Femoral Head Ostectomy and Hip Dysplasia in Sentry

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Ok, here goes. We had quite a scare this week. On Monday evening, Sentry clearly didn't feel good, he was limping on both back legs and there was a big hard knot pushed out past the base of his tail. When I touched it, he licked my hand, telling me it hurt. From the looks of it, it looked like the other hip blew out. We had already discussed not having another surgery and putting him down. So we loved him, sniffled, and prepared ourselves for the worst. We took him to the vet Tuesday. What a Covid-19 experience that was!

Curbside vet care. No one was allowed inside, the vet techs came out and took the pets inside. Care was performed, then the pet was brought back to the owner. Another lady brought the bill and took payment. Nuts. We expressed our concerns to the tech and she led Sentry away. The vet came out and said that his X-ray looked the same, it was not out of place. I asked about the bump on his hindquarter and the vet said he didn't know, but it wasn't bone. So we figured that maybe it was a muscular injury from him playing too hard with the other dogs. We heaved a sigh of relief that we didn't have to put him down.

That lump was sore and it hurt. I kept watching him, wondering what was wrong. Thursday morning I saw blood spots on the porch and his anus was bloody. Back to the vet we went. For the first time, I didn't have to lift him in the truck, he jumped in. He had an impacted anal gland and it had ruptured. We left him, they sedated him and cleaned him all up and soaked the area with antibiotic. We picked him up that afternoon. The vet said that normally, big dogs don't get an impacted anal gland, that is mostly a little dog problem. DH asked the vet why Sentry had an impacted anal gland, if it was a little dog problem. The vet shrugged and said, "You got a lemon?" We all laughed. Lemon he certainly is, a train wreck of a dog. The vet agreed with us that Sentry can't take another surgery, the operated leg dangles, the muscles have atrophied and he just doesn't have a good leg to stand on. Not if, but when, his other hip blows out or becomes too painful for him, we will say our tearful goodbyes and give him a peaceful escape.

So now he has a shaved butt, an obvious hole that is healing up, pain pills and antibiotics for a week. His fur is starting to look like a patchwork of shaved spots. He feels much better and is running and playing again. We let the sheep out in the yard and he laid in the soft clover under a pine tree, watching, on guard. His mind and heart is in it, his crippled leg, sore butt body slows him down, but it ain't stopping him.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I haven't posted here in awhile. Sentry's leg healed up. He runs, plays, loves to work and be with the sheep. He is training Sheba, our now 9 month old Anatolian puppy. His recovery from the FHO surgery and then the ruptured anal gland has been phenomenal. He uses that leg and unless you really look hard, it's hard to notice his gait has something wonky about it. He has stayed small. His chest is deep and wide, his feet are big, but he has not grown into them. I take that as a good thing, his skeletal structure can't take heavy weight. He has turned out to be a darn good dog, a great guard for the sheep and he is my protector.

After all the time I spent with him on his recovery, he got very attached to me. That dog loves me and enjoys me sitting on a milk crate and giving him hugs. It looks like Sentry just may have a very good, long life.

messybun

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I wonder if some swimming would help him out? He’d probably get an ear infection and go deaf poor boy, but I wonder if it would keep his muscles stronger?

Latest posts