Farmerjan's journal - Weather

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
On another note.... we had .9 inch rain over the past 2 days. It rained a couple of showers yesterday eve and then opened up about 1:30 a.m. this morning as I heard it on the metal roof. More rain than we normally get this time of year. 2nd cutting hay is growing good. The sorghum/sudan grass that we cut has come back and the fields are "green as grass" again.
Forecast is for 30-40% chance for the next 5 days.....

The 20 "new" meat birds are learning to come out of the little pen and do a little scratching. The bigger ones are feeling this heat though. It has been 92 and up the past 4 days, and supposed to be even hotter this weekend with high humidity and heat index near 100..... Hard on everyone.

Here it is 11:30 and I should get a shower and go to bed.

CntryBoy777

Herd Master
Reaction score
It is awfully sad that things have "progressed" as far as they have, so fast.....yet, we are suppose to be gullable enough to consider that things are getting "better"....just because there is "change", sure doesn't mean it is automatically better.....so much is being "dictated" by varying groups that even choices or options are almost obsolete....it seems that the population is being "herded" and setup, as ya were saying about the control of each industry, from "cradle to grave".....it won't be much longer and those that don't get "in line" will be pushed out and alienated from the "system"....the underpinning has already been compromised, so when it crumbles, it will be too late to do anything about it....it is too late right now and in about 10-15 yrs....it will be a whole different "game"....as machines will replace the $15 minimum wage workers and the small franchise owners will be out of business....they already control how much and what variety grains can be grown....now it is continuing thru the meat industry.....it is amazing and sad that so many, are sooo "blinded".....:mad:....I'll have another lolipop and some kool aid, please...:)

Senile_Texas_Aggie

Herd Master
Reaction score
Miss @farmerjan,

I don't see how you keep going, as much as you have to put up with, such as your joints causing all kinds of issues. Then on top of that, the hard work you and your son have to do for so little in return. I understand why so many folks want to get out of farming and ranching -- such great financial risk and often so little in return. I wish there were something that we could do to help you and your son. All it seems we can do is listen and sympathize. :hugs

Senile Texas Aggie

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
If the cattle production goes the way of the hog and poultry production, I wonder what breed will be raised for the masses. There is a cross of two breeds for chickens and only 1 or 2 breeds raised for pork, for industrial meat.

If one or two breeds are deemed suitable for mass production, then all the other breeds will fall out of favor and slowly disappear. Then the one or two breeds that have been selected will slowly lose the characteristics that made them what they were, and they will be "upgraded" to fit mass production. Industrial meat doesn't like variety, consumers want it all to look alike.

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
There are a few who try to maintain some of the heritage breeds, very few. The "replacements" being bred/developed have flaws that are so sadly becoming the norm -- grow too fast, no flavor, no nutrition, no broody hens, more milk, less longevity, less ability to forage, etc, etc. Our food system produces much but, lacks so much in the old style nutrition. People & animal health suffers. I hope the change to mass produced chemicals called "food" doesn't happen in my lifetime.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
When we buy feeder pigs, we support the small farmers who raise the heritage breeds. The meat is not the tasteless "other white meat" :sick of modern hog raising. My favorites are Hereford hogs and Red Wattles.

Our red meat is the lamb we raise. I only buy beef when rib eyes are on sale. It is hard to beat a good steak.

It is so hard to educate people about their food, especially when it can be mass produced so cheaply versus the cost to small farmers.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
My son in law wanted to know what is so special about the heritage breeds, especially when more meat can be grown more efficiently with the newer developed breeds. My answer was that the mass produced breeds genetic material came from the old breeds, if disease swept through the high-bred modern breeds and the old breeds were gone, where would the new breeding stock come from? The old heritage breeds fit a specific niche in their country or area of origin. They hold diverse genetics that may prove to be valuable some day.

Support small farmers!

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
It is awfully sad that things have "progressed" as far as they have, so fast.....yet, we are suppose to be gullable enough to consider that things are getting "better"....just because there is "change", sure doesn't mean it is automatically better.....so much is being "dictated" by varying groups that even choices or options are almost obsolete....it seems that the population is being "herded" and setup, as ya were saying about the control of each industry, from "cradle to grave".....it won't be much longer and those that don't get "in line" will be pushed out and alienated from the "system"....the underpinning has already been compromised, so when it crumbles, it will be too late to do anything about it....it is too late right now and in about 10-15 yrs....it will be a whole different "game"....as machines will replace the $15 minimum wage workers and the small franchise owners will be out of business....they already control how much and what variety grains can be grown....now it is continuing thru the meat industry.....it is amazing and sad that so many, are sooo "blinded".....:mad:....I'll have another lolipop and some kool aid, please...:)

Soooooo True.

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
If the cattle production goes the way of the hog and poultry production, I wonder what breed will be raised for the masses. There is a cross of two breeds for chickens and only 1 or 2 breeds raised for pork, for industrial meat.

If one or two breeds are deemed suitable for mass production, then all the other breeds will fall out of favor and slowly disappear. Then the one or two breeds that have been selected will slowly lose the characteristics that made them what they were, and they will be "upgraded" to fit mass production. Industrial meat doesn't like variety, consumers want it all to look alike.

Very true @Baymule . The cattle will fall into a couple of composites which basically are just crossbreds. Angus charolais with some limousin and simmental mixed in.....with some "eared cattle of brahma type background for the southern states since they can withstand the heat. Far North will have more of the reds....limi, red angus, maybe some hereford and shorthorn.... but they will become one common looking and sizing overall. You are right; cookie cutter sameness is more efficient in the slaughter plants and processing room.

Hopefully there will always be some around that raise the "heritage breeds" ; but some of them have been so badly hurt by different breeding fads that decent and productive ones are hard to find.