be paying more. Not all dogs are bred equally. Look for a breeder who health tests their breeding stock with the recommended tests for the breed. Ask to see their contracts, if they don't have one RUN. Their contract should go over things like if you ever have to rehome the puppy what they expect (most want the puppy back rather than it going to a shelter). Most good breeders also bring up that they offer lifetime breeder support, that basically means that if any questions or concerns arise that they're more than happy to help you out. Husky puppies for example for AKC registered ones range from $400-1500 in my area. You can also plan on a big difference in quality in puppies as well.

I can't stress enough that if you're going to go through a breeder to go through a good one. If you're not wanting to spend the money required to go through a good breeder then in my opinion all the pros of going through a breeder are gone since you'll have the same risks as going to a shelter with questions about temperament and health. So at that point I'd stick to shelter dogs :)

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
I may not have a popular opinion here on this topic BUT, I believe rescues and purebreds have their place. It really depends on what you're looking for. A rescue can be a fantastic dog but you are getting a lot of unknowns. This isn't really a bad thing persay but something to keep in mind. If you're okay with the unknowns (health or temperament issues can come up) then by all means get a rescue! I love rescue dogs and have owned mutts in the past and they turned out to be fantastic dogs!

Now here's where I feel like I'll start losing people :p

I personally breed AKC Siberian Huskies. The great thing about going through a reputable breeder is you will have an idea on temperament of puppies, apprx adult size, etc. I do highly recommend finding a REPUTABLE breeder tho. This often means you'll be paying more. Not all dogs are bred equally. Look for a breeder who health tests their breeding stock with the recommended tests for the breed. Ask to see their contracts, if they don't have one RUN. Their contract should go over things like if you ever have to rehome the puppy what they expect (most want the puppy back rather than it going to a shelter). Most good breeders also bring up that they offer lifetime breeder support, that basically means that if any questions or concerns arise that they're more than happy to help you out. Husky puppies for example for AKC registered ones range from $400-1500 in my area. You can also plan on a big difference in quality in puppies as well.

I can't stress enough that if you're going to go through a breeder to go through a good one. If you're not wanting to spend the money required to go through a good breeder then in my opinion all the pros of going through a breeder are gone since you'll have the same risks as going to a shelter with questions about temperament and health. So at that point I'd stick to shelter dogs :)

I don't think you will lose anyone. :) The majority of us know that there are reputable breeders, know that there is good reason for breeding PB dogs, and the value of such. I would also say that most of us have had a mutt or two (or more) along the way and have loved them and seen their value as well.
There are some that really don't get that rescues, shelters and the like have turned into a huge money making industry. They really are the new "mill". Of course this isn't the case with all.

AClark

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I agree with the high prices of "rescues". After we had to put down my husbands cattle dog, my husband was really bummed. I looked all over for a cattle-dog type for him. One place wanted $400! The other point I don't like are the ridiculous contracts that they can stop by and visit any time they please, etc etc - no way. I don't have anything to hide, but I also don't appreciate people just showing up and demanding stuff of me. I feel like if I paid for an animal, it's mine and they no longer have a say in it.
Then I found these two at a local animal control, supposedly a male and a female - no, both males. I convinced my husband to go look at them and maybe pick one. We couldn't decide on which one to bring home. They wanted $20 adoption fee - I said "You should run a special, 2 for 1 deal) as a joke and they did since they were over-crowded. That said, they didn't come with any shot records or anything, so that was on me.

I've had both purebred and shelter dogs. Shelter dogs are a big unknown. One of these chews stuff up and has to be redirected to a bone. In fact he ate my door mat this morning. The other had to be taught not to lift his leg on everything in the house - other than that, good dogs.
If you want something for a specific purpose, I would totally go the purebred route with a good breeder - hands down. In the long run, you're less likely to have health issues or other problems if you go to a good breeder that knows what they're doing.

Lena's 1st Birthday 020.JPG
Lena's 1st Birthday 022.JPG

promiseacres

Herd Master
Reaction score
@AClark they are beauties!
@greybeard that's a great caption

Pretty much have decided to wait until we get through the first year before we get another dog. Probably stick with a local shelter unless we find a good breeder with pups at the right time. Got in an argument with a "rescue " about dog food costs.... rubs me the wrong way when they insist on overpriced dogfood for their rescue dogs then have trouble paying medical bills..... and then beg for handouts. Idk IMHO frugality goes a long way when you're a rescue..... not just the ability to panhandle.

AClark

Loving the herd life
Reaction score

LOL, he's actually not the chewer - the aussie cattle dog looking one is, this is the one that thought it would work out to pee on things in the house - he doesn't anymore though. This one looks more like a Border Collie in build - vet marked them as Catahoula mixes.

Promiseacres - I think the same. If they are truly a rescue or shelter (like where I got those two from) they'll happily accept anything donated. So what if it's a 55lb bag of Pedigree and not Taste of the Wild - dogs gotta eat and it's free to them. /End Rant
The whole "rescue" thing really rubs me wrong, some of the rules - must have a fenced yard. Ok, I live in the middle of nowhere, my yard isn't fenced at all, my dogs go with me out to do chores and stuff off a leash - nope can't adopt a dog to me because no fence.
Stuff like that makes the good rescues doing good work and trying to find dogs homes look bad.

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
They wanted $20 adoption fee
Wow, your shelter is CHEAP! In a lot of places, by the time you pay the "adoption" fee, you are half way or more to a purebred from a decent breeder. And that shelter dog may have been ferried up from some state where people don't neuter their animals and strays are packing the shelters.