Finding the Right Sheep

Margali

Herd Master
Reaction score
One thing to be aware of White Dorper and Black Dorper (refers to head color) are two seperate breeds as far as registry and bloodlines go. They also have different parasite resistance.

I have had Dorper (Black Dorper) owners tell me they are "psychotic" when discussing what breed to show. I have no info on white Dorpers but the two breed issue may be why some say they are nice while others say horrible.

SageHill

Herd Master
Reaction score
I am a little late to this conversation, but I thought I should add an alternative (at risk breed) to the discussion.
I raise Barbados Blackbelly sheep. They are such a docile, personable animal. They also have great hooves, give birth effortlessly, and are mostly parasite resistant. I have wormed 2 times in 3 years.) They are not as meaty as the Katahdins, but do great in hot climates moist climates. ( We live in Piedmont SC.) You can process these at the farm if you have processed your own deer.
Mine are mostly pasture raised with a round bale of hay available in the winter and feed for expecting ewes. Depending on your pasture you may not need hay in the winter. Rotational grazing is important.
They are naturally poled, and give birth to twins. The males are especially gentle. (See the last picture.)
Taste of meat depends on what you feed. This is important to read about before processing.
Also right now there is a micro grant available for endangered and at risk breeds - the Barbados Blackbelly is an at risk breed.
If you have any questions please reach out to me. Lynn
Wow - I didn't know the Barbs were endangered. Years ago (90's) that was the breed of choice for herding. I've worked some that were crazy wild, and some that were quite nice.
They are pretty tasty too, quite mild with even those who don't care for lamb liking them.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
@Ridgetop has white Dorpers and says they are not psychotic like the black heads. Hers are not pets, but they are not crazy wild, they are much more calmer and friendly than black heads.

Latest posts