First Post, What are the Pros and Cons of different LGDs

Beekissed

Herd Master
Reaction score
http://dogs.bsl-sbt.com/dogs/bullarab.php?s=&l= Are these the same as the Bully Grey or the AB grey?

Also....

You might want to look into the Catahoula breed:

LouisianaCatahoulaLeopardDogBushPurebredDogs.jpg

The Louisiana Catahoula Leopard Dog is believed to have originated from Nordic Wolfhound being introduced some three to five hundred years before the Spanish arrived - However, no one will really know for sure. The state of Louisiana is cited as the point of origin, particularly the area of Catahoula. In 1979, the breed was designated the state dog of Louisiana. The Catahoula was named after a Parish in Northeastern Louisiana and after the mottled spots on its coat. At one time this breed was used to round up feral pigs and cattle -- livestock that had escaped, and was living in woods and swamps. It involved team effort that is highly coordinated and organized, fast paced, dangerous, and a marvel to watch. The ideal dog team usually numbers three, and they must work together. Otherwise, the one pig can kill all three in a matter of minutes. Each dog has to be aware of what the pig and the other two dogs are doing and react accordingly. Hunters sometimes used the Catahoula to trail and tree raccoons, but this dominant breed is more at home acting the thug with obstinate boars. This dog is used particularly on the difficult task of driving and rounding hogs and unruly cattle.

carolinagirl

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Be prepared to lose a lot of dogs. Hogs can easily kill most dog, which is why hunters use body armor on them when they are catching. Obviously your pack won't have that advantage so you can expect heavy losses. A hog is not going to be an easy thing for a dog to kill. I am still confused about the duty of these dogs. Are they in fenced pastures? If so....how can the hogs get in if the dogs can't get out? I know there are hog hunting forums out there....they can probably advise you about this better, since guarding livestock isn't really what you are after.

Vorax

Just born
Reaction score
Beekissed said:
http://dogs.bsl-sbt.com/dogs/bullarab.php?s=&l= Are these the same as the Bully Grey or the AB grey?

Also....

You might want to look into the Catahoula breed:

http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/images24/LouisianaCatahoulaLeopardDogBushPurebredDogs.jpg

The Louisiana Catahoula Leopard Dog is believed to have originated from Nordic Wolfhound being introduced some three to five hundred years before the Spanish arrived - However, no one will really know for sure. The state of Louisiana is cited as the point of origin, particularly the area of Catahoula. In 1979, the breed was designated the state dog of Louisiana. The Catahoula was named after a Parish in Northeastern Louisiana and after the mottled spots on its coat. At one time this breed was used to round up feral pigs and cattle -- livestock that had escaped, and was living in woods and swamps. It involved team effort that is highly coordinated and organized, fast paced, dangerous, and a marvel to watch. The ideal dog team usually numbers three, and they must work together. Otherwise, the one pig can kill all three in a matter of minutes. Each dog has to be aware of what the pig and the other two dogs are doing and react accordingly. Hunters sometimes used the Catahoula to trail and tree raccoons, but this dominant breed is more at home acting the thug with obstinate boars. This dog is used particularly on the difficult task of driving and rounding hogs and unruly cattle.
That's a profile on the Bull Arab, an Australia pure bred that has German Shorthaired Pointer in it.

Vorax

Just born
Reaction score
carolinagirl said:
Be prepared to lose a lot of dogs. Hogs can easily kill most dog, which is why hunters use body armor on them when they are catching. Obviously your pack won't have that advantage so you can expect heavy losses. A hog is not going to be an easy thing for a dog to kill. I am still confused about the duty of these dogs. Are they in fenced pastures? If so....how can the hogs get in if the dogs can't get out? I know there are hog hunting forums out there....they can probably advise you about this better, since guarding livestock isn't really what you are after.
I'm on all the hog hunting forums and they are all in Australian, none in the US. True, a dog would have hard time killing a dog, but not a pack ;) Farmland is private property where hunters are not allowed so if the dogs run into anyone they are trespassers and probably armed anyway.

secuono

Herd Master
Reaction score
That pittbullxsighthound type dog has thick legs. Maritsane & Kangaroo Dog look to have very thin legs. The others have that long, thin core, making them look rather funky, but the legs are stronger. Even the site you linked says they gave up some speed for strength.

Vorax

Just born
Reaction score
secuono said:
That pittbullxsighthound type dog has thick legs. Maritsane & Kangaroo Dog look to have very thin legs. The others have that long, thin core, making them look rather funky, but the legs are stronger. Even the site you linked says they gave up some speed for strength.
The Maritsane is actually just a Boerboel x Kangaroo Dog. Sorry don't have another picture.

Grazer

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Livestock guardian dogs have a low prey drive in general and killing hogs is for the most part not what they were bred for.
I think it's safe to say that you should look at breeds/mixes who have been bred for many years, even centuries for this type of job.
Dogs like say Black Mouth Cur, Dogo Argentino etc..

Vorax

Just born
Reaction score
Grazer said:
Livestock guardian dogs have a low prey drive in general and killing hogs is for the most part not what they were bred for.
I think it's safe to say that you should look at breeds/mixes who have been bred for many years, even centuries for this type of job.
Dogs like say Black Mouth Cur, Dogo Argentino etc..
I have looked at those but are too slow and don't have a killing bite, more of a holder. I think I found what I am looking for in Washington State called an Olympic Quattro: http://www.olympicdogs.net/post/702022967/olympic-quatros

tumblr_lkylsdreyP1qabz3n.jpg

Grazer

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
That's a good looking dog. So he's a Dane/Dogo x Kangal/Boerboel mix?
I'm sure they make terrific working dogs and they also remind me a little of a Fila Brasileiro too.
Speaking of which, I've known of some people in Turkey who have crossed Kangal with Fila's in the past and I think their crosses were pretty successful.
They could be called Bandogs, although most people would only call a mastiff/bully breed cross a Bandog.

Have you ever heard of this kennel?: http://midgardkennels.wordpress.com/raising-a-working-mastiff/
I've read many times the post of that breeder on other forums and he seems to have the type of dogs you're looking for. But anyway, that's his website..