Gray fox

Jesusfreak101

Herd Master
Reaction score
We recently had two chickens missing and had found a hole in the fence that we couldn't explain we fixed it and had just assumed it was the stray dogs running lose (pack of four medium to small in size). Anyways this morning I am looking out the window, then the goats bunch up watching something, the chickens are running away from the fence the ducks and everything is doing the same and what should I see a gray fox the last animal II want shoot..... Is there any way to deal with him that doesn't involve shooting him.... If I trap him its not like I can not relocate him.. We live in the county and obviously wildlife part of it (i realize he wants a meal but I want my animals for my family). I just prefer not to kill him for eating but my husband says since he now knows about our love stock he be back and he won't stop until he figures how to get in. By the time I got my gun out and ran outside he was gone I assume either the dog or the goose scared him(I doubt goose but my husband thinks its possible, (had ducklings hatch and she protecting the momma duck and babies from everyone, )). Thoughts??

Jesusfreak101

Herd Master
Reaction score
Oh and our fencing is cattle fencing that's re-enforced by chicken wire, horse wire we have an electric fence running on top. We have cattle in the fields so the bottom electric fencing we can't have (family land and can't risk the cow stepping on it the have stepped on some of our other fencing I need to redue again temporary fixed it and so far after fixing the foxes hole as well he didn't get in.) He coming from the back pasture so I can imagine he found us and decided this would help him stock up of food.

greybeard

Herd Master
Reaction score
Live trap it/relocate it far away, shoot it, or get a dog that will run it over to your neighbor's place are your options.

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
Know your state laws. Here in NC if trapped you may NOT relocate. PERIOD!

We have had a run of fox here as of late... juveniles. One hit by a car. Neighbor shot one. we will see how many more are around. The neighbor never shoots anything wildlife so he must have had a good reason. The one that comes here paces back and forth along side the chicken pen. Chickens aren't in their pen anymore. They are all on my porch. :/

Must have been a fertile year for them because so many people we know (over 2 counties) seem to be over run.

Use the pelt if you can, don't waste it. :)

greybeard

Herd Master
Reaction score
Know your state laws. Here in NC if trapped you may NOT relocate. PERIOD!
:thumbsup
Evidently, the same applies here, which is the same state OP lives in.

Rabies Quarantine
It is a Class C misdemeanor to transport or sell live foxes, coyotes and raccoons from, to, or within this state. For additional information, please contact the Zoonosis Control Division of the Texas Department of Health at (512) 458-7255.

For other information concerning hunting and fishing regulations, parks, wildlife or other subjects related to TPWD, call our toll-free number: (800) 792-GAME to report a violation of the state's game and fish laws. A reward may be offered to eligible callers who provide information which leads to a conviction

However, it seems there is an exception:
Nuisance fur-bearing animals may be captured and relocated IF the person has received authorization from the department and the owner of the property where the release will occur. A monthly report is required and must be submitted to the department on number and kind of fur-bearers captured, location of release site, name and address of person authorized to release.
https://tpwd.texas.gov/regulations/...imal-regulations/nuisance-fur-bearing-animals

Best option is the permanent one, but OP cannot retain the pelt:
Landowners or their agents may take nuisance fur-bearing animals in any number by any means at any time on that person's land without the need for a hunting or trapping license. However, fur-bearing animals or their pelts taken for these purposes may not be retained or possessed by anyone at any time except licensed trappers during the lawful open season and possession periods.
(this is why I don't bother skinning out the beaver I trap)

Jesusfreak101

Herd Master
Reaction score
we actually have a dog she an Australian Sheppard lap mix and its the second time he been around with her so that another problem. Yes Texas isn't keen about relocating animals and i know of no one who would take a fox on their property around here at-least no one with enough land for him to live without becoming a problem. I might lose this battle but he fine if he stays out back or goes anywhere else on the property but near the houses. there about a mile between where we know is a fox den and our house so he traveling a ways for food so he might have babies or is just got chased out of his territory by the coyotes or hogs who knows. either way i cant afford him killing the birds or biting anyone. i dont see a fox going for my human babies but i prefer not to take that risk the dog for what ever reason doesnt bark and i am not sure if she is what scared him off or if it was a goose. he went for a hole we had fixed so he couldnt get in that way this time but between the goats and the cows i am constantly trying to keep the fence fixed. we had a cow lay and calve on part of our fence i still have to out there and finish fixing that part that she tore down.