Femoral Head Ostectomy and Hip Dysplasia in Sentry

Duckfarmerpa1

Herd Master
Reaction score
I’m really glad to hear about his wonderful progress!! Obviously you have a great vet, and your TLC are making all the difference! I’m sure the other two missed him while he was doing his ‘rehab’ inside! :hugs :love:weee

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Sentry took being in the house quite well. If I ask him, he will. Even going back into the crate that he didn't like, but he did it because I asked him. When we came back in after a walk, he went all over the house sniffing everything, like a police dog checking for burglars. :lol: Every time I went outside and did not take him, BJ said he cried for me and watched until I came back.

He is back in his element now. I took his food out this evening, then realized that Ringo needed water, so I went for a bucket of fresh cold water. Sentry let out some frustrated barks. I looked and Joy Chicken was eating his food and he did NOT like it! :gigI clipped the leash on him and he moved Joy Chicken on out. He gobbled down his food, then guarded the empty bowl from her.

@Ridgetop I don't know that this will be the cure all for Sentry's hip dysplasia, but it's worth a shot. If it works, great. If it doesn't , then at least we tried. We give it our best, don't we?

@Duckfarmerpa1 We have 2 Great Pyrenees, Trip and Paris. Then we have Carson, a big black Great Dane/Labrador cross that is filled with the exuberance of life. Carson doesn't know why his friend won't run and play with him.

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
Absolutely worth the chance. He is a good dog and if he makes it, which it looks like he is doing, he will be a good LGD backup to the other dogs. It is always worth a shot.

I don't know what the vet bill will be for today with 2 vets trying to save our ewe that we finally put down with 2 dead lambs in her. I probably should have shot her myself and opened her up to try to save any lambs, but instead had the vet out to try to save her with or without the lambs. In the end 2 unborn dead lambs and we euthanized the ewe. Same thing with the prolapsing ewe - I know I should have just put her down when it got bad and the heck with the lambs, but it was worth a try to save her long enough to produce. In that case, killing her would have killed 2 living lambs. So one survived at least. I try to be hard, but can't always hold out. Sometimes the $$$$ cost is less than the heart cost.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
We went to see The Call of The Wild. The dog, Buck, was animated. The animators gave Buck all kinds of humanized expressions. Both BJ and I were thinking of Sentry and his funny expressions. Uncanny.

So this evening I took him with me to feed, he ate his supper, we took a couple of walks and I brought him to the house for awhile. Carson came in too. Both dogs sprawled out in the floor and conked out. It started to get dark, so I put on my coat, to take him back to the barn. He watched me closely. I called him, I got an eye roll but no other movement. I asked him to go outside. He raised his head, walled his eyes at me and put his head back down. BJ was laughing. I asked Carson to go outside and he jumped up and went out the door. Not Sentry. Nope. Uh-uh. Not going. Sentry’s face told the story. By this time, BJ was laughing so hard, he was in tears. I was laughing too at his refusal to leave his comfortable floor. Barn? Hay? Sheep? Not happening!! I called Carson back in and both dogs are fast asleep. Score: Sentry 1 Me 0.

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
Bubba is often less interested in resuming outside duties than the girls. In addition, if the door is left open unattended he will quietly mosey in and lay down in what he assumes is an unobtrusive manner. 170 lbs. has a hard time not being observed. Also, he thinks if he looks away from us and HE can't see us, then WE can't see him either. LOL Silly dogs!

Latest posts