Grants mini herd

410farmer

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Looks like things are coming along nicely, it’s pretty warm in my parts too for the times. We barely had a winter just a couple cold weeks and a little bit of snow. I’m starting my landscaping next week

Grant

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Looks like things are coming along nicely, it’s pretty warm in my parts too for the times. We barely had a winter just a couple cold weeks and a little bit of snow. I’m starting my landscaping next week
I only plowed the driveway 1x this winter. Crazy. I’m about to stop supplemental feeding to the calves. Grass and clover coming in strong.

Grant

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Quiet here lately. Raining every day and cooler. I’m working from home covering for people who are home with their kids. Cattle are great, eating the new grass day and only complaining a little about only getting feed every 2 days. Olaf has become very fond of scratching. He now let’s me scratch him from the side and doesn’t move at all when I’m beside him and reach out for him. I’m glad about that since I wasn’t real fond of scratching him from straight on. He still wants his head scratched though. I don’t mind if he initiates that as he won’t feel threatened when he comes to me. Having a bull that will let you handle him is a great feeling.

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Congrats on getting the bull to come to you and letting you work from his side. I think you will be very glad to have him so quiet. Just watch him a little closer when the girls are in heat. He might forget his manners ....:hide

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I had a cow once that went to the back of the pasture to calve. I was excited and wanted everyone to see him, so I picked him up and carried him up front with the cow following. I didn't realize it, but I imprinted him. Fast forward 2-3 years later when he was a big handsome bull with a wicked set of curved horns. He didn't like anyone in "his" pasture, but would come to the fence when he saw me, put his head over the fence for me to scratch his ears and behind his horns. With me, he was like a big dog, anybody else, it was game on.

Thanks for reminding me of that.

Grant

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I had a cow once that went to the back of the pasture to calve. I was excited and wanted everyone to see him, so I picked him up and carried him up front with the cow following. I didn't realize it, but I imprinted him. Fast forward 2-3 years later when he was a big handsome bull with a wicked set of curved horns. He didn't like anyone in "his" pasture, but would come to the fence when he saw me, put his head over the fence for me to scratch his ears and behind his horns. With me, he was like a big dog, anybody else, it was game on.

Thanks for reminding me of that.
Good memory.

Grant

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
With all of the craziness I’m working from home. 10 hr days on a computer. Booooo.
Cuts into my outdoor time. I did get out with the herd, put out some hay and scratches. Everyone is doing well. Both of my heifers are coming in heat regularly and Olaf is showing interest. Thank goodness the fences have held up...so far. Every month of age helps me right now. I’ll put them together in July, due to age, if the fences will keep them apart. A couple of quick pics too.
95A177B0-14B5-4F7C-9AD8-BC0D5283EB1D.jpeg
95A177B0-14B5-4F7C-9AD8-BC0D5283EB1D.jpeg
504576E8-AF45-4F90-AAC1-C462568F28B2.jpeg

Grant

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Well knowing cattle they will point out any weak link in the fence. My bull has decided he wants to eat in the neighbors field. Luckily I was home when he has done it 2x. Thought I fixed the fence well enough yesterday. Guess not. Luckily he hasn’t gone anywhere, he just wants to eat over there. No one has cattle around me. Tomorrow a new 400 foot run will get rebuilt. Cattle. 🤬