Favorite breed?

LadyIsabelle2011

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Alright, so I was wondering, what's you favorite breed and why? Now this is not supposed to be a "whats the best breed" discussion, cause in all honesty I believe that all breeds have their purpose and reason for being here, I simply mean to ask what breed do you specialize in and what do you you love the most about them? Why and how did they steal your heart and earn your pride and good opinion of them?

I'll start ;) :

My breed of choice just happens to be the good ol' American quarter horse. Now of course they aren't the flashiest, the fastest, or even the toughest, but if anyone ever asked me what a good all around horse was the first thing I'd say would undoubtedly be a Quarter. I've never met a Quarter that I didn't instantly fall in love with(though there were a few quarter mixes that were a little crazy...I still loved them, but from a distance ) and when ever I see that tough good natured look on their faces I just about melt...though this is just me speaking from personal experience. Quaters just happen to be the breed I grew up with, so of course my opinion is a little biased :p

Which is the reason that I am asking this question. I want to hear about other peoples "breed of choice", which horses did YOU grow up with, and what about them tugs on your heart strings? :)

baileybear4

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I really love draft horses. Especially Belgians. They're like gentle giants. I have yet to meet one with a bad temperment
They're beautiful creatures

horseowner

Just born
Reaction score
I have never been stuck on one breed. I love them all. But I grew up showing mainly the Quarter horse and really love the breed. But now that I am hitting the golden years and I don't bounce well anymore. I have found that I am now really enjoying the gaited breeds. Since now I enjoy trail riding as much if not more than showing. The gaited horse just makes it much easier on old bones and the ride is so much smoother.

Right now I have two gaited horses. A standardbred and a Peruvian. But I still have two Quarter horses as well.

Sheepdog

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
That's a tough one... but okay

Quarter Horses are my first choice because I have always competed in western performance, cutting and reining.

I also have Hunter Under Saddle Quarter Horses... so they are Appendix registered Quarter Horses... big tall 16 1/2 to 17 hands and look like Thoroughbreds.

We always had Australian Stock Horses (in Australia) for campdrafting and often for ranch work.

My best ranch horse was... and Anglo Arab... she didn't have an ounce of "cow sense" about her, but she would go all day long and through and over the roughest terrain there was and she would just float over any rough country, up and down hills and never miss a beat.

I went trail riding with some friends in the mountains in Montana and took one of my QHs.... we took pack mules and camped out in the wilderness for a week and averaged 15 to 20 mile rides per day and over some pretty rough country. My poor old QH while he did really well considering he has been an arena horse most of his life, he had to jog and slow lope a lot of the time to keep up with my friends Foxtrotters and TWs. I had never been interested in a gaited horse and then my friend suggested I ride one of hers.... wow, I was blown away.... so if I were to ever give up the QHs and purely just trail ride, I would definitely get myself a gaited horse.

I also had a big 17.2 hand Belgian mare and she was the most gentle animal, she was broke to ride and for harness and could pull anything.

So it's horses for courses.... Although I have mostly QHs (and one registered paint), I still like other breeds for other purposes if that makes any sense.

Kotori

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I have never had the pleasure of owning a horse, but I remember as a 6 year old being given this book on horse breeds, and flipping through the pages every day for 6 years...The same picture captivated me the entire time. Shires. My dream horse is a blue-black shire with pure white feathers with a white blaze.

But I also have a special spot in my heart for Morgan horses. Since I was 6 and pointed out their name, I was told I was named after them. Even now my mom swears I was named after them. It is more than a little odd that most Morgans I have seen have fur the color of my hair too.

But I love them all...Makes me wish I had a couple acres...

yankee'n'moxie

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Well, this is going to be a very biased post because I have 2 Standardbreds (one is a cross, though). But I love them dearly. They always do what asked, and learn VERY quickly. I taught my gelding how to ground tie in half an hour yesterday. He will stand there for forever! I can go and do whatever I please (scoop grain for the next feeding, shake out hay, put the chickens in, anything) and he will just stand there watching me. Amazing horses!

I do love paints though! 4 years ago, before I got my horses, I had a very special relationship with a paint mare at the stable where I volunteered. She was an amazing horse, and now all paints hold a special place with me.

gretchenann

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
My favorite is Quarterhorse- I have had Arabs, and a Thoroughbred but to me the Quarterhorse (at least the ones I have had) are the most even tempered, steady, comfortable, and versatile. But that's just me and I know people who have Aarabs that say the same, as well Standardbreds, Foxtrotters, etc...I guess it depends on what you are going to use your horse for and also your level of expertise comes into play (as well aesthetics) :) we like what we like- it's subjective LOL;)

sawfish99

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Right now my answer is National Show Horse (1/2 Saddlebred 1/2 Arabian). Mostly because I just picked one up this weekend to become my eventer this summer. I absolutely love riding this horse. I love his energy and how comfortable he is under saddle.

I also really enjoy riding our Saddlebred Quarterhorse cross, so it's possible I just like half Saddlebreds.

redtailgal

Reaction score
Hanoverian......hands down.

Love everything about them. My hano mare could do anything. She did dressage for awhile, was pretty good, but didnt like it, so she "retired". SHe loved to run and jump and was an awesome ranch horse.

michickenwrangler

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Arabs, Arab crosses and Saddlebreds

So much more energy and Get-up-and-go than a lot of other breeds. Then again, I do endurance so I want something that can trot all day and not tire out