Feeder pig has greenish watery stools

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
That’s good. I know he’s in good hands. We slaughtered Cornish Cross chickens yesterday. I grow them big. Most dress out 6-7 pounds. I cradle those dirty birdies as I carry them to the killing cone. Yes I am about to cut their throat and bleed them out. No I don’t want to hurt them on the way. Legs and wings can break or pop out of socket. I try hard to be careful with them. Oxymoron? Maybe. Just because I’m going to eat them doesn’t mean that I don’t care about them.
You care about your pig. Yes, you are going to eat him, but you sure will take care of him and see that he has a good life.

goatyyymama164

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Ham Solo was literally gifted to us by our neighbor so we didn't really do much research before we got him so we are very much newbies. Thanks for all the info!

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Ham Solo was literally gifted to us by our neighbor so we didn't really do much research before we got him so we are very much newbies. Thanks for all the info!
Pigs are fairly easy to raise and reward your efforts with some delicious meat. Do you have a slaughter date set? Here slaughterhouses are booking a year out! We got in a bind one year and did our own.

goatyyymama164

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Pigs are fairly easy to raise and reward your efforts with some delicious meat. Do you have a slaughter date set? Here slaughterhouses are booking a year out! We got in a bind one year and did our own.
He is going to the butcher on June 7 if I remember correctly. Do you think he will be big enough then? Right now his estimated weight is 185 pounds.

goatyyymama164

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
What are you feeding him and how much?
Hello! I am so sorry I haven't gotten back to you! My daughter estimated his weight and he is about 210-220 lbs. Right now he is 2 weeks away from slaughter date and he is on hog finisher. I think he is getting between 6-7 lbs of food a day.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
That’s great! 2 weeks from slaughter, home grown pork is the best. You can ask for the liver and heart, cook them and chop to add to dog kibble. You can also ask for the fat, slowly melt it on the stove and can it in quart jars. Lard makes the best pie crust and is good to cook with.

goatyyymama164

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
That’s great! 2 weeks from slaughter, home grown pork is the best. You can ask for the liver and heart, cook them and chop to add to dog kibble. You can also ask for the fat, slowly melt it on the stove and can it in quart jars. Lard makes the best pie crust and is good to cook with.
Yup! We had a rancher that lives 45 mins away from us drop off a black angus bull a few weeks ago, man the meat is the best! We asked for knuckles and marrow, the heart, oxtail, tongue, and leftover bones for the dogs, never want to waste any meat! Might as well use as much of the animal as possible!

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Absolutely! I have beef bones in the freezer that I need to simmer and can the broth.
Slaughtering chickens today, I always can broth and can the bony back pieces, neck, heart, for the dogs. I scald the feet, peel them and make broth from them too. Waste nothing!