Feeding routine

SageHill

Herd Master
Reaction score
Starting to think I'm not solid enough for this!!
Nah - you're good. The first ones are the hardest. It can be bittersweet - hard to let go, but afterwards life gets better/easier/safer.
I let go of one of my oldies earlier this year. He'd been a great sheep esp with new dogs, but he was getting old. I felt bad, but I also got $ and put that into some new sheep - and one gave me twins. It's a cycle. You treat them well, and they move on.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Starting to think I'm not solid enough for this!!
Yes you are. You have all of us for backup. We all have BTDT (been there done that)
Farming is laughter, tears, joy beyond measure, heartbreak, and loving what we do. The joys far outweigh the sad times and thank fully those are few and far between.
You got this!

jambi1214

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Animal crackers got me some new best friends! My troubles ewes are on my hip now. Contacted auction and they will come get rid of them and sell them (perfect!) So at least I know for when ready. Since doing good leaving them be for now waiting on one to lamb. Been out on pasture and prob great for their feet. For bottle lambs they have been eating some pasture when I take them out and I now know they are getting grain (minimal hay and love Chaffey but only put a bit with hay!) Doing 10oz twice daily of formula but as I finally saw today getting grain I'm ready to fully wean, I think.....getting some big bellies. Was going to give about 7oz tonight and get them out on pasture with older lambs tomorrow. Can I cold turkey cut them off formula?

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Animal crackers= sheep cocaine!!

When we wean lambs off their mommas, we don’t let them go visiting to get a little milk, just a little. LOL

So yes you can stop cold turkey but being bottle babies, you a can also taper off. They will still squall when you stop. Cold turkey or taper off, they will make you feel like a mean lamb mommy!

Show Sebright

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I feed a market lamb. I feed 1 lbs of show tec 18 lamb feed and 4 oz of fitter 52, 2 times a day.
We usually go with 2-4% of their body weight 2 times a day.
I do very little coastal (if I’m going for no weight gain) or alfalfa (if I want him to gain weight).

Attachments

• 4E58595C-F480-4B34-B3F8-5A925DC0AB37.jpeg
    4E58595C-F480-4B34-B3F8-5A925DC0AB37.jpeg
    207.5 KB · Views: 66
  • 3A250B6B-A7D6-4E16-B339-C2755814EEB8.jpeg
    3A250B6B-A7D6-4E16-B339-C2755814EEB8.jpeg
    345.5 KB · Views: 58

Show Sebright

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Use a regular, plain salt/mineral mix. Don't buy the molasses "minerals", they'll always over eat that.
Don't mix minerals and feed.
They'll eat their fill, then eat what they need afterwards.
Really? I have to mix a little in my lambs feed every month . We won’t touch it. It get gross before he even looks at it.
Even when I mixed it my my lambs feed he will leave it at the bottom. After a few weeks he will finally eat it all as I mix it back in.

Show Sebright

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Thank you. He is the ram. I have 2 Rams, 2 wethers and the rest ewes. They Rams fence fight too much and I'm scared to be honest. I want to get there girls healthy. And also be able to enjoy them and with the rams.there it's impossible. I have about 3/4 acre for these 3 and rest are out on about 4 acres. Fencing issue for sure. This ram jumps 4ft fence and I just don't have enough space. I wanted to put the rams together and just let all the ewes, lambs and wethers together but I'm terrified of leaving Rams together. They were together with the ewes pictured a few months ago but haven't tried just them 2 together. I'm super paranoid and want some peace on the farm but noone wants a ram now let alone one with a weird looking eye (although it's totally fine) View attachment 94330
Put him up for auction. You’ll get more then you thought he was worth.