Feeder Pigs 2017

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
We went to Gander Mountain today and bought a 22" meat/bone saw. Gander Mountain is going out of business, last day is end of August. Then they will remodel, rebrand and open up as Gander Outdoors. Everything is marked down. We were told they will mark down again either this or next Thursday. We'll go back for ammo.

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
Dang -- you're on a roll girl!! Rabbits, hogs.......no one better get in your way on that farm :hide

Chops -- best to let the whole section lay in the freezer to get really, really cold, then cut at backbone end with a saw the thickness you want them, finish thru with a sharp knife. I they are close to freeze on outer edges they will cut thru nicely. At least that's what I found worked for me. Of course, you can remove the whole loin & cut into chops, then use the bone with remaining meat on grill.
I know you have this figured out! :lol:

That little gal looks like she jumps right into the work at hand. Nice to have good help.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
She texted me this evening, she was making tacos with the ground pork. She said it was so tender and had such a good flavor. I'm really wanting to take a bite out of our hog, but he'd probably bite me back.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Hog #2 is on ice. Processing commences tomorrow at 1:00 PM. Can't wait to get #3 done-that one is ours!

Got pickles simmering on the stove and will be canning them in a couple hours. Then keeping grand daughters tonight so their parents can get some much needed sleep.

While Jennifer and I slaughtered the hog, my husband and neighbor Robert put our smoker pit together.

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
Thankfully mine were done a while back --- BUT I did cook a shoulder from one today, sliced some and have rest working to become pulled pork BBQ. Good stuff!

Getting ready to make some of those frozen slabs in bacon. Need to buy some more salt, all else here.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
You're just a hog killing machine Bay :thumbsup
Closest slaughter date I was able to get was August 29! And I called in first of May! No way I'm keeping them until end of August. So we just tackled them ourselves.

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
So -- the guys set up a "smoker"....does that mean you are smoking your bacon? hams? We need to know :lol:

Utube had a guy who smoked his using a bucket of wood set on top of a propane heater like you use for turkey frying....looked like a little outhouse building he was using to hang them. LOL. Have everything for the rub/soak, just have to decide how I want to then dry it. Have a small smoker grill. Need a day to watch temps and do.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
We took the afternoon off yesterday. I was near a state of paralysis and it felt good to waste away in my recliner LOL. We just finished cutting and vacuum sealing Robert's hog. Still have to grind sausage. I cut each shoulder into two roasts and the leg shanks into soup bones. We cut the boneless loin in steaks, hams made fresh ham steaks, sausage trimmings and soup bones. We packaged the ribs. It is some real pretty meat and our neighbor is so pleased.
IMG_1818.JPG

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
That is some pretty meat. We are going to slaughter one of our wethers in the next day or so. He was one that had some flimsy looking horns from who knows where that got broke off and needs tending to. He was slated for slaughter anyway just not until next month.

Latest posts