Gracie, oh my...

mystang89

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I like the gate. Just a heads up, I watched in amazement as my female GP, 67 pounds, squeezed herself through a 9"x12" pop door into the chicken coop. Then I watched in further amazement as Parker, 105 pounds, did the same thing. I thought I had them blocked out of the chicken coop with that little hole...….

This. I had to put livestock fencing on my gate, (same type as yours) in order to stop them.
I love how you solved the problem with the creek.

bethh

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I like the gate. Just a heads up, I watched in amazement as my female GP, 67 pounds, squeezed herself through a 9"x12" pop door into the chicken coop. Then I watched in further amazement as Parker, 105 pounds, did the same thing. I thought I had them blocked out of the chicken coop with that little hole...….
Oh Lord is all I can say.

walkonfarms

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
She is just a puppy and will be until two years old. She should not be left alone with the chicken unsupervised. Being a puppy she will end up chasing the chickens for something to do but she will try that with any livestock. She needs to be kept next to the chickens unless you are watching her. Even if you get goats to put in with her you will need a couple of older goats that have been with an LGD so that they know how and when to teach her manors. They can and will teach proper behavior then you can and faster. My LGDs watch over goats, sheep, and chickens. It takes a lot of work the first two years to make them good guardians and not pests.

walkonfarms

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
The goats can be either polled (have no horns naturally) or they were disbuded (horn buds are burned at a week or two old so that the horns to not grow) as kids. You do not have to buy goats with horns.

walkonfarms

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Young LGD learn to either climb out over fencing or dig under when they feel they need to tend to something on the other side of the fence. Be prepared to run a hot wire along the top of the fence to discourage climbing.

bethh

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
She is just a puppy and will be until two years old. She should not be left alone with the chicken unsupervised. Being a puppy she will end up chasing the chickens for something to do but she will try that with any livestock. She needs to be kept next to the chickens unless you are watching her. Even if you get goats to put in with her you will need a couple of older goats that have been with an LGD so that they know how and when to teach her manors. They can and will teach proper behavior then you can and faster. My LGDs watch over goats, sheep, and chickens. It takes a lot of work the first two years to make them good guardians and not pests.
Thank you