Gardening Thread 2021

Larsen Poultry Ranch

Herd Master
Reaction score
Anyone else go into the store and see the seed displays and HAVE to look despite knowing you have too many seeds already and you don't need more... And then buy more anyway... Snagged a 72 cell starter kit, thought it was $10 but turned out to be only $5, shoulda grabbed another one. And more seeds, that I am 98% sure I already have at home.

Going to try to start lettuce tonight! My brother grew lettuce last year but only one maybe two types, his salads were very boring. Going to try to see if I can get a good mix going for him so he has more variety.

Alaskan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Those look like beets or broc or chard or cabbage or cauliflower collards mustard turnips or Kale. Lol any help?
You will just have to wait a little longer to see what they are lol. Surprise seedlings!
:lol:

That actually narrows it down!

Most likely beets then... low chance of cabbage, cauliflower or broccoli.

It has been forever since I had turnip seeds, so probably not, never in my life planted Kale... but now that I am older I finally like the stuff... so I should, it loves the climate here.

Almost positive that I never had mustard or collards... but wait.... I did do mustard sprouts for a few years, had loads of seeds to keep a constant yield of sprouts....

Ok... beets or mustard, most likely. ;)

That helps a bunch!

Grizzlyhackle

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
0413211725.jpg
See all that taller stuff. That's from a seed packet from Johnnys in Maine called cheap frills. I'm not sure what any of it is but sharp and bitter is about the flavor. The shorter on the right is arugula.Thats tomorrow's lunch with olive oil and Roma tomato.

Grizzlyhackle

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
0413211725b.jpg

Tall stuff is what's left of last years italian dandelion. Little green in the front is dandelion I planted in late March. Its kinda bitter but I like it. When it bolts my rabbits tear it up.
Y'all talking about kale. I wouldn't eat it until 3 years ago I tried it raw. Old folks always cooked it with grease and boiled till it looked like seaweed and to me was terrible. Then they'd soak it with vinegar....oh its nasty to me. Turnip greens same way. I'd just as well eat grass along a ditchbank.

CLSranch

Herd Master
Reaction score
Leave'em sit and let the eyes grow a couple of days, they'll keep. I went ahead planted my second row of reds. Short row of carrots and radishes also.
Oh I let them set and could barely get the red's out of the bag. Most of them had 2 eyes over 6" long. The Kennebec not as bad but I could see a lot of eyes when I bought the bag. I need longer rows to cut them and get full use out of them. I got 2 tubs and going to make 2 more out of old lick tubs to plant more in.
I got a lot of the hay & manure from last years round bales piled in a spot in the garden. I didn't count but about 4-5 tractor buckets full for composting/mulching and hilling the taters and maters when they get in the ground.

Rabbitsbysara

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
View attachment 84104

Tall stuff is what's left of last years italian dandelion. Little green in the front is dandelion I planted in late March. Its kinda bitter but I like it. When it bolts my rabbits tear it up.
Y'all talking about kale. I wouldn't eat it until 3 years ago I tried it raw. Old folks always cooked it with grease and boiled till it looked like seaweed and to me was terrible. Then they'd soak it with vinegar....oh its nasty to me. Turnip greens same way. I'd just as well eat grass along a ditchbank.
That is mizuna which is a mustard. Kale is delicious in juice. My favorite way to consume. Also dehydrated as chips. I put some Kale sprouts from my over wintered Kale in my lentil soup I made the other day, was yummy. Dandelion is bitter. Turnip greens are only good mixed with other greens with smoked turkey! But rabbits love it all!
Hope my potatoes do good this year, I spent 70.00 on 15lbs of seed potatoes! Gave half to my dad. He made a wire tower and layer it with straw and Soil and potatoes. Shame his will probably be better than mine! I will hill mine with straw/rabbit manure.

Latest posts