FF Developing Uneven Udder While Pregnant

frustratedearthmother

Herd Master
Reaction score
I know this is a long shot, and I'm only mentioning it because I've had it happen.... but... any chance this gal is self-sucking?

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
:barnie:ep Really FEM? That happens?:th

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
How would you put a stop to that? One of those plastic funnel things they put on dogs necks to stop them from biting themselves?

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
Not really sure but I have heard teat tape, but many times they will chew the tape off. Glad I never had to deal with it. Very weird habit.

KidMandy

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Eek. I didn't know that kind of thing would happen. I have never seen her do this, but that's not to say it isn't happening overnight.

I guess we'll have to see what happens at the end of the month. If there's no kidding by August 7th then something else is going on.

@babsbag I am in Canada, so I don't know if the same things are available at our local TSC stores as in the US, but I will certainly check for the Mastitis kit there.

Goat Whisperer

Herd Master
Reaction score
If you get a mastitis test, don't get the cardboard strips. Totally useless :rant

A CMT kit would be best, hope you can find one.

Thankfully I haven't dealt with self-suckling does. I'm shocked our 1 lamancha doe doesn't self-nurse. She still loves milk and will try to drink the milk out of the bucket. Weird goat. She'll try to get it out of a bottle, bucket, or sometimes another goats udder :eek:

Epona142

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Self-nursers are very hard to break - if not impossible. Some breeders believe they will teach other goats to do it - I am not convinced, but not outside the realm of possibility.

Here is a video of a doe self sucking.

I've found that the habit is most likely to form in dam raised goats who are never properly weaned/separated from the dam.

Just looking at the picture, it's possible, but I would still be more concerned about mastitis.

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
If she hasn't kidded by August 7 you can always start milking her anyways. I love my goat that comes into milk without breeding. I actually have two that do that but only one that I milk, the other girl is getting old and I just let her be, unless of course she starts bullying at the gate for grain, then I will start milking her again.

Latest posts