Fattening on eggs and goats milk, what else?

77Herford

The Farm Zookeeper
Reaction score
kstaven said:
rittert3 said:
There is only 1 cheese opperation in range that I know of and there are large and commercial so I'm pretty sure their whey is spoken for. So this is my plan for feeding out, A base of corn and grass clipping with goat milk and eggs to suppliment. I will also throw them the garden plant when the I pull them up in the fall as well as cull chickens on occaision. Also I want to try grazing goats on a 3 acre patch of turnips and rye of they could also have the turnip bulbs when grazing is done for the year. Idealy I would like to have 1 hog to roast and 1 for the freezer each year.
Most cheese operations dump all the whey down the drain. So a quick call may net you a lot of free feed. Cheese curd that doesn't turn out is also a good possibility with a large operation.
NO WHEY!

animalfarm

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Which whey to the cheese factory. I got to get there before Royd.

77Herford

The Farm Zookeeper
Reaction score
Today my pigs got a soup of Cabbage, Onions, Stawberries, Grapes, Mushrooms, Beef broth, Melons and Potatoes. Plus some extra milk to wash it all down.

animalfarm

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
77Herford said:
Today my pigs got a soup of Cabbage, Onions, Stawberries, Grapes, Mushrooms, Beef broth, Melons and Potatoes. Plus some extra milk to wash it all down.
I'm thinking that could be weirdly interesting for supper. Got any corn bread?

rittert3

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Ok I havn't checked back in a while but to sum up my thoughts on replys- I think I want to go with the original quail (coturnix) and chicken eggs and goats milk with a mix of cracked corn and milo plus whatever scraps come up. I don't want to let any of my birds freerange so they won't beable to get in the hog pen, I will probably feed the guts, culls, and, losses to the hogs then. I'm thinking 60% Milo and 40% corn for the grain, I'm not sure yet though. I've heard that milo causes the fat to disperse more in the meat where corn forms bigger flaking. I like moderate edge fat on my meat and esspecially my pork so I figured on leaving some corn in the ration. As far as cheese plant waste, I don't want more that 6 head of hogs and want my main enterprise to be Boer, Nubian, and Savannah cross goats and want to keep several nubian nannys around for nursers anyway so if I account to feed 3 galons a day betwwen six hogs I think I can make that work. Also I'm not sure what weight I want to buy my gilts at and what weight I want to process at? I want some roasters (whole hogs), grinders (we've aquired a taste for pork burgers and I like to make 1/2pork,1/2beef snack sticks), and Hogs to get whole loins, bacon, ham, CS ribs, and boston butts out of. I really love the way that Hamps round out in the quarters for getting cuts but may buy duroc or yorks for grinding and roasting. I figured the grinders and roasters could be processed a little lighter. Thoughts?