Gardening Thread 2021

Rabbitsbysara

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Cilantro is delicious! Rabbits love it too. It likes cold. When it gets hot it flowers which is good for bugs. I use the dried seeds, ground fresh, coriander. Is wonderful and fresh tasting. You shouldn't buy cilantro plants they have short span in heat, as soon as you transplant they will bolt. Just direct sow in succession. Pro tip plant under tomatoes and other plants. Basil as well. I planted cilantro in my garlic beds this year. I can pull up at any time.

Grizzlyhackle

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Tough to get anything done last few days. Left hip and leg sent me to the chiropractor, slow moving, ice packs and biofreeze.
Managed to get one row of red potatoes planted. Tilled another row yesterday. Rained last night, be good to plant my carrots and radishes today. It's 72 outside love to get out maybe get pepper seeds started today. Grow light and heat mat just sitting there waiting on me. Recliners calling my name....

Grizzlyhackle

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I finally found some seed potatoes today. Probably going to play with the filly this afternoon instead of planting them, but I finally got some.
Leave'em sit and let the eyes grow a couple of days, they'll keep. I went ahead planted my second row of reds. Short row of carrots and radishes also.
Started 4 ,6 packs of jalapeno, 1 of serrano's, 1 of the super chili. Grow mats reading 80 degrees.
Started some arugula and dandelion out in my little greenhouse. Need some biofreeze, but the pain reminds me I'm still here. :old That's about how I feel today.

Rabbitsbysara

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I had my daughter pick a huge bag of dandelion at the community garden today. For the bunnies of course! I planted out my cabbage, broccoli, cauliflower, Kale, collards, lettuce, parsley. Oh and strawberries, blackberries, and gooseberries. Planted potatoes almost 2 weeks ago. Hope it stays warm. Alot of seeds didn't come up, it has been very dry. Even with the little rain we had the past two the soil is still dry.

Alaskan

Herd Master
Reaction score
I never could get myself or anyone else in the family excited about gooseberries... such a shame, they grow well up here.

Alaskan

Herd Master
Reaction score
OK brilliant peeps,

Remember I planted a bunch of mystery seeds, then in addition, the dog walked over some labeled seedlings and knocked the markers about... And... there are a few things that I knew, but forgot to mark when I planted.... :rolleyes: so now I have a BUNCH of things I am unsure of.

What is this seedling going to be? Any guesses? A bunch of this sprouted... so whatever it is has great viability.

20210412_133619.jpg
20210412_133558.jpg

Larsen Poultry Ranch

Herd Master
Reaction score
Do you still have the seed packets? Maybe use search engine to look for seedling + 'plant type' to narrow down your options? Or you might have to wait until the true leaves grow in, those look like seed/baby leaves to me.

Alaskan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Do you still have the seed packets? Maybe use search engine to look for seedling + 'plant type' to narrow down your options? Or you might have to wait until the true leaves grow in, those look like seed/baby leaves to me.
Yes, they are the seed leaves... but some babies are easy to recognize.

Like the peas and the tomatoes... I have those down.

And... hummmmm... i do still have seed packets, BUT, a bunch of mystery seeds were simply in the bottom of the seed tin, so could be almost anything.