Favorite breed?

Alicia G

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Wow that's tough to decide! I love my two minis, I also love Gypsy Vanners :)

boothcreek

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
The Shagya hands down. An Old War breed that now a days holds the top spots internationally in endurance, is used to refine various warmblood breeds and over all does very well in all disciplines. I personally like the look of a team of shagyas in front of a carriage a lot!

Their intelligence, eagerness to work and learn just makes these horses so much fun to deal with. That coupled with their calm yet sensitive demeanour just makes them a wonderful breed for anyone.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I have a Quarter Horse, a Paint, a Tennessee Walker and a TW mule. I love them all madly. :love But if I could have any horse I wanted, it would be a black leopard spotted Appaloosa, not just any leopard App, but an Indian Shuffler from Idaho, Wyo, or Montanna, where these fabulous horses are raised.

HorseLover4Him

Just born
Reaction score
My Favorite Breed Is probably, Quarter horse Arabian mix, Which is what I own!! :love

starlight012

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Personally I like Paints and Quarter Horses! My first horse ever was a paint. She was a beautiful Black and White!;)

perchie.girl

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I have had horses now for 47 years and I really do not have a favorite. I am not a trainer but was taught by a horse whisperer before it was a real term.

My first real relationship with a horse was a Standardbred mare.... She was two I was sixteen.... She gave me a wonderful half Arab foal when she was about nine. He was my partner for fourteen years. Dressage, Western Pleasure, Jumping, Harness, Trail Brush popping. You name it he would do it for you. I even had a PRCA cowboy borrow him for a ride with my girlfriend.... at the start he laughed saying hed never ridden one of those fru fru ARaybs.... Making fun. when he came back he was dutifully impressed by my horse's fearlessness apparently they had tried to cross a stream not knowing how deep it was. They hopped in and both went in over their heads.

My current Love is a purebred Percheron Mare. Love her to death. Shes a sweet goobery prankster. Bought her as a six year old pasture ornament and broke her to ride and drive. I cant ride any more but she has a home with me for life. shes going to be twenty next month.

Shes in my Avatar.

deb

Fluffygal

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Just came across this old thread.

I have rode donkey as a kid. As I grew up rode friends horses which were normally backyard mixes of mystery. These backyarders were sweet horses.
Rode QHs, Paint mare, and Arabian.
I loved my first horse who was a paint mare. She was the best first horse ever and forgave me of many newbie mistakes. She always has a special place in my heart.
The Arabian I got to ride was a scrapy older grey mare trained in endurance. I was impressed by her zeal to go and spunky attitude. She was a joy to ride that day and I am glad I got the privledge to ride her.

I love paints and Arabs because of these 2 horses. But I also love those mystery backyard mixes (not Mustangs, just horses that came out of unplanned breeding from different backgrounds that my friends had) Never met a real Mustang but they do fascinate me as they are symbols of the wildness of America and those long past days of early discover of the USA.

Do not have horses at the moment and right now I am in the overly fuffy state. Am working on getting weight off and thinking of the days when I used to ride. Would love to have a horse in my future again. Maybe a sweet Paint or spunky Arab or maybe a cross of both of my favorites. Ofcourse, it really is hard to have a favorite breed when there are so many I have never met or had a chance to ride...;)

taylorm17

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I love Arabians because they are shorter than most breeds, are fast, gentle, and loving. I also love quarter horses. They don't care about much, trust the rider, are trustworthy, and can be used for every type of riding!

violetsky888

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I love all breeds of horses but my heart always races when I see an appaloosa. They always seem to have big personalities. My first horse was a leopard appaloosa named Joker who was gelded late, (8 yrs old) and still thought he was all that and some. He knew how to open stall doors and would let himself out and walk over and release his favorite mare, Dee Dee then stroll over to the feed room and have a party rolling feed barrels. He also was the only horse I've seen that would lay down by a fences and stretch his head under to get that greener grass on the other side or rear up to get a tasty leaf. Another endearing trait he had was to buck rodeo style maybe once a year for no apparent reason. As soon as you hit the ground he'd walk over and look at you like you were some kind of idiot. He would always stand patiently waiting for you mount back up and you invariably did because of the stupid innocent concerned look on his face would defuse any anger or fear you might have from being bucked off. He loved hanging out with people and would party with all the kids that would hang out at my parents barn. My brothers and their friends non-horse people would give him beer and soda which he could drink from the can or bottle. Joker never met a stranger and love to slobber and lick your shoulder, much to my chagrin as I'd have to got to school with oaty stains on my clothes. He made best friends with the crusty old electrician that came to wire the barn. Joker had his nose into everything and was practically handing him nails he was so intent on being involved. You gotta love those spots, great hooves, never sick, easy keepers all around wonderful horse the appaloosa.