Firedragon1982s kindling thread

Bunnylady

Herd Master
Reaction score
The larger the litter, the smaller the kits (assuming the same breed, of course!) This frequently continues to be the case as they grow, too. Apparently, does only produce a certain amount of milk, and the more mouths it feeds, the slower each one grows.

But as to the color of the kits - a pedigree only takes into account the rabbits that are direct ancestors; if you knew what their siblings looked like, you might have a better idea about what might be wandering around unseen in your gene pool. Lilac is a combination of several recessive genes, but there are still a few dominants at play in a few loci. Castor is the result of the expression of dominant traits across the board, so you have the potential for carrying a whole bunch of unseen recessives. REW from that combination wouldn't surprise me at all. Rex also do Cali/Himi/Pointed White; you probably ought to watch the white kits to see if they start to develop dark points (usually shows up first on the tail, then the tips of the ears and toes).

DutchBunny03

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Yay!!!! Yes, you should check the kits every day. I was just wondering how big the buck and dam were because sometimes dams can have kindling difficulties if the buck was too much bigger than her. The kits get to big to be easily and safely kindled.

firedragon1982

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
The larger the litter, the smaller the kits (assuming the same breed, of course!) This frequently continues to be the case as they grow, too. Apparently, does only produce a certain amount of milk, and the more mouths it feeds, the slower each one grows.

But as to the color of the kits - a pedigree only takes into account the rabbits that are direct ancestors; if you knew what their siblings looked like, you might have a better idea about what might be wandering around unseen in your gene pool. Lilac is a combination of several recessive genes, but there are still a few dominants at play in a few loci. Castor is the result of the expression of dominant traits across the board, so you have the potential for carrying a whole bunch of unseen recessives. REW from that combination wouldn't surprise me at all. Rex also do Cali/Himi/Pointed White; you probably ought to watch the white kits to see if they start to develop dark points (usually shows up first on the tail, then the tips of the ears and toes).

I know from the buck his siblings were chocolate, lilac, and otters for both. I know there was a rew buck in their herd, but she said he hadn't been used in their program yet and sounded like they got him from another breeder. Don't know about the does siblings other than another castor doe that was also for sale. I got a quick pic from last night, appears one is a broken, but the other looked all white still but not visible in the pic I took. Let's see if I got the upload thing mastered on the mobile...
1104160821.jpg

firedragon1982

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
So I thought briefly about giving Penelope I've of the black kits to foster so both groups would be fed well... Only to count again and find a 7th in the nest box.:th
Dunno where s/he was hiding... But never mind! I guess each mom will have to care for her own. Crossing my fingers that they have enough to go around. :fl:fl:fl

Either I need to move them a bit more when counting or I need new glasses... Oh my babies! What to do with all them babies!

firedragon1982

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I don't know what color these babies are. These were the ones that looked like they may be white (all pink skin), but now they don't... Fawn? Possible lynx? We'll find out in a week. It's like Christmas, guessing what you're presents are before opening them lol.
1105161117b.jpg
1105161118.jpg

Last edited:

firedragon1982

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Watching the colors evolve is fun. So I thought inn Zelda's litter there was 1 black otter and 2 blacks. Turns out the one I thought was an otter coloring is actually castor. Turned more brown in about 36 hours (couldn't check them this morning, had to wait till evening). Amazing how the coloring can evolve. And man they are little jumping beans! I even got to watch Zelda nurse them as I was doing my chores. She talked a LOT to them. I don't know if it was discomfort of the nursing taking place or what as she does a fair amount of talking when she's scared/spooked on any other given day. It seems her babies are also little noise makers, every time I check them/handle them to count they make all sorts of squeaks and grunts.

Also, Penelope also has some light babies in her litter. Total of 4 brokens, and 3 of the light colors. Can't wait to see what they become. The wiggly things are so hard to photograph well.

1107161903.jpg

firedragon1982

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Just wanted to put up some new photos of the babies who are almost 2 weeks old! How time flies! All of the first litter have opened their eyes, most of the second have at least 1 eye open. I think there's 1 I haven't seen open either yet.
1114160812a.jpg
1115160715.jpg
1115160717.jpg