Great updates @Baymule

My greenhouse
20210725_145656.jpg

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Ok..... I am stuck....

What is the deal with stale cornbread?
The old cookbook I was using said to use stale cornbread to make the dressing. As in LEFTOVER cornbread. The cookbook came from a time when housewives made corn bread for almost every meal. It was cheap and filling. Thus they would have leftovers to go stale. Not to waste it, use it to make the dressing.

Being young and inexperienced, I thought I had to use stale cornbread like the recipe said.

Alaskan

Herd Master
Reaction score
The old cookbook I was using said to use stale cornbread to make the dressing. As in LEFTOVER cornbread. The cookbook came from a time when housewives made corn bread for almost every meal. It was cheap and filling. Thus they would have leftovers to go stale. Not to waste it, use it to make the dressing.

Being young and inexperienced, I thought I had to use stale cornbread like the recipe said.
Ah! Thanks.

And yes. I grew up with cornbread, spoonbread, corn meal everything.

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
Back in the day, corn was grown as a staple. You ate fresh, canned, and fed all else as dried or meal to animals and people alike! Many of the old flint and dent corns are tasty, even tho not as sweet or tender, as today's varieties of sweet.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I grew up on yellow dent corn. My grandpa raised corn for the cows, he picked it dry, shucked it, then had it ground with the cob too. Stored in barrels, he doled it out to his cows in the winter.

I’ve got 4 pints of green beans in the canner. This will make 30 jars total, so far. My goal is 60. Hope I make it before heat and grasshoppers take it away.

Grizzlyhackle

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I grew up on yellow dent corn. My grandpa raised corn for the cows, he picked it dry, shucked it, then had it ground with the cob too. Stored in barrels, he doled it out to his cows in the winter.

I’ve got 4 pints of green beans in the canner. This will make 30 jars total, so far. My goal is 60. Hope I make it before heat and grasshoppers take it away.
I've eaten it years ago, Mom would add sugar to the pot. I didn't know there was a difference until I had silver queen. Growing up I was told it was too much a bother for too little return in a garden.
@Alaskan I am jealous of your greenhouse. Mine is Harbor Freight, it's a potting shed at best good for starting stuff, wasps and birds.
IMG_20210731_103353289.jpg
That pitiful ziplock bag is the second picking of green beans.
2 weeks ago I had 6 or 7 and gave them to my rabbits.