Goat Testing Lab Options?

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
I'd like to use WADDL but cost is a factor for me and from what I understood they charge like $8 more for non-Washington per sample. I think their non-Washington price was like $24 a sample. If I had high value goats I'd probably use them with no hesitation but I just have a little herd of meat mixes that don't bring in much when I sell the babies around here. I still think testing is the right thing to do but I'm a hobby farmer on a budget.

I thought WADDL had a package deal. High value$ goats are no different then low value$ goats when it comes to emotional attachment, feed, care etc.
When we had all unregistered goats and the average cost of a kid was $150 we still tested for everything.

OneFineAcre

Herd Master
Reaction score
If I had high value goats I'd probably use them with no hesitation but I just have a little herd of meat mixes that don't bring in much when I sell the babies around here. I still think testing is the right thing to do but I'm a hobby farmer on a budget.

I've got a couple of fairly high value goats, and a bunch of so, so value goats. But I am also a hobby farmer on a budget and that's why we may not test anymore. Like I said, we have tested for 4 or 5 years and have always been negative. I don't necessarily see the value in continuing whole herd testing. If we bring in a new goat then we can quarantine and test that one.

Last edited:

MargaretClare

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I thought WADDL had a package deal. High value$ goats are no different then low value$ goats when it comes to emotional attachment, feed, care etc.
When we had all unregistered goats and the average cost of a kid was $150 we still tested for everything.

I'm still definitely going to test but cost is the reason I'm looking into a couple of different labs. I don't understand why out of state would be charged more though. :/

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
I'm still definitely going to test but cost is the reason I'm looking into a couple of different labs. I don't understand why out of state would be charged more though. :/

Generally because state labs are taxpayer funded. Our Lab for NC is Rollins. They charge (and this is the increase this year) $1.65 for instate Out of State is double... that is still only $3.30
They charge this for CAE and Johnes. They do not do CL there but will ship our samples for us after taking what they need to UC Davis. I pay out of state fees for UC Davis at $14.50 per test. It may have gone up this year.
At $1.65 for CAE and knowing titers can and do change with age this generally is the one test every breeder tests for annually. I really cannot understand how that wouldn't be at least worth it for CAE.

MargaretClare

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
@MargaretClare Have you looked at UC Davis? I believe they will run all three tests for ~$15 I think.
@babsbag do you know?
I did look on their site but the only caprine tests I found were G6S, freemartin, and some other tests I didn't recognize. I might just not know how to navigate the site. The most common pricing I found was $16-$17 per sample for CAE, CL, and Johnes as a group, which is fine, but $24 per sample is a bit much when it wouldn't be unusual to only get $125 (sometimes less) for an 8 month old doeling around here. My goats are meat mixes with no registration in their background and prices around here are low probably because of desert hay prices.

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
I did look on their site but the only caprine tests I found were G6S, freemartin, and some other tests I didn't recognize. I might just not know how to navigate the site. The most common pricing I found was $16-$17 per sample for CAE, CL, and Johnes as a group, which is fine, but $24 per sample is a bit much when it wouldn't be unusual to only get $125 (sometimes less) for an 8 month old doeling around here. My goats are meat mixes with no registration in their background and prices around here are low probably because of desert hay prices.

I think you may have been looking at UC Davis's VGL site. They do genetic testing (DNA) this is a great lab for G6S testing as well as Casein. You want UC Davis vet diagnostics.
This is what you want-
http://cahfs.ucdavis.edu/test_fees/faq.cfm

Green Acres Farm

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
The lab I’ve used most often is Delta Livestock Diagnostics. They charge $5.00 for Johnes, $6.00 for CAE, and $7.00 for CL. My first couple of years, I just tested for CAE (plus 2 abscesses cultured for CL through WADDL- both negative). This past year I tested for CAE & Johnes. My plan next year is to test for CAE & CL. I plan to rotate each year what I test for in addition to CAE. It isn’t ideal, but saves a lot of money and is better than nothing I think.

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
The lab I’ve used most often is Delta Livestock Diagnostics. They charge $5.00 for Johnes, $6.00 for CAE, and $7.00 for CL. My first couple of years, I just tested for CAE (plus 2 abscesses cultured for CL through WADDL- both negative). This past year I tested for CAE & Johnes. My plan next year is to test for CAE & CL. I plan to rotate each year what I test for in addition to CAE. It isn’t ideal, but saves a lot of money and is better than nothing I think.
I didn't see what type tests they use.

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
I have used UC Davis and Sage Ag labs for testing. I also don't test any of my old goats for CAE; I only test ones that have not been tested by me or by the seller. But then I don't buy a lot of goats and my goats never leave the farm. I have about 60 goats and the vast majority of them can be traced back to three I have owned for 10 years. The others have come from herds that I know test and have been testing for years as well, all negative. Here is some interesting reading if anyone is interested in learning more about CAE.

http://www.cornerstonefarm.net/gtcareof.html#caeq&a

As far as using UC Davis for out of State people I think that it is a lot more money. I am going to try this lab next time I need one tested.

http://ubrl.universalbiopharma.org/how-to-send-to-lab/livestock-diagnostics-schedule-pricing.html

They also do pregnancy testing on goats from milk and also Johne's from milk. Very interesting lab and their prices are good.