Farmerjan's journal - Weather

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
I don't care for my DSs GF but that's life. There's been better & worse ones :old His ex was a good person.

I have Farm Bureau -- not cheap, none are. Few selections around here to write a farm policy, especially when not a "farming" producer. Then, I'm too big and have livestock, so the general homeowner writers won't cover me. ;) FB should love me, 20 yrs & never a claim!

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Jan, I hope you get some relief for your knee pain. When every step sends pain shooting throughout your body, it is hard to muster up enthusiasm for much of anything. Getting them both done at the same time is a wise decision. Do it once and get it over with. My knee has dropped into low gear and hasn't flared up in awhile. I think all the exercise I do has strengthened the surrounding ligaments and muscles. As long as it is not hurting, I won't rock the boat.

Sorry that your son is back with the woman that stirs up strife and has his head up his a$$. Not much that you can do about that, you are right in distancing yourself and not getting involved. No, you can't lock him in his room, the bull has done broke down the barn door and run off to the neighbor's field. LOL

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Friday eve... I am tired. Got the computer work done for the farm from yesterday.... got all the samples packed and sent UPS. Did the cow, and the new calf came to me then I pushed it over towards the cow and it finally got on a teat and all was good. Then went and fed the meat birds, filled water and met our "help" at the hay field that I tedded yesterday. Also put the repaired flat tire on the big wheel rake. We took both trucks so mine could stay there to drive it home after I took the rake out there. Took the tedder out to the furthest place where he tore up the discbine, Hooked it to the tractor and I tedded while he was loading up some 100 gal water troughs we had there as we are losing it after we get this hay cut off. The guy talked to my son, told him he had someone else that was willing to pay more than we did and he was going to return the years rent that was already paid. So my son asked what about the 2500 of fertilizer we have already spread there.... We could have gotten really nasty about this but the owner was calling every other day wanting to know why we hadn't cut it.... even when they were calling for rain.... we got tired of it so my son agreed to get first cutting off for the fertilizer money... and owner is going to return the full rent. Not sure how this is going to work, since we tore up the discbine and it didn't get finished mowed off, and they are calling for 40-50% chance for the next 2 weeks after Sunday. He only got about half it mowed so far.
So anyway, he brought me back so I could rake and then go rake the next place then go to Middlebrook and have my truck to come home. It wouldn't get raked til noon or so on Sat to be baled late that aft as supposedly we are getting some rain on Sunday morning.
Well, the newly fixed tire was flat already.... so we took it off again and I went to my son's and started raking the 4 small fields there with the trusty old Farmall H and the side delivery rake. Jim took the tire back to see why it was flat already. So I got those fields all done, he came back by just as I finished... so we went back down, put it back on the rake and I started raking there. There is alot of hay there. Got 80% done and a couple of teeth came loose on one wheel because he hadn't tightened the nuts real hard.... caused me to have hay all bunched up, had to spend time getting it all unclogged, and had to get him to bring some new teeth so they could be put in because they fit together to hold them all in so to speak. If you lose on or two, then the way they lay against each other behind the little plates, then others come loose and you have a mess. He finally got there, we had to get the teeth in and I finally finished. My son had gotten there to bale by then too. So then I left to go to the next place, it was already 7:30... and by the time I got there, I just said I had had enough. That field didn't get tedded as we thought it would dry enough if it got raked and turned up so the "bottom " would be up towards the sun. All the hold ups and I didn't get there. So tomorrow morning it will have to be tedded out and then can be raked after noon I hope. So 2 places to get done tomorrow and don't know the status on the discbine yet. Too late to mow anymore now due to the forecast....

ALWAYS SOMETHING. He also had trouble with the baler, one of the belts broke..... they had just gone over it after we got done with the hay 10 days ago.... You can go 1000's of bales before a belt breaks.... but there are like 7 or 8 of them and they get stretched and all with the hay and are under alot of stress. We can lace pieces in them and often have belts with 2 or 3 pieces laced in. At 350 a belt, you don't replace but one or 2 and then use the good parts of the old belt you replaced, for piecing. Plus it takes several hours to replace a complete belt and it has to be threaded through and over and under pulleys and bars; takes 2 people to do it unless you climb up and down several times to feed it around .... then you lace the 2 ends together as they are not a continuous loop new...
Looks like the conveyor belts at a check out at Walmart or the grocery store.... only narrower. You see the metal laces that are on each end of the belt and they inter lock like a zipper but you thread a wire through to hold it all together. PITA to do but about the only way to do it. All big round balers are like that except some real old ones that actually used chains instead of belts.... they wore out the metal fast but they were the first attempt at it.

So things did not go as smoothly as they should have, I raked the small fields instead of my son doing it because I couldn't use the big rake due to the tire flat again.... they put a tube in it but didn't check and there was a rough spot inside the tire so the tube got a hole in it.... so then had to patch the tube after smoothing out the inside of the tire.... and basically it was fixed twice.....So all that made me one "field" behind since I had planned to have them all raked except the one I tedded this morning where the discbine broke....and the rake sitting there to rake mid day tomorrow. We still should be able to get it done.... but don't know what we are going to do about the hay that didn't get cut .

Time for a shower, I am covered in dust, and grease from leaning on the frame of the rake while helping with the rake wheel.... Just ate and ready to crash. I have to go let the cow into the calves in the morning, then will go help do tedding or whatever.... I filled chicken feeders and water this morning, so they should be good til late Sat aft at least.

Waiting for the paperwork to take a withdrawal from my retirement account so I have the money for the down payment for the house.... will not do it until it is closer to the date.... like a week out I guess.... or I might wait and see if there is a good day, market up and all.... have them sitting on the paperwork there and then me call and say do it "today" ....
Haven't done any more about looking at bath tubs or anything ..... if we have all that daily rain chances, will have time to go looking more. I am also going to look more on line..... but it is hard to see it when it is only a picture. Keep looking at the house and thinking that the building should go where the boxwoods are behind the house. Really need them gone so I can visualize it better....then I look at the "deck" and think that ought to be closed in and made a room.

Last edited:

Senile_Texas_Aggie

Herd Master
Reaction score
You are one heck of a woman. I love the way you tackle anything, roll with the punches when all goes wrong and keep on with what you are doing. Hot, tired, dirty and greasy-a shower does make for a good ending to the day. LOL

I agree with that, Miss @Baymule -- you are one heck of a woman, Miss @farmerjan!

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Thanks for the compliments, I don't think that I do any different than several of the other farmers (women) do on a day to day basis.

Got all the tedding done, and then the raking that needed and all the hay that was on the ground is rolled. So that is good. Now of course, the waiting for the parts for the discbine cutter bar.... to the tune of nearly $8,000, as the whole bar that the individual "pumpkin shells" attach to has to be replaced. Think 13 ft long heavy metal bar with these big round units spaced evenly along it, that look like a box turtle shell with a couple of blades on the bottom that whirl at like 3300 rpm's...... and hit one rock ledge wrong and it breaks or gets bent.... :th :barnie:hit:ep.

So moving the hay rolls back to the main farm on any trips from that direction. As soon as he gets the discbine unhooked from the automatic truck, I will start moving rolls also.

Hauled a load of water, on my way back after raking the last field yesterday, to the nurse cow barn for the cow, that now has the 3 calves on her. The newest calf comes to me, then when I get her to follow me into the barn, and push her in the direction of the cow, she goes right on her. She is also very vigorous and enthusiastically nurses. Love the calves I get from this farmer. 801 (cow) doesn't bother them while eating her grain and all. Not going to let her out loose with them until we get some cows out of this place.
There are about 10 heifers to preg check that will calve with their first calf this fall, and another 10 or so that have calves on them that also need to be checked. Don't know if he is going to wean these calves off like I want to do. So tomorrow I will catch up a group to be moved to the other barn to get preg checked. I will be at the dr. for the ankle on Tuesday. Then will test the big 500+ cow herd Wed morning. Hoping that the knees will work with not knowing for sure what they are going to do at the dr on Tues..... Will try to get another group in on Wed so that we can get most moved out for the rest of the summer and let some of the grass come back. I am going to go haul another load of water here in a few minutes for the other water troughs that will be for the cows I get in tomorrow. I can separate the barn and outside catch pen into 2 separate sections. Cow and 3 calves will be in the smaller side, the caught up heifers needing to be preg checked will be in the other side. If I get them in, in the morning, don't want them to be without water all day. So I will haul another 150-200 gal and that will hold them while they are in .

It is cloudy and hazy here, they say it is part of the Sahara dust cloud. There is also some rain/t-storms coming in out of the west. If nothing else hopefully it will settle some of this dust out. We are looking at a 20-50% chance every day for the next week. May as well since we cannot cut hay until the parts come in. Hope to get all the hay moved off the fields so the rain will help the grass to come back.

I have to get back to trying to get some more stuff here sorted out and some stuff boxed to make moving easier. Talked to them at the investment firm and they are sending the paperwork for the withdrawal from the 401k for my downpayment money. They said it will take about a week once they get the paperwork back, for me to get the check. Everything is still a go, waiting to here about the actual closing date.
Talked to the guy who is going to do the wood ceilings etc, gave him the size of the rooms, so that he had an idea of how much I will need and he can get it on one of his trips to Pa where he gets this wood. Figured if he was getting some for himself and his work, that he might as well get mine at the same time. Also, he is going to take my older gas kitchen stove up and have the orifices reworked at an amish place up there he has used in the past. So I will get my favorite kitchen stove back to use..... not buy a new one. YAY!!!!!! It is in the storage trailer so will have to get my son to help get it out sometime in the next couple of months.
Been looking at refridgerators, and few are less than 30" across the front. I don't think that my old one in the storage is less than 30 either. The way the cabinets are built in this kitchen, and the 30" space allowed for the fridge, is going to be an interesting situation. It is right in the middle of a wall, not like on the end where taking off a section of cabinets would be easier.... Guess I need to quit worrying over it until..... I have been looking at refridgerators that don't have freezers.... maybe one of them would be a fit and I will have at least one upright in the utility room there that would be fine for a "using freezer" instead of having one in combo with a fridge.

Va is offering some BIG specials for people who want to go with solar panels.... I might look into it. No money down, all sorts of incentives.... won't know until I own it, then see what they have to offer..... can't hurt. I would rather be somewhere there is running water for hydro power, but not at this place. Don't know how the wind is there. Could put the solar on the house roof if there is enough sunlight. Gotta get those boxwoods gone. If I put the storage building out there, it would be more area for panels....
Was looking at the property again, thinking about the peach trees. Can't go along the front fence line area as there is too much chance of salt from the paved road. The dirt road side is an option since they don't use salt on the gravel roads. All @Mike CHS talking about tearing out the trees that never bore fruit, has got me really thinking about the fruit trees and what all I would like to have. The peaches and some pears mostly..... there are tons of places where I can get apples here, the Shenandoah valley is known for it's apple orchards. I could take out some of the other trees along the dirt road and put in a few fruit trees. They are some maples and walnuts that have just grown up. Also, want to have raspberries and blueberries. Blackberries grow wild everywhere, and there are several places at pastures where we can find them. But I want red raspberries and maybe some gold ones for fun, as well as black raspberries.

I have decided to have someone come clean the rug in the bedroom after I get that room painted. I will have the rugs cleaned at the house I am leaving too, just because it is right, because I had to have them cleaned before I moved in here. Landlord wasn't going to do it. There is a company that does floor refinishing, and I may get them to redo the wood floors after any painting also; they did some wood floors for me about 25 years ago and it gets done so fast and they do a real good job. All these things I keep thinking of. There are some things I can do, but with these knees there are some that I can't, and don't want to try to do. I want to be in this house before winter, and before I get the knee replacements. Of course all that will depend on what comes of Tuesday's dr appt.

Going to head out and go get a load of water. At least that is free, only the time and little gas it takes to drive to the spring and fill the tank. Get that up at the barn and they will be situated for the next couple of days for getting in the cows.

My big jersey farm called and wants to test Wed or Thurs afternoon. Since they are 2 hrs away, I will have to do them on Thursday since I won't be done early enough on Wed to get up there by 1p.m.. Son can't get off work to go there I don't think but I hope I will be able to manage them. Got another 275 cow herd that is about due to call me. I will hopefully get DS to go to that one again.... they are great people, but they milk pretty fast, and with me not being real good on my knees/ankle yet....... prefer some help.

Getting darker out, better go get the water before I get soaked....

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Well, we got a little 10 second shower, got the roads wet, then it passed. Muggy and sticky now. Looks like we will get more. Hauled the load of water and got the 2 / 100 gal troughs nearly full so that is good. Cow with the calves wanted out so I let her out a little early, this way I don't have to go there again this eve.

Going to make a trip to the laundromat. Jeans have been getting really grubby with the hay tedding/ raking and all the greasy things I have been into. Plus with the heat, I have been sweaty and the jeans get grungy. Hoping this may be the last trip, as I am hoping that there are enough to last until the house closing and then I can move the washer up there and start using it. Besides, want to start getting water into the septic system like the guy said, since it has been idle 7 years.... before I even worry about the possibility of getting the tank pumped out. I have things like the flannel sheets that are in the basket that I didn't get washed yet, my ankle/crutches a pain going to the laundromat, so only did the necessary things. Now, I can do them at the house as soon as I own it, and then be able to hang them and fold them and put them in a storage tote until the bathroom is done and they can be put into the "linen closet"....

Went by the house again on my way home after running the water off in the troughs. Looked at it again, thinking that I want to get those boxwoods gone so I can see the back of the house and what opening it up will look like and what other ideas I will have. Definitely am going to take down that whole clump of boxwoods and the tree growing up in the middle.... and the volunteer trees around the little storage building there, and another bunch that are near the telephone pole where the antennae was before it got broken from a storm. They are about 10-15 feet tall, and are of no benefit there either. There are a couple of dead trees along the dirt road, and a couple of scrubby ones too that can go. Really might need that wood furnace to put the wood to good use. But I figure that if I get someone in there, might as well get as much gone as I can see that needs it now. I do not use a chainsaw with my right hand having minimal strength. I will carry wood all day but don't want to cut it down.

It is hot and sticky out, forecast is saying off and on possibility of showers.... That about covers any thing that they might get wrong !!!!!:th:hu:idunno

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Monday eve. Hot and sticky..... Yeah, not for you Texans but muggy and "close " for here. 64 last night up to 92 today. Mostly sun, humid, and didn't get any of the showers that they said were possible.

Did the cow with calves this morning, went to town and did a couple errands, and a little grocery shopping but didn't need alot, came back by the PT and did that and then came home. I was going to try to get some of the cows in at the nurse cow pasture to move to the barn to get preg checked and moved out to summer grass, but it was hot and they didn't want to come to the barn so I didn't get them in. Maybe Wed aft if it does rain a bit it might cool down. Tomorrow I am headed back to Raleigh-Durham to the PA that the ankle Dr wanted me to go see about the knees. Worst she can do is not do me any good. The getting the appt this fast was the biggest deciding factor, plus the ankle dr really was specific about me going to see her. I call that a pretty good endorsement. Leaving at about 8 after I get the cow in for the day, as the appt is 1:15 and it will give us time to get a bite of lunch somewhere. Going with a friend that I don't see much since I don't work at the grist mill anymore, she would come in every so often and the previous mill owners would do "cooking classes" and then they would eat their meals and often had wine from the vineyard that this friend and her husband own. Not like I can't stop by, but I don't drink wine, so no good excuse except to say hi. Her daughter worked at the mill too, and I helped her with a few sewing projects over the years. It will be a fun "catch up" on everything day.

Went back up to the barn, fed the cow some and then turned her out. The newest calf is really getting with the program now. 801 doesn't like the new calf to nurse except when she is eating grain, and the calf went right on her and got a belly full tonight. Then she came to the gate, and wanted out so I let her out. The three are nearly all the dark brown/blackish color, and could nearly be tripletts by looks. Kinda neat.
Then I went to the meat birds, filled their waterer and the 2 automatic feeders, so they won't need anything in the morning; just have to put the cow in before we leave.
The meat birds are really growing fast all of a sudden. The place I take them, their daughter is getting married on the 10th, so they aren't doing any before then which is fine. I will talk to them right after and see when... but I am on the list for as early a date after that. Got to call the farmer where I get them from, he should have some to go out pretty soon again. Then the farmer closeby, should be getting chicks in next week I think, they had to spray down the house from the ones that had the virus. I will make it a point to get any next time even if there aren't many.... just to get into the groove. I guess this winter I will still get them as I should be where I can keep them warm enough at the house, put a heat lamp into a closed in shelter or something, as they can't take the cold since they come from heated houses in the winter.... controlled temps ; until I get the knees done if that is what is in the works. Seems criminal to use them for cat food, but I think that I will trade them out for something from other people, as well. If I only have a dollar or 2 of feed in them, even with the butchering it is still cheap food. And I think I will start doing up some into chicken salad type chunks and such, so canning them will be in the works. So much will depend on what she says tomorrow and if it makes sense to schedule surgery, or maybe something will give some relief and then I can put it off???? Not really wanting to but you never know.
Going to get a shower and try to cool off from this sticky weather. Gotta figure out something to eat; it's been too hot to worry about that today.

Nothing else much going on. Sorta sittin in limbo until I get the papers to do the withdrawal for the down payment, and hear from the bank and all about when the closing is supposed to be. Ought to be here tomorrow I think. I didn't make a trip to the laundromat, I found a couple pairs of jeans that I had folded and not put away, so have some clothes to last a bit. Will get through the next few days of NC dr trip, then testing Wed morning and Thursday afternoon.... then maybe see. Ought to have a bunch more to do to make the trip worth while.

The clearing crew that are going to take down the trees and put in the road to the cell tower still haven't come back. So that is good as far as maybe being able to get them to do the clearing out I want to do behind the house. I don't even know if they do things like that or just brushy woods like where the road is going in, but won't hurt to ask. At the rate they aren't getting back here, it ought to be about right for them to be here when I have the closing.
Things happen for a reason.
Did see where there is a sale on some of the plants and fruit trees and bushes due to the lateness of the season.... going to do some looking and see what bargains I can find.... One nursery here has good stuff and at 15-20% off, it might be worth a serious look.

Last edited:

Latest posts