Gardening Thread 2021

R2elk

Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
@R2elk these beautiful, overgrow beets...still nice all the way thru? Not wanting that size but, love I could get some oversized that stay firm...not woody, etc.
The beets are firm and sweet the whole way through. I have not had beets get woody inside. The bigger they are the longer it takes to cook them. I just did all but the big one. Ended up with 24 quarts of pickled beets. It took a lot of extra cutting to get them all into normal size pieces for canning. The biggest one that I did do filled one and a half quarts all by itself.

Marie2020

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Would anyone know if we can get hold of chemical free straw.
I'm in the UK and it's for my chickens. With all the searching I've done today it's like searching for a needle or strand of straw in a haystack

Last edited:

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
Would anyone know if we can get hold of chemical free straw.
Stateside it's hard to come by. Have you considered hay? I can find that organically grown easier than the straw. And I have used my own grass clippings for my chickens as I don't use chemicals.

I do have a farmer near me who raises barley chem free and bale's that straw. Won't help YOU at all...but has sure made me happy! 😁 maybe a small, private farm over there has something similar.

Marie2020

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Stateside it's hard to come by. Have you considered hay? I can find that organically grown easier than the straw. And I have used my own grass clippings for my chickens as I don't use chemicals.

I do have a farmer near me who raises barley chem free and bale's that straw. Won't help YOU at all...but has sure made me happy! 😁 maybe a small, private farm over there has something similar.
I'm pleased to say that I found straw that is chemically free. It was delivered today. I called the provider and they sent me a text to confirm, it's right from a field that had never been sprayed :)

Grizzlyhackle

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
IMG_20211024_175519.jpg
Picked these just before dark.

Alaskan

Herd Master
Reaction score
View attachment 88046
All those pretty yellow flowers turn into these hairy ugly seed pods.
View attachment 88047
All those hairs are just like cactus spines.
Thought I was smart and would cut them off with scissors. :he
Yes I should have put the leather gloves on sooner.:hu
I swear there's at least one stuck in my thumb but I can't see it.:hit
:ep

So I take it not edible? It is in fact a horrid invasive weed?

:hugs