Fondant??

misfitmorgan

Herd Master
Reaction score
i have seen several people talking about feeding fondant. Is this the same fondant as they use on say cakes and such? The kind of fondant people would eat(i think it tastes gross but some like it i know).

If this is the same type of fondant as cake fondant, i make my own marshmallow fondant would that work to feed the bees? Its just marshmallows, powdered sugar and a bit of water. Normal traditionally fondant is powdered sugar, water, gelatin, corn syrup, glycerin, shortening, vanilla extract, and almond extract.

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
First, do NOT feed powdered sugar to the bees... they have trouble digesting it and for some reason it's not good for them... If you'll be using sugar, use plain old granulated white cane sugar. Fondant is "bee candy" and there are certain things you don't want to mix in it (like starch and vanilla flavoring) It's for bee consumption not human. Anyway, there are lots of resources on the web. Here's a good one to start:

http://www.bamboohollow.com/fondant-recipe.php

pippomky75

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
i have seen several people talking about feeding fondant. Is this the same fondant as they use on say cakes and such? The kind of fondant people would eat(i think it tastes gross but some like it i know).

If this is the same type of fondant as cake fondant, i make my own marshmallow fondant would that work to feed the bees? Its just marshmallows, powdered sugar and a bit of water. Normal traditionally fondant is powdered sugar, water, gelatin, corn syrup, glycerin, shortening, vanilla extract, and almond extract.

I make that same fondant for cakes- you are right nasty stuff, but folks go nuts for it. Bees WOULD NOT! It contains cornstarch and gelatin and is very different than bee fondant. It would not be good for your bees and would make a nasty mess in your hive.

misfitmorgan

Herd Master
Reaction score
I make that same fondant for cakes- you are right nasty stuff, but folks go nuts for it. Bees WOULD NOT! It contains cornstarch and gelatin and is very different than bee fondant. It would not be good for your bees and would make a nasty mess in your hive.

:lol: yes i figured that out, though those pollen patties seem to make a pretty big mess on their own.

pippomky75

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
it is such a learning process isn't it? I put the patties on some parchment paper, that seems to help. I almost used wax paper, but didn't want to offend them with the inferior wax. ;):lol:

misfitmorgan

Herd Master
Reaction score
:lol::yuckyuck

I'v heard newspaper is good..yet to try it.

So my bees took off but the hive has honey according to DH....what to do what to do...

Latestarter

Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Take the honey frames and freeze them. re-install them next year with new bees. It ill give them a head start. and keep them from getting infested with wax moths.

Latestarter

Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
oh.... yeah, maybe. Check it though. properly capped honey should be just as good as honey vacuum sealed in a jar. It just doesn't go bad if sealed.

Latest posts