Feeder Pigs 2017

Red the butcher

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I have a big chest freezer and another small chest freezer.
Going to need to make some room when we take the steers.
That had to be scheduled 3 months in advance and the date is July 11th.
Seams like your math was done by hanging weight. Hanging weight and what you get back for actual meat are not the same. I do all my math by the actual meat i get to eat.

OneFineAcre

Herd Master
Reaction score
Seams like your math was done by hanging weight. Hanging weight and what you get back for actual meat are not the same. I do all my math by the actual meat i get to eat.
I'm pretty sure I said "hanging weight"
$1.59 a lb hanging weight
i got the head, feet, and Fatback
I didn't differentiate the cuts no

OneFineAcre

Herd Master
Reaction score
Why would you lrave the skin on? They then hang the pig with skin and you pay to cut and wrap it while 95 percent of it ends up in the gut pile.

95 percent of the skin doesn't go in the gut pile here
Must be a local thing
Here the hog goes into an area and gets a nice bath to remove mud etc
Then he goes to another area and is humanely killed
He goes on a big hoist and is dipped in scalding water
Hair is scraped and then gutted
Hangs for a couple of days in a cooler at about 36 degrees or whatever schedule allows
Then is cut up
The skin on all of the ham and shoulder cuts remain
The only skin tossed is on the back

Last edited:

Red the butcher

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Yes i know what stays on for skin. Im a butcher and slaughterman. Leaving the skin on these days is mostly a gimmick to get the costomer to pay more for hanging weight. Unless you are doing a roaster there really is no point. As a butcher i love it when a customer wants me to scald. I make way more money. All i was saying about your math was that when figuring what your price per pound is for your final product, hanging weight doesn't matter. The weight of the meat you can get back is what matters. Since we were talking about how cheap you could end up raising a pig for i thought you were commenting on that.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
We got a half inch of rain at 4 AM and it came down hard. I took my 3 gallon bucket this morning, and filled it with glass shards, metal, cans and rusted parts from unknown cars that used to run. The pigs root up 60 year old burn piles and the rain helps expose the trash. Makes it easy to pick up!

Their mud hole was full of water, so they had an open spa! While Spot was soaking in the spa, Red came over and gave him a snout massage!

IMG_1731.JPG

lcertuche

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I keep thinking someday I might try to butcher a pig. I've watched a lot of Scott Rea video's on YouTube. Maybe I could watch it on the laptop and try to follow along, hitting pause (a lot). Anyway I've butchered chickens, rabbits, and a lot of deer.

OneFineAcre

Herd Master
Reaction score
I keep thinking someday I might try to butcher a pig. I've watched a lot of Scott Rea video's on YouTube. Maybe I could watch it on the laptop and try to follow along, hitting pause (a lot). Anyway I've butchered chickens, rabbits, and a lot of deer.
My grandfather and all of his siblings were farmers and lived within a few miles of each other
In the fall the whole extended family got together and "killed hogs"
They all had smokehouses
They'd do like 20-25 on a Saturday

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
We went in with our neighbors one year and butchered 4 hogs but they "butchered" the processing and we elected not to do that again. Pork is my favorite meat but I can only eat so much sausage.

Red the butcher

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
It's so easy. If you can do a deer you can do a pig. Anyone I've ever taught says the same thing when its all over, man that was easier than i thought.