Goat mineral issue

greybeard

Herd Master
Reaction score
I came across Ragland from one of the carousel advertisements on BYH. So thought it was a house hold name for most people.
It is.... For almost all livestock people. They had a mill in San Angelo, but I think it was sold to another company since I left there. AFAIK, the Ragland mill in Paris Tx is still making their lick tubs and wrapped blocks. Main mill and office is in Mo or Kansas.

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
Could you order a copper bolus and have it sent to you? My goats don't waste their minerals like they do other feed, I use a pipe feeder and they can't really spill it.

View attachment 52595

Goat Mania

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Could you order a copper bolus and have it sent to you? My goats don't waste their minerals like they do other feed, I use a pipe feeder and they can't really spill it.

View attachment 52595

I'm trying to get friends over there to buy and send me some. I can't see the attachment. It doesn't download.

It is.... For almost all livestock people. They had a mill in San Angelo, but I think it was sold to another company since I left there. AFAIK, the Ragland mill in Paris Tx is still making their lick tubs and wrapped blocks. Main mill and office is in Mo or Kansas.

I see.

misfitmorgan

Herd Master
Reaction score
We give our goats and sheep a sheep loose mineral, then give our goats copper bolus.

This is the mineral we have been using, with really good results.
https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/dumor-sheep-mineral-50-lb?cm_vc=-10005

We tried two other brands including a sweet lixs but our goats just did not like it, not sure why. This brand they have eaten about 30lbs in a month, which is a lot I think for 13 goats/sheep but they all look nice and have shiny coats and new wool. We also feed it free choice.

How many goats do you have? Are they milk goats or meat goats?

Goat Mania

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
We give our goats and sheep a sheep loose mineral, then give our goats copper bolus.

This is the mineral we have been using, with really good results.
https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/dumor-sheep-mineral-50-lb?cm_vc=-10005

We tried two other brands including a sweet lixs but our goats just did not like it, not sure why. This brand they have eaten about 30lbs in a month, which is a lot I think for 13 goats/sheep but they all look nice and have shiny coats and new wool. We also feed it free choice.

How many goats do you have? Are they milk goats or meat goats?

I have about 50 goats. Both milk and meat. We do not have good genetics here. The maximum a good milker would produce is 3kg and they are rare. Most don't go beyond 1.5kg a day. I'm talking Saanen here. Bad nutrition, inbreeding etc have taken its toll.

I have some pictures and videos on my FB page if you want to see some of them : https://www.facebook.com/munawwarahfarmssrilanka/

I'm trying to salvage whatever good genetics I can find and work on proper nutrition. We do not have goat feed here. Or minerals for goats. So it's an uphill task

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
upload_2018-9-24_20-33-20.jpeg

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
Can you order from places like Amazon or Jefferspet.com? Or maybe places out of Australia?

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
You have some cute kids on your FB page. Your goats look happy and healthy so that counts for a lot. I have no idea what your climate is or how much land you have but look at a plant called Tree Lucerne, also known as Tagasaste. It is a perennial tree that can be grown for browse for livestock and very high in protein; like alfalfa on a tree. They grow it in South Africa and also here in the US.

misfitmorgan

Herd Master
Reaction score
You have some cute kids on your FB page. Your goats look happy and healthy so that counts for a lot. I have no idea what your climate is or how much land you have but look at a plant called Tree Lucerne, also known as Tagasaste. It is a perennial tree that can be grown for browse for livestock and very high in protein; like alfalfa on a tree. They grow it in South Africa and also here in the US.

They are in Sri Lanka Babs

misfitmorgan

Herd Master
Reaction score
I have about 50 goats. Both milk and meat. We do not have good genetics here. The maximum a good milker would produce is 3kg and they are rare. Most don't go beyond 1.5kg a day. I'm talking Saanen here. Bad nutrition, inbreeding etc have taken its toll.

I have some pictures and videos on my FB page if you want to see some of them : https://www.facebook.com/munawwarahfarmssrilanka/

I'm trying to salvage whatever good genetics I can find and work on proper nutrition. We do not have goat feed here. Or minerals for goats. So it's an uphill task

Nice goats! Do you ever feed your goats tararind? It has good copper in it.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tamarind

I also found this, don't know if you have seen it before. It lists lots of good plants for goats in Sri Lanka, there might be some you can feed to help boost some minerals.
https://pdfs.semanticscholar.org/3035/bd8aa40878f54b9200ddd32b7855a3aa859b.pdf

From the tiny bit of information I can find Colombo Forages does make goat and sheep minerals. Any chance you can find that near you?