Goat and newborns breathing fast

Keeper of insanity

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
@Ridgetop @Baymule @Mini Horses @Youngfarmer2019
Ok, I need help again. Rainy and her babies started breathing fast this afternoon. Kinda like they’re hot. I gave Rainy some electrolyte water this morning. Fresh water this evening.
Temps are:
Boy 102.6
Girl 103.4
Rainy 102.4

The girl had just nursed, I don’t know if that makes a difference in temp. The shed is warm. But not too warm. And it’s mostly concentrated in the center. So they can move to a less warm area. The kids are playing, nursing and then occasionally resting. Rainy is mostly resting or nursing them. She’s ate her food, drank some of her electrolytes this morning (about a quart in 10hrs)
I should have recorded them earlier but I was taking temps and forgot…heading out now to record. BRB

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
Temps are in the normal range.

If they are eating and drinking and active...

Maybe just reduce the heat you are providing?

Alaskan has it. If you are using a heat lamb, maybe turn it off during the warmest art of the day and turn it in at night. If the kids get cold they will sleep under the heat lamp. If warm they will move aay from it to sleep. As long as they are nursing well and mama is milking, no worries. :hugs

Keeper of insanity

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
@Alaskan ok🙏 They are doing all of that. Well the kids are. Mom isn’t overly active, but she’s eating and drinking and taking care of the kids.
I will move heat around a bit and see what happens.

Temps in shed are 78-82 in the warm spot and 62-75 in other areas.

Youngfarmer2019

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
@Alaskan ok🙏 They are doing all of that. Well the kids are. Mom isn’t overly active, but she’s eating and drinking and taking care of the kids.
I will move heat around a bit and see what happens.

Temps in shed are 78-82 in the warm spot and 62-75 in other areas.
She DID just give birth. Probably why she’s not moving much, her temp and babies temps should be fine like @Alaskan said. Just take away heat lamp, I know I know, I’m repeating everything everyone else said but one thing I have learned by now is that repetition equal’s importance, good luck buddy, hang in there and get some rest, your poor nerves have been thru a lot.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I have never used a heat lamp in 8 years of having sheep. In February of 2021, when SNOWMEGGDON hit Texas, I had 15 brand new lambs on the ground and temperatures plunged to -6F. My “barn” was a roof off the side of a portable building, so 3 sides open. I put cardboard on one side to block the wind and they all did fine. I used up a lot of hay, deep bedding every night, but sheep, lambs and dogs all stayed snuggly warm.

That’s another reason I don’t fool with goats. My sheep are tough and don’t need all that coddling. I’ve never pulled a lamb.

This was their “barn” , built for heat, not cold.

7B5C2D32-4DB1-40CB-919A-79CB13278248.jpeg

These lambs were 2 weeks old.

4E1FB707-E210-4FF6-AD50-2683C7659D2E.jpeg

This poor little thing was born during the storm. I cut off a sweater sleeve for her. I checked her mouth often, it was always warm. I stuffed her in my sweat hoodie, under my Carhart jacket while I did chores to warm her up. LOL She looked like a cold Chihuahua dog.

099A3F64-103C-43D3-8790-399B9D2FC8F8.jpeg

I know I have a better winter climate than most, and many need that heat lamp for newborns or they would freeze on hitting the ground. Not knocking anybody for using heat lamps, in many instances they are needed. I caught a lot of flack from friends, family and neighbors during that storm for not putting heat lamps in the barn and for not bringing my dogs in at night. Uhhhh…. A big NO on that one! Bobcats were out and I wouldn’t have had a lamb left.

@Keeper of insanity I posted this, not to criticize, but to show you that our animals can handle a lot more than we give them credit for. YOU have to do what is BEST for your animals in your situation.

We had 3 ice storm and 10” of snow. I’ve never experienced minus degrees and hope I never do again.

Attachments

• 099A3F64-103C-43D3-8790-399B9D2FC8F8.jpeg
    099A3F64-103C-43D3-8790-399B9D2FC8F8.jpeg
    702.5 KB · Views: 65

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
Goats are tougher than you think. Ditch that heat lamp! After first 36 hrs, bedding and mom, in shelter and you're good. 😁

I often walk my barn/sheds at night. The difference in temps from a few does body heat is amazing.

Keeper of insanity

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
So, here’s my game plan. I’m going to take one heat lamp away today while it’s 40’s and then see how they do in 20’s tonight. And take the other one tomorrow. I have plenty of hay. I go in daily and take out the top thin layer where the poo is and lay down a little bit more than I took up. I’ve been doing that for almost 8 weeks…I only put the heat lamp out when the temps dropped to singles with wind chill in the negative. But then didn’t bring it back because they (Rusty and Rainy) seemed to enjoy snuggling under it. I don’t have one with the chickens, they have the same bedding technique. But I’ve been in their coop in the cold at night and they were generating some heat. 😄

I don’t want to take both lamps away at once for fear of shock🤷🏼‍♀️🤷🏼‍♀️

This morning their breathing was normal. Last night I moved one heat lamp 4 ft away to another part of the shed.🤷🏼‍♀️

Also, while I’m here, the kids have chosen one teat they like🤦🏼‍♀️🤦🏼‍♀️ the other side was warm and engorged. I milked 6oz from that side…she eventually got tired of me being there and kept kicking and leaving…I could hold her still but didn’t want to stress her🤷🏼‍♀️ what can I do to encourage them to use both sides?