FF Goat - Asking Questions

Louannx

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
By the way @Louannx how's your other doe? Is there no chance she's bred as well?

No, I do not think so. She goes in heat about every 3 weeks and the bucks go nuts. They never went nuts with Dotti at all so I knew she was pregnant. Jolie was born Feb 1st so I was off on her months. She is 9 months old not 7 months old.

Louannx

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Ok so I noticed today an issue with Dotti milk. She has milk but still a pint or two and cannot get it out of her teats. I gave the kids about 2 ounce a piece of warmed cows milk. I massage and applied warm compress. Any suggestions on what I can give her to make her blow up with milk? It’s been three days since delivery. I will supplement the kids till I can get Dotti going.

MargaretClare

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Ok so I noticed today an issue with Dotti milk. She has milk but still a pint or two and cannot get it out of her teats. I gave the kids about 2 ounce a piece of warmed cows milk. I massage and applied warm compress. Any suggestions on what I can give her to make her blow up with milk? It’s been three days since delivery. I will supplement the kids till I can get Dotti going.
You mean she's not giving any milk at all? Like her teats are plugged or something?

Louannx

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Hi, yes her teat was plugged but I got it fixed. She still has not filled up tight with milk. Still has like two pints of milk. When it comes in late, how late are we talking about. I see all these pics of other people’s goats udders and they look like they have about a gallon and a half.

StarSpangledNubians

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Can you try and get a picture of her udder? Normally if they are filling in late it should be within a week. I've never had it take longer than that. That's just my experience though. If kids are nursing on her it probably won't look like she has a lot of milk. Or maybe her bag is just small. Which can happen. The ones with huge bags are probably dairy goats, and if it's a boer that you have seen with a huge udder, normally it's an older doe who has kidded multiple times.

MargaretClare

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Hi, yes her teat was plugged but I got it fixed. She still has not filled up tight with milk. Still has like two pints of milk. When it comes in late, how late are we talking about. I see all these pics of other people’s goats udders and they look like they have about a gallon and a half.
I agree with @StarSpangledNubians that she probably just has a small boer udder. By the way, does she have 2 teats or 4? Most boers are bred for 2x2 teats while most other goats are 1x1. She's probably producing enough but a pic would help. Do the babies seem normal? Babies really only need about 10% to 12% of their bodyweight in milk per day. So an 8lb kid would only need about 15oz per day.