Goat Diet

Devonviolet

Herd Master
Reaction score
Firstly, :frow Welcome to Backyard Herds. :frow

Southern has given you some awesome advice. Keep track of these posts when you get closer to buying your goats. As she said, you don’t need a buck right now. If you are buying just weaned doelings, it will be at least 9 month to a year, before you breed them. Waiting to breed until they are yearlings, is best.

As far as treats go, we don’t give any of the “people food” treats, that somee give. Our goats are absolutely thrilled when I walk over to the apple tree and pull some apple leaves off the tree. They LOVE apple leaves for treats. I tried peach and apricot leaves and they weren’t interested. It HAS to be apple leaves. :lol:

Last edited:

Ember Kinsch

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Apple tree leaves? Well, we don't have any apple trees, but plenty of hedge apple trees...

How much does a 1+ year old nubian doe cost?

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
That will vary by region and by pedigree/quality.
Also if the doe is a yearling milker or a dry yearling.

Some breeders may sell a yearling milker if they don't feel the udder is what they are looking for. Those who show goats have to be very selective and will keep only the top does in their program. Sometimes it is the dairy strength that may be lacking, or the topline or width etc. The goat may still be a really nice goat but is better placed as a family milker.

I'd say Registered start around $300 and go up.

Following your vet's advice is not making excuses.
My vet doesn't test his goats for CL, so I don't test mine either.

You have a bad habit of saying people are wrong that do not do everything you do.

Any many vets do test and many people test. Not all vets agree with each other and not all people agree with each other.
You use to test and now you don't- your choice.
It isn't about what I do it is about at letting people know these diseases are out there, research for themselves so they can decide.
In the end the person that owns the goats is affected. Look how many people on this forum have lost whole herds to Johnes, had CL, and CAE.
As far as G6S- many don't know about it and if a person is brand new or looking at goats at least they can educate themselves about it.

OneFineAcre

Herd Master
Reaction score
I

Some breeders may sell a yearling milker if they don't feel the udder is what they are looking for. Those who show goats have to be very selective and will keep only the top does in their program. Sometimes it is the dairy strength that may be lacking, or the topline or width etc. The goat may still be a really nice goat but is better placed as a family milker.

Any many vets do test and many people test. Not all vets agree with each other and not all people agree with each other.
It isn't about what I do it is about at letting people know these diseases are out there, research for themselves so they can decide.
In the end the person that owns the goats is affected. Look how many people on this forum have lost whole herds to Johnes, had CL, and CAE.
As far as G6S- many don't know about it and if a person is brand new or looking at goats at least they can educate themselves about it.

I've never tested for CL. And I do test for CAE and Johnnes.
You said that people who don't test for CL and Johnnes are "making excuses".
Saying someone doesn't do the same testing that you do is "making excuses" is saying that they are wrong and you are right.

OneFineAcre

Herd Master
Reaction score

That's a lot different than your initial statement that people who don't test for CL and Johnnes are "making excuses"

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
That's a lot different than your initial statement that people who don't test for CL and Johnnes are "making excuses"

Many do make excuses. Hear it all the time. Like oh it is too expensive to test for CAE, hmmm $1.65 is never too expensive.
CAE and CL are both manageable issues but Johnes... nope. No test is perfect.

This is my advice, clearly yours is different. So what. I recommend what I do (testing) because I see the devastation from these things. Helping rebuild after devastation because they either never heard about testing or was told the testing was not reliable has allowed me to see the emotional and financial aspect. Sitting on the other end of the phone and hearing the grief and sadness. IMO all we can do is what we can do and make the best decisions we can.

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
10999561_959620440757046_720681916941304152_n - Copy.jpg

Ember Kinsch

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score

Thank you that is very helpful.

Latest posts