Farmerjan's journal - Weather

CntryBoy777

Herd Master
Reaction score
I can believe it....when ya look at the price of a new vehicle today....a mortgage for the same amount just seems like crumbs to them....tho, ya are giving them interest for 15-30yrs.

It is my opinion to get a 30yr for a lower note....and no penalties for early pay-off....that way, if something happens, the note will be easier to bear during "lean times"....and extra to count-on if something "pops Up".....ya can stick to your plan, but the "have-tos" won"t be gnawing your pocket.... :)

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
I've thought about that @CntryBoy777 .... it is a psychological thing about 30 years though...... I know that sounds silly. The 15 yr fixed was a better rate though, that was part of the reason I wanted it. Maybe I will go the 25 or 30 and make sure that it is fixed rate, no prepayment penalty, then just make the payment that I was planning to make. I found an on line calculator last year and can't find it now, but if you paid on it every two weeks, you would cut more interest and pay it off faster than if you paid more just once a month. It depends on what kind of loan it is, simple interest as opposed to (?) something else they said. Wish I could find it again.
You might be right about just getting the longer term and then just paying it off as my finances allow. I really expected to be able to pay a 15 yr off in 10 years...... I am the kind of person that would take and pay a couple grand if I sold some calves as that is "found money"..... if there is nothing else I "need" , and have a bit of a nest egg, then there is no reason to not pay extra on it.

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Today was a cool and dreary day. Mostly cloudy all day, 41 up to 60 but didn't feel warm. Light rain started after 3 as sprinkles and a little more for a bit. They are saying we will have up to a 1/2 inch... but temps are supposed to drop. Think the possibility of snow is going to stay more into the mtns of WV, but it could still get cold here. Still talking about frost/freezing.
:th
Took the samples up to get shipped off. Have a farm scheduled for Sunday morning. I did them last month by myself so should be fine this month. Need to look at my calendar and see who needs scheduling. I am kinda waiting to see how Tuesday goes too. If I need to do PT then that is going to take precedence, but I will work my farms around it. Somewhere we are going to have to start haying too but the weather has been so crazy who knows.....

I will go and check the "cardboard recycling dumpster" and see about getting some more boxes after the weather dries up a little bit.
Going to have to get on the mower again to do the lawn.
I'm craving something to eat. Maybe go make some brownies...... I really need some "comfort food" with this cold dreary day!!!!! Plus it would be good to have something to take with me on Tuesday for the drive home. I think I will be too excited on the drive down.....
Plan is to get the car tomorrow.:fl:fl:fl:bow:bow:bow

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Down to a chilly 33 last night and only 46 so far at nearly noon. Quite windy so don't think the frost settled on the plants. Another frost/freeze warning for tonight. Will go out and check the rain gauge but don't think we got what they were saying.
Just had some Ice cream last night but I did get a big sinkful of dishes done. Hurts to just stand for a long time, but I was just in the boot and sneaker, no crutches. I have been trying to not use the crutches in the house since I know I need to build back up my leg strength. CANNOT BARELY WAIT for Tuesday. Since it is so chilly out I am going to try to make a dent in some stuff in the house. Got laundry sorted, but since the T-pole came down for the lines, I am going to have to use the dryer at the laundromat. UGH.
There is one T- pole I see at the new house. I will have to put in another I guess if it all works out. Not sure if it is where I will want it to be so won't get too permanent yet.
There is a back "deck" off the kitchen, and I am thinking that maybe it will be of more use to get closed in to house my freezers and use as a "mud room" and all that sort of thing. I don't know... will have to live there a little bit to decide. I may just go on and get a "Byler Barn".... our local equivalent of an amish premade building. Get one with electrical outlets that can have a line run off the breaker box and put them all in there.....They are cheaper to get and have delivered than to have one built on site. For the time being the freezers would have to be in the dining room I guess. Well no sense in getting ahead of myself.

Didn't eat any breakfast so I am going to go in and make some brunch. Got a ham that I have had and am going to get it in the oven for tomorrow. I am testing in the morning, then will be home the rest of the day I guess. Maybe get those brownies made today. Get the oven heated up and let it add to the heat in the house. I have been running the furnace since I had the oil tank filled about a month ago..... since I want to use it rather than the space heaters to use all the electricity. May as well use it since it is there. If for some reason I have to stay here, then oil is still cheap to refill for fall. But would rather fill the one at the other house while prices are down. Don't have any idea how costly it is to heat. Thinking that the first year will be only the downstairs until I get the ceilings redone upstairs. Who knows. I really want this to happen, but really am trying to not get too ....... Haven't heard if the surveyor has been there yet and that has to happen before the appraisal.

Stomach said FEED ME so I'm headed that way.

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Only got up to 57 today and it was a chilly 57 with the wind. Had .1 inch rain in the gauge from yesterdays showers. Just glad it wasn't snow. It is getting colder fast and tonight may be colder than last night. Glad in some ways that I don't have a garden here, this year.
All the tiny peaches have shriveled up and dried and most have fallen off the peach trees. :hit I had hoped that a few would have made it through but those few nights of 31 to 35 we had about 1-2 weeks after the too early blossoms were just too cold. It is colder on the ridge where the house is that I am looking at. Maybe it will slow them down from blooming so fast if I get it and move there. Luckily I had remembered my spider plants on the porch and brought them in on Thursday eve before it got so cold. They will be in the house for the next couple of days until it warms up enough for them to go on the porch again in the warmth.

Didn't get as much done today that I planned to. Getting sample bottles in the rack for tomorrow morning's test. Going to eat a bowl of soup for supper. Got to leave by 4 or so. But they believe in heat in the parlor so won't be too cold. :yesss:.

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Well some good and bad. BEST NEWS .... GOT MY CAR BACK TODAY !!!!!!!! :yesss: :weee:bow:love:celebrate:thumbsup. Hooray.. I had forgotten how to drive an automatic. It seems to be running good, has lots of pep, will need brakes and I see that I had a box of new brake pads on the floor from before....never crossed my mind that they needed to be done after the engine went bad and all the drama that came with it and then son's broken femur, then my ankle.... GEE WHIZ why was I not remembering the brakes on the car I hadn't driven in months ????? Will be nice to drive it for a day or two before making the trip down to the dr. appt.

31 this morning and frost when I went out to go to test at 4 a.m.. Farmer said it is the third morning in a row they had frost up there. Sunny with a light breeze but not getting too terribly warm yet... barely hit 60 but it feels better than yesterday.
Going out to clean out the car some so I can get it vacuumed out. It needs a good cleaning. Have a set of seat covers in the back seat in the box I was going to put on the front seats that I'd like to do also as there is some wear on the seats. Couple of cracked pieces of plastic on the dash that closes on a little catch all to fix too while the sun is on it and it is warm to set the super glue.... covers will help to protect and save them. Maybe get it vacuumed out tomorrow. Maybe even get some laundry done. Trying to figure if I can run a clothesline to the tree here in the back from the standing clothesline post so I can at least hang the clothes in this nice weather.

Ankle/foot aching from testing; sure hope there will be some sort of answer to that in the form of more non-boot walking, PT or a different boot. I didn't sleep good last night so hoping to have a good nights sleep tonight.

Just ate a couple of sandwiches for lunch so time to go out and "do something"....

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Hey, in for the night. Was down to 32 on the recording temp gauge and only hit 65. Sun was out, Breezy but not as strong as yesterday so a nice day if a bit cool.

I got the front 2 sides cleaned out. It needs a good vacuuming. The seat covers that I had gotten on discount last year, are too big because I don't have the one piece high back on the seats. Since they were on the "cheap reduced table" I got a steal on them and my son said that he thinks they will fit one of his vehicles. They feel real nice, were originally like 35 or maybe 40 and marked down to about 22 then marked down again and I got them for 10, so I am not going to complain. I am going to look for another set though. Hope I can find some that are as nice as these, but I am sure they won't be on sale or marked down or anything. This set were just like putting a 2xl on a small..... Oh well. Got the pieces of plastic glued together so that is good. It isn't a professional job, but is better than the cracked and broken plastic.

Late this afternoon I met him up at the barn and they took the other bought engine out of the back of the car; it's a forester so has like a back section.... this is the 1st engine they sent that the heads were bad. My son says that Jason said that he thinks that the heads can be redone and it will be a good engine also..... took the good oil pan off my "blown up" engine..... so I have 3/4 of a ready spare engine. I can't complain too much; although all the drama with this company.... because there were nearly 260,000 on the car when the original engine went. Then we put a used one in that only lasted about 4 months, not terribly expensive.... and that is when we decided to go with the 5 yr - 50,000 mile WARRANTEED engine..... The car has 263,600 on it and except for the struts being replace a couple years ago, is very solid. That is why I wanted to keep it.
So, I expect to get a bunch more years/miles out of it now. Plus, I am not testing near as much, so not putting on as many miles either. Let's hope all goes well....it seems to be running good and is quieter than either the original or the replacement engine were.
Needs a new battery, that is tomorrow. Won't hold a charge, after running it for over an hour today. Got it on the trickle charge for the night and see how tomorrow goes. At least I will be able to crank it up with the charger, because it has that setting for starting as well as the trickle charge and a regular charge. I figure that if it is going to take a charge it ought to do it with the overnight slow charge. But the date on it is like 7 years old.... I know I replaced the battery in the 2 wd truck and I think I did the 4wd truck too. Guess it is time for the car. Maybe I was thinking that I was going to have to replace it before the winter.... and then it was winter and still no car. I can't remember. Oh well, if it needs it, it needs it. Plus the inspection is out of date, so have to get that done and get the snow tires off and the straight tires put on. Won't hurt to run them one more day or two, but will see if I can get the inspection done tomorrow. I would like to at least get the front and the very back vacuumed out. Then there is stuff in the back seat that can go in the back when I get it sorted out better. I need to have enough room to put the "new to me" TV in it on Tuesday afternoon, after my Dr appt and I go meet up with the girl from our computer center in Raleigh..... I would like it to be clean for that. I know that I will be using it for work some. The 2wd needs to have the spring on the back drivers side replaced. It has been broken forever, and that was going to get done after I got the car back last fall.... Oh well, with "FARMING" getting cranked up, it might be put on the back burner for awhile.

Am going to check on the house status tomorrow and see how that is progressing. Have a 200 cow farm set up for Thursday, I will go by myself as they are more than willing to help me any way they can. I haven't tested them since the surgery... did them just before. They kept saying to not worry about it when I texted them twice in the last 2 months. They usually only test every other month too. So that is all good.
Have an online application in to my local credit union; so far it looks good as it said that was accepted so far... I didn't go into all the "assets" like my 401K since I didn't have that info in front of me while I was filling it out. There is a number to call to talk to someone and add or change info on it. I figure that will be the easiest way to do it. Besides, I really don't know how much I want to get because I still don't know how much they are going to be asking....

TIRED. Good, I am thinking I won't have any trouble sleeping. Going in to get a shower and wash today's cow manure and iodine smells out of my hair. And since I have several things to do tomorrow, I will be sore again I am sure. But being busy will help me to be tired enough to go to sleep.

Forgot, I have to pack the samples from this morning too. Better make a list or I am sure I will forget something.

Not supposed to get as cold tonight. Maybe we are done with the frost stuff now.