Gardner’s California Homestead

Jesusfreak101

Herd Master
Reaction score
I agree. That's my goal as well. I very behind on my garden but late last year and early this year we were discussing moving so planting was out on the off chance we moved. Now we staying so i am playing catch up on the garden and probably will buy some plants to get us started. I did learn that some trees need to be grafted to produce really well. From what I seen of that you take a clipping from another tree then you cut in to the tree your grafting then wrap it too the tree and let it heal/grow together. I been looking at doing it for apple tree some are apparently self pollinating and others need a different species to pollinate. Green apples self pollinate i can't remember if Fuji apples are or not.

GardnerHomestead

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I agree. That's my goal as well. I very behind on my garden but late last year and early this year we were discussing moving so planting was out on the off chance we moved. Now we staying so i am playing catch up on the garden and probably will buy some plants to get us started. I did learn that some trees need to be grafted to produce really well. From what I seen of that you take a clipping from another tree then you cut in to the tree your grafting then wrap it too the tree and let it heal/grow together. I been looking at doing it for apple tree some are apparently self pollinating and others need a different species to pollinate. Green apples self pollinate i can't remember if Fuji apples are or not.
I’ve seen grafting done in nursery’s and it’s amazing. Supposedly all the ones I bought were self pollinating. Where we live we put seeds in the ground for most things around Mother’s Day. So we still have some time. Only things I usually start inside are tomatoes and peppers. My dad’s starting our peppers and tomatoes inside this year since we have had to much going on. When do you put plants in the ground where you are?

GardnerHomestead

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Went to whether my little buckling that is going to his new home next week, and I'm pretty sure he has a cryptorchid. 🤦‍♀️ I had to go to work so tonight i will go back down there to make sure and see if i can feel it in his stomach. If he is, do i just band the remaining testicle and inform the new owner of his condition in case they don't want him? What are the chances he is fertile still? He doesnt act bucky like his half brother, and hes just the sweetest. This is my first group of babies and of course this would happen lol.

Duckfarmerpa1

Herd Master
Reaction score
I would definitely inform the buyer!! And, how old is he? Perhaps you can tell the new owner to bring him back in awhile , after the other drops, and you can band him then? If they are far away, perhaps they know someone that can do it? But, yes, he can still ...be fertile with one testicle. I’ve heard of many people who accidentally only band one, and later, they have a doe who turns up pregnant. I could be wrong the being fertile, but...that is what I was told by a different forum To watch out for.

GardnerHomestead

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I would definitely inform the buyer!! And, how old is he? Perhaps you can tell the new owner to bring him back in awhile , after the other drops, and you can band him then? If they are far away, perhaps they know someone that can do it? But, yes, he can still ...be fertile with one testicle. I’ve heard of many people who accidentally only band one, and later, they have a doe who turns up pregnant. I could be wrong the being fertile, but...that is what I was told by a different forum To watch out for.
He is 8 weeks old, nigerian dwarf, the other buckling I have is a day older than him, both his balls are there. So I'm thinking if they were gonna drop they would of by now? But i could be wrong about that. That would be best case scenario if its just hanging out in the belly and will eventually fall. I let her know about it and I told her he could start acting bucky, shes gonna think about it but he will be living with two other whethers, no does. So i will go from there with what she decides. Thank you for your input!

GardnerHomestead

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
If you band one testicle and one is retained in the abdomen he should not be fertile. However, he could still act buck-y and annoy the he// out of your does, lol!
Thank you! I considered that as well, he will be with other whethers but idk if he will then just bug the heck out of them as well.

GardnerHomestead

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
It’s wet, wet, wet. I tried to get the weed barrier installed in our new garden today after work but it’s just a mud pit out there so I’m not gonna mess with it til it dries out a bit. All our goat babies and one doe are going to their new homes this weekend. 🙁 so we will be down to 4 does and a buck. More manageable. But I will miss them. Cleaned the meat chickens pen. They are getting so big. Easter weekend is butcher day. Going to start some veggies inside Tommorow. Already have our flowers for our bee garden started. Very excited for that this year.

Attachments

• 8CF4D679-2BB6-4A53-A097-BE86D66DA805.jpeg
    8CF4D679-2BB6-4A53-A097-BE86D66DA805.jpeg
    286.5 KB · Views: 165
  • 07658A55-9719-4B05-82EB-A179F32F9E6B.jpeg
    07658A55-9719-4B05-82EB-A179F32F9E6B.jpeg
    236.9 KB · Views: 174
  • 031A22D9-B396-4A80-8D22-FD67FAD010B8.jpeg
    031A22D9-B396-4A80-8D22-FD67FAD010B8.jpeg
    266.4 KB · Views: 157

GardnerHomestead

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Saturday, my 4 kids (the goat variety) went to their new owners, including my bottle babies that we enjoyed so much. They went to great people so thats good but when i got home everything was so quiet. I cleaned out their old pen and started shampooing carpets inside the house. I hear someone yelling by the barn so i go out to the porch my BIL is standing by the barn telling me to come down. I ran down there to find our FF doe Fudge had given birth and was cleaning off a single buckling. She was due 3/26 but i can never seem to get the day right, ive been wrong on every single birth lol. I watched her carefully as we had a problem with our other doe rejecting her babies. Fudge did amazing, she is such a good mom, what a relief. Saw him eat and moved her to the bonding pen.

He seems to only be eating on one side so we put her on the milk stand yesterday to relieve the other side, it was so full and hard, poor mama. Shes more comfortable now, i guess ill monitor to make sure hes nursing from both teats or express that side as needed. This is the first single we have had so new territory. Heres Clove:

6.jpg
8.jpg