HarDel Rabbitry Journal

B&B Happy goats

Herd Master
Reaction score
SO here's a question for my bunny people following along. The 7 week olds are insanely tame. if you go out to the skid they swarm around you for treats and cuddles and pets. They'll jump in your lap and don't mind being picked up. I've literally pet these babies every day of their lives but here's the thing, the tans have all started biting, HARD not just a light nip like they want a pet or they're tasting to see if your clothes are edible. Today I had one bite my leg, thumb, and pointer finger super hard in the span of a few minutes. I said ow and pushed her away everytime. She just came right back and kept at it. Why have they started this and how do I curb it? They are going to their homes next week and I don't need them biting their new owners!
:barnie
@Bunnylady @B&B Happy goats @Baymule
That biting is nonthing I have experienced, ... ours stay in their hutches full time and the doe's will bite when they are ready to kindle or when with new kits...sorry I don't have any insight for you that would be helpful :(

Miss mouse

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I waited all day and still no babies. 🤞I hope They're in the nest box overnight. I'll be devastated if they're born on the wire again. What if I don't get to them in time 😭 okay okay, power of positive thinking. I'm going to wake up to two gorgeous happy litters in two perfect nests ♥️
Goodnight all!

Miss mouse

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Everyone arrived today just as I was on my way to work. Speckle bum had 9 and chunky had 8. I love them so much!
28563364-FE03-4352-9609-F6F5726FD388.jpeg
433A53ED-E692-46D2-A68A-967039F0A9B2.jpeg
93B8AD83-91D1-4DC4-B23F-45B3FD4BC983.jpeg
BFDCB029-2E00-4BCF-8FF7-586FCC39DCF1.jpeg

Miss mouse

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I'm going to do my word update and picture update separate again. Where to start! There's so much wonderfulness happening.
Okay so my boyfriend rearranged the rabbit area for me and it's sooo much nicer now. We used to have the red "hospital" hutch a short walk away from the main shed and it meant that I was really starting to keep a little bit of supplies with the hutch and the rest in the shed and it was a little annoying but he moved it all close together and put the picnic table out front so I can do prep work, grooming, and cuddles right outside the shed door. He also brought me his red trunk that can fit a bale of hay in it and propped it up right outside the shed door so I don't have to go far for my hay. It also looks super sharp with the red trunk and red hutch matching each other. :love

The babies are doing awesome. Yesterday the runt from the older litter had lost some weight and had only been staying level the 2 days before so that was a red flag. So I brought him in the house and gave him 5 ml of KMR so he'd get a boost and have the energy to suckle last night. It worked perfectly and he was up 10 grams today. Hopefully that's all he needed to stay on track. He is 2 weeks now so hopefully he's figured out to eat some hay from the nest. :fl

The new babies are all doing well. It's day 3 and their hair is starting to come in. Chunky's babies are looking mostly fawn so far but a couple are showing some signs that they may be sandy! That would be cool.:bunny

Speckle bum's babies are really coming in all over the map. We have 3 that are mostly black with a white mark on the forehead, 2 that have white toes and some white on the head and chest, 2 that are turning brown with white bellies, and 2 that are black with white bellies. All the ones with white bellies have white ears too and it's super cute!

Every stage of bunnies is so cute but I can't help getting excited about the next stage with each one! arrival, fur, eyes, moving around, puff balls, out of the nest, curious and playful, weaning; it's all amazing 💗

Miss mouse

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
The days run together so this update is kind of sequential but I'm not really sure what happened on which day anymore 😂
So the above baby that needed a booster meal did well and has been gaining weight ever since. We had 3 more that lost weight and needed to be fed but they all seem to be recovering as well. Pretty thrilled that everyone is doing so well.

One of our litters is developing really cool colors so my BF wants to keep the parents to try to figure out how to intentionally get the color. Unfortunately I had already found homes for them thinking we didn't need them anymore so I feel really bad telling people we changed our minds.

We seem to have the snuffles going through the herd. The FG's came with it, the CD's came with it, and one of the does I've had for a while has developed it pretty bad. her first litter that haven't' been exposed to any of the new rabbits also have it so I'm guessing it was lying dormant with mom and the change in weather has everyone's immune systems low. I'm giving everyone some echinacea in addition to their ACV water and apple twigs. I'm hoping they all start mending without needing antibiotics. Any suggestions?

I the doe with snuffles also pulled way too much fur for her latest litter and shes getting super skinny, any suggestions how I can help her? She's on calf manna, ACV water, apple twigs, echinacea treats, and has all the pellets and hay she wants.

Pictures to follow. Thanks guys!

Miss mouse

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
So I finally found a vet that I could get to help me with the rabbits and we obtained baytril to put in the water. So we are commencing 10-14 days of treatment and hopefully this all gets cleared up after that! It kinda hurts my heart to listen to them sneeze and wheeze so I'll be happy when they're on the mend. Sales are on pause until we get this sorted but that really only affects 2.
YAY