Grants mini herd

410farmer

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Im so envious very nice property. I was actually looking at a 20 acre property recently already had stables, barn, indoor/outdoor kennel, fenced pasture, and water throughout the pasture..BUT! The house was horrible and to far from the city. I usually go the diy route but I think I’m going to start hiring out more for future projects don’t have as much time anymore...
Is that pond on your property? Did you make it?

Grant

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Im so envious very nice property. I was actually looking at a 20 acre property recently already had stables, barn, indoor/outdoor kennel, fenced pasture, and water throughout the pasture..BUT! The house was horrible and to far from the city. I usually go the diy route but I think I’m going to start hiring out more for future projects don’t have as much time anymore...
Is that pond on your property? Did you make it?
I had the pond built and yes it’s on my land. Last winter a local excavation guy really needed some work and dug it out and built the dam for $3000. Bargain. Worked out well for him, he got about 4 more jobs out of it. I’m 10 minutes to the local businesses in town. It’s a great location.

410farmer

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I had the pond built and yes it’s on my land. Last winter a local excavation guy really needed some work and dug it out and built the dam for $3000. Bargain. Worked out well for him, he got about 4 more jobs out of it. I’m 10 minutes to the local businesses in town. It’s a great location.
3k wow def a deal, how deep and wide is it?...how are the cattle holding up with the winter weather

Grant

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
It is about 8 foot deep if completely full, but it seems t hang out between 1/2-2/3 full most of the time. The Highlands love the cool weather. They have monstorously thick hides and all that hair. Now the British Park/Wagyu...he’s kind of a baby and gets cold. If you look out in the field and don’t see him....check the building. He’s probably bedded down in the straw. He gets out, but he’s kind of a wimp. That and he loves his treats. Here will moo at you basically asking if I want to feed him now. They aren’t spoiled at all.
3k wow def a deal, how deep and wide is it?...how are the cattle holding up with the winter weather

Grant

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Got back home last night. Livestock looks good, my wife daughter and granddaughter look better. I did learn my bull learned a bad habit while gone. He wants his head in the bucket the second you come through the gate. Glad he’s not scared, he’s getting too close to be that aggressive with food. Tonight I fed them. He tried to put his head in, I lifted the bucket, he swung his head and got his nose wacked, twice. He learned a quick manners lesson. We’ll see if it takes tomorrow.

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
We have the same problem with one of the house cats but he is a lot easier to push out of the way ;) One of my alpacas thinks he should put his nose in the tray as I put in the pellets but again, easy to shoo away especially because he REALLY doesn't want to be touched so all I have to do is reach my free hand toward him. I hope your bull learns his manners because he's WAY too big and potentially dangerous even if he isn't trying to hurt anyone.

Duckfarmerpa1

Herd Master
Reaction score
We had a small pond on our land when we bought our land. My hubby is a fun guy. He dug it out himself with our equipment Into an ‘S’ shape for our last name. It’s pretty cool. It’s also 8’ deep. Last year we had snapping turtles that attacked my goose. We had to trap them out. This spring we might dig it out again, to get the turtles better, and make it deeper since it is now our water source for the garden and some of the barn animals in the winter.

Grant

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Tonight I went out, he stayed about a step back, as I got close to the feeder he started to put his head in I just raised my hand and he took a step back. Good boy. We’ll see if he continues to remember. Otherwise it was a beautiful day. I bought a bunch of holly plants from a landscaper who had removed them from another property. They had only been in about 1.5 years But I got the 19 for $45. Problem is now. I have to dig 19 holes...in rocky Ozarks soil. Got 15 in this afternoon. I’ll finish up tomorrow.
We have the same problem with one of the house cats but he is a lot easier to push out of the way ;) One of my alpacas thinks he should put his nose in the tray as I put in the pellets but again, easy to shoo away especially because he REALLY doesn't want to be touched so all I have to do is reach my free hand toward him. I hope your bull learns his manners because he's WAY too big and potentially dangerous even if he isn't trying to hurt anyone.
[/QUOTE

Grant

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Yesterday I had to clean stalls and pens. All the wet and cold we have had and me being gone the straw piled up. Tractor got a workout hauling it all out. Afterward the tractor had a broken seat bracket fixed that and changed out the glow plugs. I only had 1 operational and was causing hard cold starts. Much better now.