Grass identification

Tr4ever

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Hi,
I'm just north of Seattle, and have a small field that is covered in some kind of really tall grass. The stuff goes over 6' high. The field just got mowed, but i tried to take a couple of pics of some of it growing in the blackberries.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Sorry, terrible pics, and my signature thumb in the corner :). Any ideas on what type of grass this is and if sheep would like it? If i kept it shorter would it to be at all palatable, for sheep?

Or would I be better off to try to plant somthing else?

Thank you

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I have no idea what it is, you may have to ask someone local to your area. Or contact your County Agent, if it is undesirable for livestock, he would be able to tell you what to do.
Looking at those thick stalks, sheep won’t and can’t eat those. I doubt if any grazing animals would. If it is kept cut, the young growth might be palatable to sheep.

Tr4ever

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Thank you Baymule. I'll look into contacting a county agent/extension office. I listened to a lecture from them a few years ago, and they didn't seem near as helpful as other extension offices i had read about. But maybe that was just that agent. They seemed fixated on getting access to your property to inspect so they could "help". Kind of like the old joke "i'm from the goverment, and i'm here to help"

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
"help" :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I looked up reed canary grass........ that's some not so great stuff.

I quote-

Horse won't eat it, heifers won't eat it, and the goats won't eat it. If it is the only thing left and they are down to the dirt, the goats will relunctantly nibble on it. It is very coarse in texture and they just don't like it.

Although it is a hardy, common species found worldwide — and generally not considered problematic for livestock — potentially dangerous levels of alkaloid toxins can accumulate in the grass during drought conditions and during regrowth after grazing or mowing.

After looking Reed Canary grass over, if this is what you have, graze it. if you or your livestock don't like it, get some pigs and let them root it all out. LOL How many acres do you have?

Tr4ever

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Thank you Alaskan, Baymule,

Reed canary grass sounds and looks about right. The area it grows is slow to dry out in the spring, and its so thick that it crowds out the blackberry vines. I have about a third of an acre on the other side of the road from our place the road is bermed up so that area holds water longer.

I have plenty that needs immediate attention around the house (dog fencing and an icecream break) so i think putting pigs over there will have to wait.

The cement flat work got done last week. Next is the dirt. The county requires a certain amount of organic matter in the top soil, before they will buy everything off as complete. In the big picture, I guess i'm ok with that, as it was part of my plan anyways. Parts of the property desperately needs organics in the dirt, and the county really only requires it where the dirt was disturbed during the construction. So my future plan is for a lot more compost than they are requireing. Once the dirt is doctored up i can start on the fence. The local tractor supply has 8' tposts and 6' no-climb in stock (yeah, I am listening to the voices of experience, and Ridgetop gets too big of a kick out of saying "i told you so", for me to risk shorter fencing).

My little beat up tractor needs attention, the wheels are filled, and the valve stem and area around it have corroded and started leaking on one side. Maybe calcium cloride in there, but i understand that smells bad and i couldnt smell it, so maybe somthing else. Also looks like someone else had a go at a repair on it in the past the rim is out of production and i'm not finding one after market. I am going to need to repair it to do some of the other jobs i need to do. Queue the Belafonte "There's a hole in my bucket" song. :(

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Fencing is one of those jobs that is a lot of work, but it sure is nice when it's done.