Grants mini herd

B&B Happy goats

Herd Master
Reaction score
@Grant, I woke up this year deaf n my left ear...not hearing where sounds are coming from is maddening, am just getting a puppy now to train as my "hearing" dog, he is a labradoodle. So nice to meet someone who understands the frustration of not triangulating sounds :highfive: :hugs
Just read your post, I just had macular surgury due to a hole and a bleed, and am going to be raising labradoodles....how do you like your pyradoodle...does she shed as much ?

Last edited:

Grant

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
@Grant, I woke up this year deaf n my left ear...not hearing where sounds are coming from is maddening, am just getting a puppy now to train as my "hearing" dog, he is a labradoodle. So nice to meet someone who understands the frustration of not triangulating sounds :highfive: :hugs
Just read your post, I just had macular surgury due to a hole and a bleed, and am going to be raising labradoodles....how do you like your pyradoodle...does she shed as much ?

We bought 1, Murphy our male, about 1.5 years ago. Bought a full sibling this fall, so let’s say I like them. Very smart, no shedding, very loyal and protective. Take all the good things about the Pyrenees add in the intelligence, no shedding or dander and play fullness of a poodle.....that’s them.

410farmer

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I’ll bring in another steer calf just before I butcher.

I talk to them when I’m around them always, especially when feeding/watering. They associate the treat with my voice or my wife’s and what we call them. Names can pay off. No different than training a dog really. I’ve trained 2 service dogs through the years. One is my own, I’m deaf in one ear so I can not triangulate sound. Hearing things I can’t locate is frustrating. She is trained for doors, phone, sirens when driving and she taught herself to alert to my gps. Guess she has a fear of getting lost.

My wife has macular degeneration. I trained 1 dog for her to locate dropped small items. He would find it and put his nose against it so she could pick it up. We lost him last year, I think I’ll train the older Pyredoodle to do it. It does take some time and I’ll have to clean up his leash/behavior training. He’s not bad, just needs some polishing.
I’ve decided to wait another year before I get my heifers, my mom having issues so untill this situation settle I’m going to wait it out. Most of my pets/livestock was highly treat motivated. My dog don’t even listen to me anymore unless he know it’s either time to come in or feeding time smh

Grant

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Sorry to hear about the bad luck but wise to know the timing isn’t right. With family stuff this week I put up a feed shed. 10x12 just for on site hay, feed, cow stuff. I have a 26x36 barn, but with the tractor, attachments, tool cabinets, shelves, pick up, lawn mowers, compressor and work van, it’s a little full. 😆

Grant

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I have a question for the group.
I have the dexter/highland cross steer. He was born in April. I know typical to finish them out at about 2 years, but I’m not sure if I’d be better off butchering next November or so, or winter him again and finish him out around April or May?

Your thoughts and opinions welcomed.

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
It would really depend on how he looks. If he gains real good this summer, and if you have a good fall of grass growth, and he looks well filled out, then doing him in Nov or Dec would probably be good. One thing to consider..... "Everyone" wants to get stuff killed & in the freezer in the fall..... and you have deer season to contend with and that puts a strain on butchers. I would make an appt for maybe Dec, most are getting done with the fall rush, just have deer.... and if he isn't finished enough then cancel and make another one for spring. He will not gain as good through the winter so you will actually lose a little of the "finish"/fat gain . That said, if you want t-bones, you have to kill before 30 months due to the federal rules on BSE and the spinal cord. Since I do ny strips, rib-eyes and tenderloin (filets) not a problem, but I like the backbones for doing up like bbq ribs.

You will find that getting a fall appt will be tough unless you do it way ahead , for the reasons I listed. I honestly like to kill in about late July or August. Plenty of good grass most years, for gain, and before it gets crazy at the slaughter houses.

Grant

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Got the cross fence done yesterday finally. Finished just as the rain got here thank goodness. Now the boys and girls can be out at the same time and idont have to rotate them. Plus 4 hours a day on pasture just wasn’t enough and I was feeding hay even though I had pasture. Now the 2 boys have 2.5 acres as do the girls. Have to keep water for the boys, the girls got the pond.

Grant

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
It would really depend on how he looks. If he gains real good this summer, and if you have a good fall of grass growth, and he looks well filled out, then doing him in Nov or Dec would probably be good. One thing to consider..... "Everyone" wants to get stuff killed & in the freezer in the fall..... and you have deer season to contend with and that puts a strain on butchers. I would make an appt for maybe Dec, most are getting done with the fall rush, just have deer.... and if he isn't finished enough then cancel and make another one for spring. He will not gain as good through the winter so you will actually lose a little of the "finish"/fat gain . That said, if you want t-bones, you have to kill before 30 months due to the federal rules on BSE and the spinal cord. Since I do ny strips, rib-eyes and tenderloin (filets) not a problem, but I like the backbones for doing up like bbq ribs.

You will find that getting a fall appt will be tough unless you do it way ahead , for the reasons I listed. I honestly like to kill in about late July or August. Plenty of good grass most years, for gain, and before it gets crazy at the slaughter houses.

I don’t think he’ll be ready by July. He’d only be about 15 months, Dec is more like the right timing. Now to find a good local butcher.

Grant

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Really enjoying the great weather. Sure there was a little ice on the water this morning, but it’s January for God’s sake. Not to mention it was in the mid 40s this afternoon and the wind was not blowing 40 mph. There’s green grass growing in the fields and the cattle are growing, adding weight and kind of loving life, even if they don’t completely love being separated. No one has crossed a fence, they’ve tested it, but they are where they are supposed to be. Not to mention it’s nice to have them meet me in the pens and at least act like they are happy to see me. Split about 1/2 bucket of feed between the 4 just as a treat for them being there. Makes us all happy I guess.

Grant

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Today I finally got electricity to the barn today. Dug a shallow ditch to the barn about 110 feet put down a conduit and ran electricity to the barn. I had already wired the barn so being able to turn on the lights was very nice. I had already hung led lights and put in the outlets. Nice to have electricity so I can hook up a battery tender also if needed.