Finally Kidded yesterday (pics pg. 1)!

Griffin's Ark

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
She is intentionally torturing us! Her tendons relaxed 3 days ago! She acts like nothing has changed! Just goes to show you that when you think you know you really havn't a clue!

:barnie

Chris

Griffin's Ark

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
One more to go and then this breeding is done. Found a new buck for the summer! Longer hair and really really randy!

Chris

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
We can't rule out Herme's yet, but it looks female.
Okay, I found the pic in the first post. But, could you explain the above for me? What is Herme's? What do you mean by "it looks female"? You haven't been able to get close enough to it or what? Sorry, but I'm learning about goats as the forum grows. ;)

Griffin's Ark

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Sorry! I just didn't want to type Hermaphrodite. A polled female can be an it in the goat world. She has a bit of a bump on the bottom of her vagina, so I think that she is Ok. If she was a hermaphrodite the bump should (but not always) be bigger. I really wanted her to have horns! But then again I though she would have more color than she does. She is a cute lil' buckskinner though.

Chris

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Thank you for the explanation. Like, I said, I'm learning about goats. :) I'm sure other goat people knew what you meant. Not sure why you would want her to have horns. Personally, if I had a goat, I wouldn't want the horns. Maybe it's from being around the cows to much and know what their horns can do. :idunno I would think that goat horns could be dangerous too?

Griffin's Ark

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Farmer Kitty said:
Personally, if I had a goat, I wouldn't want the horns. Maybe it's from being around the cows to much and know what their horns can do. :idunno I would think that goat horns could be dangerous too?
You are right a goat with horns can be dangerous. A goat without horns is also dangerous. Being hit by a goat head is like being hit with a brick with fur. Tina got a concussion a few weeks ago from a hornless doe. They both put their heads in the same place at the same time. Tina Lost. If she would have had horns, Tina might not have been as complacent, or that is what I tell my self. When we milk does with horns we have positive control of the horns at all times. It is like having a kitchen knife to me (as in strictly my opinion). I am not going to hand a child a kitchen kniife, nor will I let one inside an enclosure with horned goats. I just wanted her to have horns so I would know for sure that she is really a girl right off the bat. We have a polled buck that I bought yesterday that will be banded and hand tamed and hopefully sold to a family (w/kids).
Chris

Rence

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Congratulations on the pretty pair :)

Chirpy

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Chris - She's just adorable. (I do hope she's a she for you also.) I love that color. :D

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Griffin's Ark said:
Farmer Kitty said:
Personally, if I had a goat, I wouldn't want the horns. Maybe it's from being around the cows to much and know what their horns can do. :idunno I would think that goat horns could be dangerous too?
You are right a goat with horns can be dangerous. A goat without horns is also dangerous. Being hit by a goat head is like being hit with a brick with fur. Tina got a concussion a few weeks ago from a hornless doe. They both put their heads in the same place at the same time. Tina Lost. If she would have had horns, Tina might not have been as complacent, or that is what I tell my self. When we milk does with horns we have positive control of the horns at all times. It is like having a kitchen knife to me (as in strictly my opinion). I am not going to hand a child a kitchen kniife, nor will I let one inside an enclosure with horned goats. I just wanted her to have horns so I would know for sure that she is really a girl right off the bat. We have a polled buck that I bought yesterday that will be banded and hand tamed and hopefully sold to a family (w/kids).
Chris
I'm glad Tina only got a concussion. I'm assuming she is doing better now?

Yep, goat horns sound an awful lot like cows horns. :(

Latest posts