Fattening on eggs and goats milk, what else?

rittert3

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Well Everything look like I would be on the right track, I wouldn't be going in the pen so I think I would be ok with some occaisional raw meat, as for the rest I would suppliment with a couple coffee cans of cracked corn a day (for 2 hd) and I think I would beable to come up with enough other odds and ends to round out their diet. It dosn't sound like they are picky, would they eat vegitation that has been clipped and thrown in the pen? Did I read right that they will eat grass clipping? That would be great!! lol thanks to all that are replying

freemotion

Self Sufficient Queen
Reaction score
Variety is the key. Throw it in and see if they eat it! Yes, they eat grass clippings. I'd not give the raw pork, though.

kstaven

Purple Cow/Moderator
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Rather than using milk ... If you have a cheese operation near you get the dairy whey they usually throw out. It is high protein and the pigs will do well on it.

We mix our dairy whey into mash feed for our meat chickens also and they thrive on it.

77Herford

The Farm Zookeeper
Reaction score
kstaven said:
Rather than using milk ... If you have a cheese operation near you get the dairy whey they usually throw out. It is high protein and the pigs will do well on it.

We mix our dairy whey into mash feed for our meat chickens also and they thrive on it.
No WHEY....:D

JaxBirchmuck

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I really enjoyed this post. We are new to pigs and have found so much information reading just this post.

rittert3

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
There is only 1 cheese opperation in range that I know of and there are large and commercial so I'm pretty sure their whey is spoken for. So this is my plan for feeding out, A base of corn and grass clipping with goat milk and eggs to suppliment. I will also throw them the garden plant when the I pull them up in the fall as well as cull chickens on occaision. Also I want to try grazing goats on a 3 acre patch of turnips and rye of they could also have the turnip bulbs when grazing is done for the year. Idealy I would like to have 1 hog to roast and 1 for the freezer each year.

LizFM

Just born
Reaction score
Pigs will eat anything that doesn't eat them first ;)

DH grew up on a large commercial farm that (among other things) has a farrow-finish hog operation. He has seen pigs grab and eat unwary sparrows that were feeding in the feed bunk too close to them. Not an uncommon occurrence at all.When we're back for a visit and he goes out shooting pigeons in the barn at night, as someone else said 'they don't hit the ground'...he said the pigs will fight over them like candy.

I think it was a pretty well known fact that hogs were highly dangerous to children in the past before hog confinement was the norm. Remember in The Wizard of Oz, when Dorothy fell into the pig pen and everybody freaked out? That's why.

They're meant to be omnivores, I wouldn't make meat their Main food but they're meant to eat it when it's available. As far as live chickens go...whether you feed them the dead ones or not, your chickens *are not* safe going in to the hog pen. Back when we farmed with DH's folks it was common to lose chickens, guineas or even turkeys that got in with the hogs.

kstaven

Purple Cow/Moderator
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
rittert3 said:
There is only 1 cheese opperation in range that I know of and there are large and commercial so I'm pretty sure their whey is spoken for. So this is my plan for feeding out, A base of corn and grass clipping with goat milk and eggs to suppliment. I will also throw them the garden plant when the I pull them up in the fall as well as cull chickens on occaision. Also I want to try grazing goats on a 3 acre patch of turnips and rye of they could also have the turnip bulbs when grazing is done for the year. Idealy I would like to have 1 hog to roast and 1 for the freezer each year.
Most cheese operations dump all the whey down the drain. So a quick call may net you a lot of free feed. Cheese curd that doesn't turn out is also a good possibility with a large operation.