Goatgurl - life goes on at someday farm

Devonviolet

Herd Master
Reaction score
Wow, you got some good looking ducks there. I love that irridescent green on the black ducks! And the barred chocolate ducks are pretty too. Your SL tried to interest me in a couple barred lavenders. They were pretty, but the lavender & white ones just won my heart.

While we are on the topic of my ducks. I have a question. One of e two drakes keeps hanging out in the coop we have for them. A couple days after we got them, I saw the other drake (the one we got to butcher) bullying the one, that is hiding out now. That evening, he was hiding out in the coop and DH has only seen him out once. Any suggestions? We would like to just butcher the bully drake, but we have too much going on right now to take time out to butcher him.

goatgurl

Herd Master
Reaction score
@Devonviolet my first thought is that the bully drake may be your aggressive breeder and you might want to keep him instead of the more timid one, just a thought. I have never had one of the drakes become aggressive with me but they will bully one another. my only suggestion is to separate them and I know that will cause a hardship on you. if they have enough space to get away from one another they do ok but if they're in close quarters it can be a problem. know that's not much help but really don't have any other suggestions.

CntryBoy777

Herd Master
Reaction score
Ya sure gotta watch those relaxers, they will sneak up on ya, but I've gotten use to them by now....been taking them for 10yrs now....I only take as a last resort tho, and with one kidney have to shy away from alcohol.
The ducks are really nice and since ours started laying, they are like clock-work....get 11 a day now....and yes they are oh so Good....:)

lcertuche

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I really want to get me some muscovies. A woman here sells them for $15 a head. I'm hoping to get a drake and a couple of girlfriends for him this spring. I thought I could start them out in a chicken tractor for a couple of weeks until they get used to here but will have to build one or three soon. I also want to get some Dixie Rainbow chicks, the reason for 3 tractors.

I still don't know if we have to move or not so it's all up in the air for now. I told DH if we do then it has to be somewhere I can keep my chickens and have a place for a garden. Time will tell.

goatgurl

Herd Master
Reaction score
@lcertuche the lady that @Devonviolet and I got ours from charges $12.50 for the hens and $15 for the drakes. someday when you're out and about holler at me and i'll take you over to her house or let me know what color you want and I can get them and them meet you at cv's in Mansfield or wally world in greenwood. they are so much fun and I love the eggs and the meat is good too. have you ever had the Dixie rainbow chicks before? I've read about them but have never gotten any. I am experimenting with crossing dark Cornish with rir, barred rocks and black australorps. i'll let you know how it works out. you're suppose to get a bigger breasted good laying bird. we'll see. I hope you find out soon if you have to move or not. I hate having life on hold.

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
Do you need a body of water for ducks or can you use a pool? We have thought about some Runners but we already have enough on our plate. LOL

NH homesteader

Herd Master
Reaction score
Please post how it works out for you with the Dark Cornish! We are going to cross a Dark Cornish with our Dominiques, Dorkings and several random layers (Wyandotte, Orpington and NH Red) to see if we can make a better meat/ dual purpose bird.

goatgurl

Herd Master
Reaction score
@Mike CHS you can use a kiddie pool, a lot of people do but I do have a pond behind my house that they love to play in. and for some reason in the winter time they love to go get in dstr#3's pool as well as using the pond. come spring they quit using the pool and use the pond exclusively. strange ducks. the important thing to remember about ducks is that they need water deep enough to keep their nostrils clean. some folks say they need water to breed but no one told my guys that, lol. the runners would be good for your dogs to herd, give the sheepls a rest.
@NH homesteader I got one hatch out of the dark Cornish roo and some black marans last fall. after a raccoon did all the damage he could do before I did all the damage I could do to him I ended up with one lonely hen who is just beautiful and is laying beautifully. I also have 3 dark Cornish hens and 2 of them will go broody at the drop of a hat. I had one hatch out 6 chicks a couple of weeks ago. crazy girl, its janurary and she wants babies. they all 6 doing great, she's a good mama. I also have a rir roo and I think he is the baby daddy. i'll let you know how they grow and do.