1. BYH Official Poll: What are the things that you should consider before buying herds?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  2. 2019 What's up with my bucks hair? - Discussion thread.
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
  4. BYH Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!
    Dismiss Notice

Goat Testing Lab Options?

Discussion in 'Diseases & Injuries - Goats' started by MargaretClare, Oct 4, 2018.

1. Oct 10, 2018
    MargaretClare

MargaretClare Ridin' The Range

That's another question I had that I forgot to ask. If a goat does come back positive or suspect is there a specific timeframe to wait before retesting and do I just pull out and isolate that goat or should I move all negative goats into a clean area?

When I first learned about testing goats and I read up on it Johnes scared the crap out of me (and still does) and I'm amazed at how few people in my area that test only test for CAE and CL.

2. Oct 10, 2018
    germanchickTX

germanchickTX Chillin' with the herd

I believe the re-test was a month later. But they will tell you...
    Im not too worried about any of the tests I’m doing, any of the diseases that can affect a human are, if I read right, treatable in humans.
    Naturally I wouldn’t consume anything by choice and prefer my animals to be negative.
    That’s why I also don’t sell any goats with any problem, not even as pet. I know how ppl are; suddenly they want baby goats out of them or something happens and they have to sell, and so the disease gets circulated...
    If possible (in this case it was basically a physical problem),I rather butcher for my own use and so far I didn’t run into any disease problem yet...

MargaretClare likes this.