goat500

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
can someone please post some pics of there goat barns or pens

DonnaBelle

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
967_100_1133.jpg
This is the doe barn, with 4 inside stalls and large loafing area. My goats each have their own feeder and are chained while they eat.

Can you see the slight overhang from the "garage door side' to the lower side? That's open, with l/2 inch square "hardware" cloth so no predators or birds can get in there. Makes for great ventilation.

967_100_1020.jpg
Buck barn, can be separated into two areas with each having a pen.

967_100_1021.jpg
Frontal view of doe barn, side loafing area has garage doors on each end for daytime ventilation. I have a large fan to move air.

Both these barns are made of recycled "insurance claim" metal. DH tore down a couple old buildings here on the ranch and salvaged the lumber, some of it was cypress, that's what he made the inside stall doors with. All this is just about 75 ft. behind our house. I can keep an eye on the whole thing from my kitchen window. We also have a large chicken house made with recycled materials.

Remember ventilate, ventilate, ventilate.

DonnaBelle

bjjohns

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Probably not what you are looking for, but my Meat goats get a portable shade for the rotational grazing set-up. The dairy goats have a 3-sided run in shade. We have a 20'x50' combo hay shelter/milking shelter that is made from hoops and a "billboard" tarp.

Here is the portable shade:
7104_portableshade.jpg

Goatherd

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
P1010982.jpg

This is the side view of my goat's pasture shed. They go into another barn for evening sleep.

P1010980.jpg

Hay rack...one in each room.

P1010981.jpg

Two rooms...one smaller for 2 alpaca and larger for goats. Rooms divided by 3/4 wall. Door on each end for access and ventilation.

Shed is made from rough-cut hemlock, pressure treated base and steel roof.

20kidsonhill

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Goatherd that is just showing off. :D

bjjohns that is a good idea for rotational grazing, we use Polydome nursery calf huts. They work well but are a little pricey.

Our main shelter is a pole barn with a dirt floor for kidding season and the creepfeed area is inside it.

then we use the large polydome calf huts out in the field for animals that don't have access to the barn.Also use feed bin ring halves and line them up in a tunnel.

We also have some side pens along side an overhang on our barn.

this is some of the polydomes and feed bin rings, but this picture was taken after a storm and a tree fell on it. We were able to pop out the dents and the polydom is in pretty good shape still
3140_summer_2012_storm3.jpg

3140_out_playing.jpg

Our creep feed area in the main barn
3140_april_112.jpg

3140_april_1113.jpg

Our main barn. the blue thing is a sheep mineral feeder. This picture also shows some of our grain feeders. I really like this design. We have found the 5 foot feeders are a pretty good manageable length. Heavy enough that the goats don't move them around too much, they can't tip them over, but they are still light enough that one person can move them around. The top is to keep them from standing in them and also helps slow down head butting from some of the bossier does.
3140_i_am_feeling_like_a_beachball_indie.jpg

Side of the barn where the overhang is, We have 4 pens and we store our hay, The cattle panels do have 4x4 or hog panels attached to them, because the goats will get out of the cattle panels.
3140_side_of_barn.jpg

Inside of the barn prior to kidding,Everything is portable and can be taken out of the barn so all we have to do is drive the tractor in to clean out. Normally we clean out the barn everyother year. We do deep bedding for the winter.
Blue barrells have heat lamps in them for newborn kids.
3140_set_up_barn_8.jpg

3140_set_up_barn_5.jpg

3140_set_up_barn_6.jpg

Heat lamp barell in use
3140_021.jpg

Catahoula

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
5675_p1010425.jpg

Mine is simple...just a small shelter. Their food and water are inside but also a partisan for sleep area.

20kidsonhill

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
catahoula what is your shelter made out of? Looks like silo bin rings, but I am thinking it could be a purchased kit or fencing bent around and covered with a canvas.

ksj0225

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
bbjohns, what are the dimensions or your portable shelter? Any suggestion for building one.

20, the feed bin rings are they from a grain silo?

20kidsonhill

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
ksj0225 said:
bbjohns, what are the dimensions or your portable shelter? Any suggestion for building one.

20, the feed bin rings are they from a grain silo?
yes, but purchased new, not from an old one taken down.

Latest posts