Goat shelter

TXMissy

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
It's working out well so far. The metal gets hot in the sun so would probably be better positioned in the shade. They only need to go in at night and when it's raining so I'm not too worried about it at the moment. It's 6 ft wide and 8 ft long. I am lacking carpentry skills, but it looks like it'd be fairly simple to build. If I remember correctly, the guy who built it said that Lowes even cut the metal for him.
Yeah, i ambit sure my husband will be thrilled about the tin. I don't know where you are but I am in TX and it gets hot here...fast. August is the worst though this year it has been mild. We could easily use plywood instead of tin along the sides. It looks really nice. I am more concerned with the wet cold winters.

BarnOwl

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Yeah, i ambit sure my husband will be thrilled about the tin. I don't know where you are but I am in TX and it gets hot here...fast. August is the worst though this year it has been mild. We could easily use plywood instead of tin along the sides. It looks really nice. I am more concerned with the wet cold winters.
We are in Tennessee. Summers are hot and HUMID, though maybe not as hot as Texas. We get a lot of rain, though winters are relatively mild--can be cold, but hardly any snow. I never even unpacked my winter clothes from when I lived further up north.

TXMissy

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
We are in Tennessee. Summers are hot and HUMID, though maybe not as hot as Texas. We get a lot of rain, though winters are relatively mild--can be cold, but hardly any snow. I never even unpacked my winter clothes from when I lived further up north.
Yeah Tennessee gets colder than TX. I hate being cold 🥶 but I bet the snow is beautiful. We have hot and humid weather too. Normally over 100 this time of year. I saw one of your posts about your new dwarf babies! Are you going to breed goats? Are they pets, meat or milk? Mine are just pets... I call them my therapy goats because they make me laugh and are so fun. They are Nigerian Dwarf/ Myotonic goats. No fainting has happened yet. A part of me wants to scare them and see if they faint but the other part of me would feel bad. 😆

TXMissy

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
My dramatic girl, Buttercup. She is so great.

Attachments

• 20210818_172357.jpg
    20210818_172357.jpg
    350.4 KB · Views: 267

TXMissy

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I noticed your pic was of pigs. Do you have pigs? I love them. Pigs are so super smart and highly under-rated.

BarnOwl

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Yeah Tennessee gets colder than TX. I hate being cold 🥶 but I bet the snow is beautiful. We have hot and humid weather too. Normally over 100 this time of year. I saw one of your posts about your new dwarf babies! Are you going to breed goats? Are they pets, meat or milk? Mine are just pets... I call them my therapy goats because they make me laugh and are so fun. They are Nigerian Dwarf/ Myotonic goats. No fainting has happened yet. A part of me wants to scare them and see if they faint but the other part of me would feel bad. 😆
Yeah, we have 3 Nigerian Dwarf doelings. The plan is to milk them eventually, and I'll have to breed them to get milk, of course. I am not sure if I will have the fortitude to milk daily (or twice daily) in addition to all my other work, family, and animal chores...so if the dairy aspect doesn't work out, they will just be pets. They are a lot of fun!

Buttercup is adorable! She looks like she has so much personality. I really like myotonic goats. They were near the top of my list until I decided I wanted to go with a dairy breed.

BarnOwl

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I noticed your pic was of pigs. Do you have pigs? I love them. Pigs are so super smart and highly under-rated.
Right now we have two American Guinea Hogs, a smallish heritage pig breed. We like them. They are known for being hardy and gentle. We have a family memeber who breeds them and we bought a few feeder pigs last year.

TXMissy

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Right now we have two American Guinea Hogs, a smallish heritage pig breed. We like them. They are known for being hardy and gentle. We have a family memeber who breeds them and we bought a few feeder pigs last year.
I have never had "commercial" hogs. I volunteered at a place that took in some FFA hogs that the kids could not bare to have slaughtered. They were awesome. I have owned pot belly pigs as pets. They are my favorite so far. I cannot have them for some reason in my current location. I was not happy when I found that out. That is how I ended up with goats.

Attachments

• received_1366913850389750.jpeg
    received_1366913850389750.jpeg
    281.9 KB · Views: 256

BarnOwl

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I have never had "commercial" hogs. I volunteered at a place that took in some FFA hogs that the kids could not bare to have slaughtered. They were awesome. I have owned pot belly pigs as pets. They are my favorite so far. I cannot have them for some reason in my current location. I was not happy when I found that out. That is how I ended up with goats.
Oh my goodness! She (he?) is too cute!

Ours aren't really pets, but Lovely (the bigger one lying down in this photo) will let me pet her tummy. They look awful in this photo...they had been bathing in their wallow to get out of the heat. When it rains or if I hose them off, they look much better.

The old barn is blocked off into different areas inside and was originally where we were going to put the goats, and we installed about an acre of goat fencing bordering the pig's pen. But the goats looked so tiny when we brought them home that we are just keeping them in our fenced backyard for now. It's nice having them a little closer.

1629374718997.png

Last edited:

TXMissy

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Oh my goodness! She (he?) is too cute!

Ours aren't really pets, but Lovely (the bigger one lying down in this photo) will let me pet her tummy. They look awful in this photo...they had been bathing in their wallow to get out of the heat. When it rains or if I hose them off, they look much better.

The old barn is blocked off into different areas inside and was originally where we were going to put the goats, and we installed about an acre of goat fencing bordering the pig's pen. But the goats looked so tiny when we brought them home that we are just keeping them in our fenced backyard for now. It's nice having them a little closer.

View attachment 87389
They are so cute! People think pigs are dirty..I am not sure where that came from. They roll in the mud to stay cool and to keep from burning since they don't sweat(I am sure you know that). They will poop in a separate area from where they eat and sleep. I think they are the cleanest of any animal I have worked with so far. My girl loved to play in piles of leaves lol. It was so funny. She would get the zoomies and run around and then just fall over. She would lay in my lap. She was great. Your pigs are beautiful. 😍

Latest posts