Farmerjan's journal - Weather

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Well, we got down to 36 last night, sunny and looking nice today; calling for rain tomorrow (Fri) and then temps down around freezing and with the rain, possibility of some SNOW in the higher elevations..... mostly in WVa mtns but possibility here on the western facing slopes. Gonna be cold. If all the little peaches aren't done already, they will be after this. Oh well, can't change it.
Farm called and tested so I am going to head up there in a bit, get the samples, do their "paperwork" and all then go by the other farm and do the exchange with their computer then come home. Supposed to work some cow/calf pairs through the chute this eve if he can get them in. They will go out to pasture this weekend, once they are matched up.

CntryBoy777

Herd Master
Reaction score
I saw this today and thought about cha....I got a kick from it, because I can "relate"....I think ya can too....:lol:....
IMG_6787.jpg....remember to "catch your breath"..."pushin'" will drive ya nuts and a "clear head" makes better decisions.....:hugs:thumbsup

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Some days I think all I am doing is hanging on by the skin of my teeth....

Went to the 2 farms and got all that done. Samples from the one will go out tomorrow because I didn't get home in time to pack them and run them up. Had another farm text me back and said they had a silo unloader break and parts ordered, so had to start feeding out of another silo with just chopped rye which hasn't had time to ferment, so cows are off with the abrupt feed change. Always something on someone's farm.... Still have 2 to call for next week. I was going to do one on Tuesday but didn't hesitate to take the dr appt, (see next paragraph) so may do them on Thursday as that is when Geneva can help as it is her day off there.

I got a call today and there was a cancellation so I have a checkup, appt for NEXT TUESDAY 12th. HORRAY!!!!! :celebrate :yesss: :bow :weee:thumbsup:thumbsup. I am psyched because I want to get to the next step and see if they can put me in a smaller and "softer" type of boot. And to maybe get into some PT, or at least give me exercises to try doing, or SOMETHING.... I think that will really ease my mind as I want to regain every little movement that I can and I was getting really worried that lack of use - no PT - was a detriment. Plus this boot puts me so off balance and I don't have any shoes that make my right foot higher off the ground to match the boot so I walk uneven which makes the knees ache too....
AND, I am supposed to get my car back this weekend so will be able to drive myself without relying on anyone else. Plus, one of the "girls" who works at the computer center for testing in Raleigh, has a 42" "smart TV" that they were talking about selling because they had gotten a little bigger one from some friend that moved and this one is just sitting..... I am not into all this new fangled stuff, but she explained that I can watch all sorts of stuff on it WITHOUT having to get a satellite dish and all that. So I think that is the way to go. I told her that was one of the reasons that I didn't have TV because regular reception is so bad and satellite is so expensive for what little I watch TV.... and she said she will teach me what I need to know to use this. Plus, the whole idea is that at the "new house" there is much better cell reception (and it is closer to my son's property where the tower is going), and WiFi available through the electric company if I want it, and it is higher in elevation so better reception for those up there that use just regular TV antennas.... My "newest" TV here, that is not hooked up, is one of those big huge ones that sticks way out in the back and weighs a ton to move..... It came from my parents house in CT before they moved to NH and has not been used in nearly 10 years. It was not a cheap one but nothing like the flat screen ones nowadays. So I am going to buy the TV from her, get a crash course on how to set it up and use it for the "anticipated" move to a new house, and have a visit, and hopefully come home with a good report and a "positive spin" on this ankle and the future.

No I haven't heard anything yet on the house. Have been checking into mortgages, but not knowing how much it will be, makes it hard to pinpoint an amount to borrow. Still trying to see what I can get an idea of. Want to do a 15 year, but seems like I might have to do 25 fixed rate.... as long as there is no prepayment penalty, and if it is simple interest so that if I pay say an extra 100/month or something, that it will reduce the amount owed and the interest owed.... it will also make a difference on how much I put down too. I would like to do a decent amount to make the actual borrowed amount less.... but it might be wiser to do not much more than required and then leave the rest in my 401K and not have to pay the taxes up front taking it out and then make a bigger payment each month. Need to talk to someone who has some of that kind of knowledge. And as soon as they get a price, I am going to see if we can do a lease purchase or something to tie it up, and give me time to pursue a mortgage, and be able to get to work on it some so I can get into it this summer. That will give them "earnest" money to prove I am really serious about doing it. Plus it looks like rates are going to stay way down so I can do a little more shopping around..... they may be willing to do a mortgage too if they see that I am willing to pay some interest that they are probably not getting on any of their investments now either.

I am so glad that I had moved over 75% of my 401K into a very conservative account several years ago even though it was not earning alot.... only 2.2 to 2.5% interest...better than a savings account.... but it was guaranteed and also insured so I couldn't lose any of it. I still play with some in the other investments we have available in our retirement portfolio..... and yes, I have lost some and gained some.... but I feel that is part of the deal. Some I made very good returns on and some money I moved into this conservative account last year. I didn't start this until I was working for several years and had taken some out for buying cows several years ago..... but the bulk of it is very safe, and just plodding along with it's little increasing interest. I have never put more than what the company matched so have not accumulated a very big nest egg like some who would have put in 10-25% as the years increased. I haven't looked at the other since early March, and am almost afraid to..... but it will get better once the country opens up and we start back to work. It may never be as good as it was, but I think that I will gain back some ; and I keep moving some into the safe account every few months so I can take advantage when there are good gains on a small amount, and yet not risk too much on the market. I am not a very good "investor" but do what I feel comfortable with. And I am living decently on what I get every month, SS has really allowed me to get caught up and a little ahead on things, so this 401K will just be extra regardless of what I have in it.

Son worked the cattle this afternoon, and the "ex" girlfriend offered to come help him..... she broke up with the one she was seeing while he was staying there recooperating....:he:th I said that if he needed me he could text me to come up.... but he knows I really didn't want to. Needless to say I am not very pleased..... that is all I will say. :duc:barnie:barnie:barnie I don't have to live his life.

This is a good reason to not put a trailer on the farm...... we did talk about that on the 125 mile trip up to the farm we tested Tuesday; tossed around several different scenarios.....and I didn't realize that they had been talking at all.... but if she is going to be back in the picture at all, I don't want to get into that.
Maybe I ought to go buy a place near @Mini Horses and we can be neighbors and take care of each other in our old age!!!!!:lol::lol::woot
Temps were nice today. started at 36 so chilly, up to nearly 70 in the sun but a light breeze. Supposed to get down into 40's with rain and not warming much tomorrow, then drop into the low 30's..... with possible light snow/flurries.

Last edited:

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
We had a frost this morning so it should be your way tomorrow or earlier since it was so windy today.
Gee thanks for sharing:th:ep:barnie..... HA HA.

Was it a hard frost or just light? I am thinking we might get a pretty hard one if the wind lays down. Of course if we get the rain and it turns to snow, then cold we will really get hit.... BUT, as I keep telling people, it is only early May and we are here in the mountains, it is not that unusual.

CntryBoy777

Herd Master
Reaction score
Too bad ya don't still have your "stacks" from the 70s...ya could even up to the boot a bit better...:p....remember it is bone growth that is of importance right now....and that takes time....the muscles will comeback, but it is the "frame" that supports the "siding"....about the TVs....it has been my experience that ya are better off "advancing" with technogy, becuase the places producing the signal are changing and sooner or later the older isn't supported....the same reason the shuttle stopped flying....the days of sticking with a TV til it dies is over....nowa days your lucky if ya can go 5yrs without an upgrade.....we have "free tv" with an outside antenna....we get local channels and their xtra digital channels.....about 30channels in all..... :)

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
@CntryBoy777 , I had to laugh but believe it or not I didn't wear any of the "popular" footwear in the 70's. Just cowboy boots and I don't trust the soles with the boot on the other foot. The heel is higher but the sole on the boots aren't. OH WELL.....
Yeah, much as I hate it I guess that I will have to advance some. The TV station here underwent some changes a couple years ago. I will put up an antenna for the local free stations in case the smart TV doesn't pull them in. Once it is up that's it.....
Then there is the phone. My old flip phone is not always ringing so it is about done it. I hate the size of the smart phones, but being able to have a "hot spot" when testing some farms is making them more attractive. I can just get another flip phone.... I just found out they make a SMART Flip Phone.... but the price....... OUCH.

And a new computer is in the future too since this is windows 7 and isn't supported any more. I like the desktop so will get a new one for that and just use this for work as it only gets connected to our computer system at work and I won't have to worry about the safety for my bank account and stuff. That was the next priority until the phone started giving me some worries.... of course it could just be the lousy service here at the house. I guess that I should pay more attention to if it rings okay when I am up where the service is decent. I mostly do the calling out though.

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
I feel more inclined to get to work here sorting and stuff again. There for a few days I was feeling like I just couldn't get up the energy to do stuff. After today's trip, I feel like I have more hope again.
Maybe I ought to go buy a place near @Mini Horses and we can be neighbors and take care of each other in our old age!!!!!:lol::lol::woot

COME ON!! Yes, we could get along just fine -- slowly work our animals, help each other. Heck, I'd love a garden & chicken butcher friend!! :lol: No one here to do this with and sometimes it's just "more fun" if you have another to share the simple stuff -- tomato blooms, first bell pepper -- that make NO difference to many. That's one of the big pulls to the forum family, they understand our daily ups & downs. Of course, few cattle in my area and no dairy ops.

We're getting that less than desirable and below norm weather here. It has definitely made ME feel like there was practically nothing that I was interested in having/doing/seeing. A real blah! Add that to your own issues with recouping & housing concerns, I'm surprised you don't feel worse. LOL Of course, a farmer has "to do" regardless.....it's the personal stuff that slacks. Feed or vacuum? That is the choice....feed wins.

TV, phone, computers -- yep we are almost identical with both the problems and decisions to buy, the cost, learning to operate and all. I have those things that I am "thinking" are pushing me to be a buyer -- albeit a fighting & kicking one! At least the TV prices are down -- like you don't watch a lot of it -- And, they can be used as your computer screen....which I will do.....yes, I prefer the desk computer. It's so hard to "change" some things.

So the chill is here and NOT making my bean seeds want to germinate!

Senile_Texas_Aggie

Herd Master
Reaction score
Miss @farmerjan,

This is GREAT NEWS on your appointment! I suspect that you feel a good bit better than before your surgery, but reading about your struggles with the boot helped me understand it hasn't been as easy as I was hoping it would be for you. But with your appointment, maybe you can get a smaller boot or maybe even go to a normal shoe again! And with you getting your car fixed, that will help you in so many ways. I am happy for you!

I hope everything works out with your housing plans. Have you considered getting pre-approved for a mortgage so that process is over? That way you will know how much you can borrow and what you will need to come up with for a down payment should you find a house you love.

Senile Texas Aggie

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
@Senile_Texas_Aggie ; Yes, looking forward to the appt so I know what's what with this ankle. The boot is just so heavy and awkward to walk in unless I use one crutch for some balance. Then it isn't so bad..... if it hurt is would be one thing but overall it just doesn't hurt..... achey some but no real pain. The numbness is aggravating because I want to walk on it and it feels funny. But once I go to the doctor then I will know exactly what I can do and how far I can push it........

I have done some looking into preapproval.... and would you believe I have been turned down by 2 because the amount I am looking for is TOO SMALL AN AMOUNT..... I mean REALLY? They want you to get yourself so deep so they own you. I can't get an appt at my credit union due to the lobbies not being open. So I am going to see if I can do it online. I have one preapproval on line, probably have to submit more stuff, but it is for 25 years with a reccommended 30 years when I asked for 15 years. Sure I can go to 25 years and then just pay it off faster, but it just bugs me.
If I knew exactly what they wanted then I could get more definite. I am working on an "estimated" purchase price, so doing an estimated downpayment of 10-20% to check on rates. I need to know what they want, find out if they will do some sort of financing with a downpayment, or what they are thinking. Then I can get more serious about the whole thing.
I had a preapproval from another company last year when I was looking at another place. I need to find the paperwork and contact them.