Feeding goats

Kass

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Hi guys! I will soon be getting a Saanen/ND doe and a Nubian doe, both 8 wks old. I have been looking for information on feeding, and haven't found any non-confusing answers! These are my questions.... try your best to answer... sorry I'm scatter brained...
-I will be putting them on Dumor Goat Feed for kids and dairy goats( they will be dairy goats). Can I also add alfalfa pellets this young?
-Do they need alfalfa pellets this young? (I do not feed alfalfa hay)
-If not this young, when (if) should I add them? They will have some forage available.
-How much Alfalfa pellets? How much grain?
-Does anyone have a guideline for amounts as they get older?
-They will need grain as they are growing, and then should I keep them on grain through the winter? They will be bred in the spring.
THANKS!

lalabugs

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
What hay do you currently feed? Basics is hay, water, and mineral 24/7.
When it comes to grain everyone does things differently. I give my young does 1/2 a cup 2x a day. For Nigerians and Nigerian mixes. I have no advice on alfalfa pellets. I do not feed alfalfa pellets. I feed alfalfa hay. ND are easy keepers. As they grow I would watch them to make sure they're not getting fat.
I have no certain age when I up grain. Some does I do not up grain except when in milk. Other does need a little extra as they're growing. It really depends on the animal. Some animals can get fat on nothing. It is all subjective.

I like to weigh my young goats once a month to make sure they're gaining adequately.

Kass

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
What hay do you currently feed? Basics is hay, water, and mineral 24/7.
When it comes to grain everyone does things differently. I give my young does 1/2 a cup 2x a day. For Nigerians and Nigerian mixes. I have no advice on alfalfa pellets. I do not feed alfalfa pellets. I feed alfalfa hay. ND are easy keepers. As they grow I would watch them to make sure they're not getting fat.
I have no certain age when I up grain. Some does I do not up grain except when in milk. Other does need a little extra as they're growing. It really depends on the animal. Some animals can get fat on nothing. It is all subjective.

I like to weigh my young goats once a month to make sure they're gaining adequately.
-I don't feed alfalfa hay, I just grab couple bales of whatever available locally.
-I have been feeding just a half a cup of grain a day... I have heard scary things about feeding to much grain... do you think I would be fine to up it to 1 cup a day?
-About the minerals... I was planning on doing free choice loose minerals, but at my local feed store it was $15 for a bag no more than 5 pounds...is that expensive? How long would it last?

B&B Happy goats

Herd Master
Reaction score
We have ND and mini nubians, we feed local hay, goat pellets and loose minerals sometimes the mineral block for goats. When pregnant I often add BOSS ( black oil sunflower seeds) and alfalfa pellets to the mix, the alfalfa pellets are a little large and can be difficult for them to swallow so I do try to break them up some....we feed 2x day about 1/2 cup each when not pregnant.
Good luck with your goats, have fun and enjoy them...they are delightful animals :)

Kass

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
We have ND and mini nubians, we feed local hay, goat pellets and loose minerals sometimes the mineral block for goats. When pregnant I often add BOSS ( black oil sunflower seeds) and alfalfa pellets to the mix, the alfalfa pellets are a little large and can be difficult for them to swallow so I do try to break them up some....we feed 2x day about 1/2 cup each when not pregnant.
Good luck with your goats, have fun and enjoy them...they are delightful animals :)
Thank You!