Flea help

lcertuche

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
The only thing I might add is, up your vacuuming to at least 2 x daily. I know it's a lot of trouble but makes a huge difference.

soarwitheagles

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
You gotta do something drastic when they get so bad.

lcertuche, well, our sheep had very minimal flea issues, but we noticed in the summer if we worked with them, we were bitten on occasion. My wife does not like flea bites. So we gently mist the entire flock on their body hair, one sheep at a time with permethrin. Results: no flea or fly harrassment at all for about two months...the stuff is incredibly effective...

It is on the World Health Organization's List of Essential Medicines, the most effective and safe medicines needed in a health system.

Bossroo

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
We simply use Permethrin. I realize it is not an organic approach, but it sure is effective!

Mother Nature has been playing around with her chemistry set for eons of time. All we are doing is copying her so it is all NATURAL / ORGANIC.

Devonviolet

Herd Master
Reaction score
Our cats go out in the fenced backyard & started getting fleas almost immediately after we moved in here. We DE them multiple time during the year. The house has vinyl plank flooring, so no carpet for a breeding ground.

I like the idea for putting mothballs in the vacuum. They are toxic for fleas, but non-toxic for humans. Sorry, but I believe Febreeze is toxic for humans, as well as for fleas. :sick

Dogs & cats lick their fur. I'm wondering how safe permethrin would be for them?

Last edited:

soarwitheagles

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I wonder if it would work for dogs?

Yes, it works on dogs, but please be certain you have no cats that could contact [rub against] the dogs! Permethrin is toxic to cats!

Our cats go out in the fenced backyard & started getting fleas almost immediately after we moved in here. We DE them multiple time during the year. The house has vinyl plank flooring, so no carpet for a breeding ground.

I like the idea for putting mothballs in the vacuum. They are toxic for fleas, but non-toxic for humans. Sorry, but I believe Febreeze is toxic for humans, as well as for fleas. :sick

Dogs & cats lick their fur. I'm wondering how safe permethrin would be for them?

Please, NEVER APPLY PERMETHRIN TO CATS!!!

Pesticide-grade permethrin is toxic to cats. Many cats die after being given flea treatments intended for dogs, or by contact with dogs having recently been treated with permethrin.[25] In cats it may induce hyperexcitability, tremors, seizures, and death.[26]

Devonviolet

Herd Master
Reaction score
Yes, it works on dogs, but please be certain you have no cats that could contact [rub against] the dogs! Permethrin is toxic to cats!
Please, NEVER APPLY PERMETHRIN TO CATS!!!
Pesticide-grade permethrin is toxic to cats. Many cats die after being given flea treatments intended for dogs, or by contact with dogs having recently been treated with permethrin.[25] In cats it may induce hyperexcitability, tremors, seizures, and death.[26]
That's a good reminder, SWE. No worries. I would never use it on either my cats OR dogs.

Goat Whisperer

Herd Master
Reaction score
I use permethrin on my goats and dogs.

Used it for the chickens years ago when a breeder sold us chickens infested with mites :mad:

I'm using it my kikos right now. They are in the deep woods and are getting ticks. I mixed it to the proper concentration and put it in a spray bottle and mist them while they eat their grain.

Latest posts