Feeding Practices ~ Pigs

Mikethepigman

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
@NH homesteader , not 100% on if they are the same. However 16% is good. That's about the same percent as what I feed. I have sold many piglets to folks who want to raise they meat and sometimes they've done it before. I ALWAYS mention feed to educate and hopefully save someone else some money. Idk how many times I've heard ppl say that last year they just buy the pellets from TSC or other feed store. At $13-$16 a 50# bag that's expensive! I choose Kent over Purina and kalabock feeds. In my area those are my options and kent is noticeable better. In your neck of the woods it may vary. If your feed is doing what you want and it's cheaper... Then definitely stick with it. I save only $40 per ton on feed doing it my way and also using a different mill. But after 12 ton plus a year, I'll take that $40 lol. I have four mills to choose from,all with in 20 mins.However I did not discover this feed mix. A guy I worked with years back was talking about pig raising and that's his mix. Since then I've been to i dont even know how many hog farms, talked to dozens of ppl and the proof is in the hog. My buddies hogs from birth to butcher were the nicest and healthiest pigs I've seen. He is small, with one boar and four or five sow's maybe a gilt or two to breed. My best advice on feed is to call a mill, if you have one around the area and ask, what lean grower they have for pigs, whats the cost to grind up 400# corn and 100# lean grower, what's the end % protein. Then compare 500# of that in a pen with two pigs and see if you notice any difference, in the two different pens of pigs and the Ol pocket book. There is no wrong way to feed a pig. Only thing is how fast you can grow them, the quality of meat/fat content and of course the pocket book. You can grow a pig just on corn, figure on it taking a few extra months tho. I choose my feed based on what I've seen, and I can feed it to allllllllll my pigs. Some mills will ask how many pigs and what weights. Then they will sell you on their feed ratio feeding schedule, example, one mill says it's $94 for 500# feed for pigs up to 90lbs. Then it's $87 for 500# for pigs from 90lbs to 160lbs and finally $85 for 500# for pigs from 160 lbs to finish weight, 220-250lbs. That's alot of headache and trying to figure out the weights and whatnots. Farming is spouse to be simple and fun... Be glad answer any other questions.

NH homesteader

Herd Master
Reaction score
We pay $50 for a 55 gallon drum of feed from a local guy with a silo. Not sure where there is a feed mill around here. Hopefully we will get our own silo before too long. All our friends who raise pigs buy the same feed so we can sell a bunch too.

Mikethepigman

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
It might be worth while to check Craigslist and see if you find a silo. I look for ppl getting out of framing and see what all they wanna get rid of. I got my 2 1/2 ton silo for $50, traded a goat to a guy and he gave me a new boot and made a sliding latch for it. All together I prolly have around $100 in it after time and gas and the goat. Sounds like you could get feed and sell enuff to raise your pigs for free. That would awesome!!

NH homesteader

Herd Master
Reaction score
Oh I check all the time but we are looking at more like $1,000+ around here. Not much is cheap in New England!

Mikethepigman

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
You'd almost be better off to get a small trailer and build something outta wood on in so you could haul more at a time or something. That's a bummer everything is that high up there, I can get two 4-6 ton silos for $300. Just never called the guy back, I seen they was still there at his house. I shoulda just got em and resold them for profit but I've more irons than fire at the moment and winter is just around corner. Heck it's be almost worth the gas and weekend to travel for one.

NH homesteader

Herd Master
Reaction score
Well it's $50 delivered to our house. Our friend makes a run every week. I can't complain!

Also no one will deliver anything less than 3 tons where we live. Which limits us.

misfitmorgan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Well it's $50 delivered to our house. Our friend makes a run every week. I can't complain!

Also no one will deliver anything less than 3 tons where we live. Which limits us.

Thought this might be helpful.

Assuming you are buying a mix of corn/sy/beans/wheat it should be 55-60lbs per bushel, a 55 gallon drum holds about 6 bushels meaning your paying $50 for approx 330-360lbs of feed, which comes out to $13.89-15.15 per 100lbs of feed. I would guess your probly closer to the $13.89 end of the scale...so your not doing to bad on feed costs i wouldnt think. Breaking your costs down to the per 100lbs or per 50lbs is an easy way to compare other feed sources. Way easier to say well $13/100lbs vs $7/50lbs....then $50/55 gallon drum vs $7/50lbs.

Of course you also have that handy delivery person :p

NH homesteader

Herd Master
Reaction score

If we buy feed by the bag at the local feed store we have to pay $15/50 lbs (give or take, it fluctuates) plus it's a half hour drive each way, which adds up. Tractor Supply is even more expensive than that.

misfitmorgan

Herd Master
Reaction score
The cheapest pig feed TSC sells here is $11.99/50lbs. As i mentioned before we get out pig feed for $14.25/100lbs so $7.13/50lbs, so much cheaper from the mill for us. If you are ok mentioning where you live, we could probly source a feed mill for you i know NH does have them. Alternatively you could ask your local Ag extension office where the closest feed mills to you would be, they should know. If you dont like either of those two options you could always ask a few farmers where the closest feed mill is, if they grow any row crops they should know.

Latest posts